The Student Room Group

Canadians are Trying to Rewrite the History of the 1812 War

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXAvOcY9TlE

The 1812 war was between the US and the British. Canada as a government didn't exist until 1867. Yet Canadians continue to claim that they beat America, when in reality the US never fought "Canada" and has more of right to claim victory than the British (because the US won the last major battle and ended British impressment, which was what started the war in the first place). So how could Canada have participated in the 1812 war, when at that time "Canada" was only known as a region of North America? It seems to me Canadians are looking for something to get patriotic about, but facts are facts. Is there nothing else Canadians can use for patriotism besides this fiction that's based on nothing but historically false mythology?

Here's an article from the March 2012 issue of the Canadian magazine Walrus titled "That Time We Beat the Americans".

http://walrusmagazine.com/article.php?ref=2012.03-essay-that-time-we-beat-the-americans

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
After googling this it looks more like no one won the war.
Reply 2
Original post by drknoble
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXAvOcY9TlE

The 1812 war was between the US and the British. Canada as a government didn't exist until 1867. Yet Canadians continue to claim that they beat America, when in reality the US never fought "Canada" and has more of right to claim victory than the British (because the US won the last major battle and ended British impressment, which was what started the war in the first place). So how could Canada have participated in the 1812 war, when at that time "Canada" was only known as a region of North America? It seems to me Canadians are looking for something to get patriotic about, but facts are facts. Is there nothing else Canadians can use for patriotism besides this fiction that's based on nothing but historically false mythology?

Here's an article from the March 2012 issue of the Canadian magazine Walrus titled "That Time We Beat the Americans".

http://walrusmagazine.com/article.php?ref=2012.03-essay-that-time-we-beat-the-americans

Americans didn't win the war of independence either they would have technically been British until the war was over.
Reply 3
Original post by Aj12
After googling this it looks more like no one won the war.

The war of 1812 was over British impressment or kidnapping of US merchant sailors. I think the US has more of a right to claim victory because we achieved everything we intended and won the battle of new orleans, which was the last major battle.

My main confusion is why are Canadians using a war that they never fought for their on patriotic purposes.

This is like if the US took the British and French 7 Years war and annually celebrated a victory for the US over the British, when in reality the British were more victorious over the French and the US wasn't even a country when it occurred.
Reply 4
The war of 1812 was over British impressment or kidnapping of US merchant sailors. I think the US has more of a right to claim victory because we achieved everything we intended and won the battle of new orleans, which was the last major battle.

My main confusion is why are Canadians using a war that they never fought for their on patriotic purposes.

This is like if the US took the British and French 7 Years war and annually celebrated a victory for the US over the British, when in reality the British were more victorious over the French and the US wasn't even a country when it occurred.

Noone won the war. New Orleans was one of the most pointless battles in history. it was only fought because of the time delay in getting news of the peace treaty. land borders hardly changed, America wanted Canada and they never achieved that. And the whole affair was just a sideshow for the Empire as they had bigger fish to fry with Napoleon. if there had been no war in Europe the US would of been utterly crushed.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by lambert1
Americans didn't win the war of independence either they would have technically been British until the war was over.

That doesn't make any sense. Th US declared independence in 1776 and achieve it in 1781. So are you saying all revolutionary wars weren't won by the rebels but by the country being rebelled against?
Reply 6
This is America's response to their claims

Reply 7
Original post by Wave
Noone won the war. New Orleans was one of the most pointless battles in history. it was only fought because of the time delay in getting news of the peace treaty. land borders hardly changed, America wanted Canada and they never achieved that. And the whole affair was just a sideshow for the Empire as they had bigger fish to fry with Napoleon. if there had been no war in Europe the US would of been utterly crushed.

The purpose of the 1812 war (from the American perspective) was NOT to take over the region Canada. It was to stop British impressment of US sailors and gain respect. This was achieved therefore the US has more of a right to claim victory.

Canada didn't exist as a government entity until 1867, so why are they celebrating something that they never participated in? Inferiority Complex?
Reply 8

Canada didn't exist as a government entity until 1867, so why are they celebrating something that they never participated in? Inferiority Complex?

Yes. How would you feel if you were Canada and everybody referred to you as "America Two" and "America's Hat" and "Diet America"?
Reply 9

The impressment issue is debatable, because the British were trying to get Royal Navy deserters back, while the Americans said that once they were in America the deserters were naturalised American citizens. Besides, Britain only needed to use impressment so it would have enough sailors to fight Napoleon, and by the time the war was over he had already been defeated.

In the end, neither Britain nor America achieved their aims, but both managed to repel the others invasion of their territory and so both sides can claim victory. The only people who really lost were Britain's Indian allies, who lost the former's protection.

I think the reason Canada celebrates it as their victory is because for the first two years any potential British reinforcements were fighting in Europe, so the majority of forces opposing the American invasion were local Canadian militias.
Reply 10
Original post by svelte
Yes. How would you feel if you were Canada and everybody referred to you as "America Two" and "America's Hat" and "Diet America"?

