The Student Room Group

Vac Schemes 2012: The early bird catches the firm!

Scroll to see replies

Hi guys... Does anyone know whether W&C actually recruit on a rolling basis and interview for TC's before the July deadline?

On their website they advise to submit applications before the deadline for "early consideration". Does this mean that they might read an application, but not notify a successful candidate until after the 31st of July, or do they start conducting interviews once they have filled the places for their vacation schemes?
Original post by 10801
It's a competency interview, so just based on the normal "give me an example of when you showed..." etc. There was nothing too unexpected but be prepared to tell them what other firms you've applied to! They wanted a full list of my other applications and whether they'd been successful or not! Good luck :smile:

Thanks a lot, best of luck to you with your other apps!
Reply 2522
Original post by russellkaminski
Hey, I got an offer on Friday, I know one other person on here has too.

Hey, thanks for the reply. Congratulations!

I am a bit worried cause my team won and I still haven't heard anything back. I thought we did really great together and it seems very strange that everyone else besides the ones who