There are many countries around the world that are in a similar situation in regards to one country have a bigger culture and influence than the other. New Zealand is overshadowed by Australia. But why not be patriotic with the facts on your side?

It seems Canadians aren't happy with their history and achievements so they resort to fiction.
Reply 11
Original post by Arbolus
The impressment issue is debatable, because the British were trying to get Royal Navy deserters back, while the Americans said that once they were in America the deserters were naturalised American citizens. Besides, Britain only needed to use impressment so it would have enough sailors to fight Napoleon, and by the time the war was over he had already been defeated.

In the end, neither Britain nor America achieved their aims, but both managed to repel the others invasion of their territory and so both sides can claim victory. The only people who really lost were Britain's Indian allies, who lost the former's protection.

I think the reason Canada celebrates it as their victory is because for the first two years any potential British reinforcements were fighting in Europe, so the majority of forces opposing the American invasion were local Canadian militias.

If the US had used impressment against the British or any other country there would have been automatic war. The British, who were then one of world's superpowers, was trying to bully the young United States.

America did achieve its aim to stop British impressment and gain respect. So the US has more of a right to claim victory. Britain was a superpower and for a young and weak country to go toe to toe with the stronger country will always be chalked as a victory for the smaller country.

But those local militia were British not Canadian because it was a British territory.
Reply 12
I think the US has more of a right to claim victory because we achieved everything we intended and won the battle of new orleans, which was the last major battle.

Oh, I see, an American is complaining about Canadians.

/thread
[video="youtube;vxPRHXgYVlk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxPRHXgYVlk[/video]
Reply 14
If the US had used impressment against the British or any other country there would have been automatic war. The British, who were then one of world's superpowers, was trying to bully the young United States.

America did achieve its aim to stop British impressment and gain respect. So the US has more of a right to claim victory. Britain was a superpower and for a young and weak country to go toe to toe with the stronger country will always be chalked as a victory for the smaller country.

But those local militia were British not Canadian because it was a British territory.

The point is is that it wasn't the war that stopped impressment, it was simply the fact that it was no longer needed. Impressment would have stopped anyway regardless of whether or not America declared war. When you discount that America had neither gained nor lost anything by the end.

As for the nationality, the American Declaration of Independence wasn't signed until more than a year after the revolution began, and wasn't recognised until seven years after that. Would you then argue that Americans have no right to be proud of anything that happened before, because until 1776 they too were British?
Reply 15
Original post by Tahooper
Oh, I see, an American is complaining about Canadians.

/thread

Obviously I'm American, USA it clearly listed in location.
Reply 16
1812 The french go beat by the cold in Russia I know that. :biggrin:
Reply 17
Original post by Arbolus
The point is is that it wasn't the war that stopped impressment, it was simply the fact that it was no longer needed. Impressment would have stopped anyway regardless of whether or not America declared war. When you discount that America had neither gained nor lost anything by the end.

As for the nationality, the American Declaration of Independence wasn't signed until more than a year after the revolution began, and wasn't recognised until seven years after that. Would you then argue that Americans have no right to be proud of anything that happened before, because until 1776 they too were British?

Many wars end for reasons different from what started them. But the 1812 war stopped future impressment and future bullying from Britain. Like I said, name a country at that time that would've allow impressment of their sailors?

Your comments make no sense and ignore the universal understanding of a revolution. If the rebels succeed in their revolution, then they are no longer the nationality of the country they rebelled against and are historically considered a new nationality during and after the revolution.

The US revolution doesn't relate to Canada and the 1812 war. Canada can make no claim to the 1812 war because they weren't a government entity until 1867, nor were they in limbo of becoming a country when that war took place. The same way the US can't claim the 7 years war between the British and French.
Reply 18
Obviously I'm American, USA it clearly listed in location.

In History lessons I learn how to determine how reliable a source is by remembering the PACT:

Purpose
Author
Context
Tone

And for your OP it goes:

Purpose - To have a go at Canadians and make America seem great

Author - An American which means the source will contain bias which favours ideas which show America in a positive light and other countries in a bad way

Context - 2012, approximately 200 years after the "War of 1812" which means a lot of evidence will have been lost and some information may have become obscured during that time period + you are posting on a student forum comprised mostly of 14-21 year old who are probably more impressionable than the general population

Tone - Heavily biased, doesn't show the other side of the argument at all
Reply 19
All i know is when i was visiting family in Canada, everyone was talking about "the war of 1812". I never heard anyone say "we won the war" or any variation of that statement. If anything it was that the British defeated the Americans. Not knowing to much about the "war" I can't offer my opinion on who won but the claim that Canada are claiming victory for themselves seems obsolete to me after I spent a reasonable period of time in Canada and listening to peoples views on the "war".

Latest

Trending

Trending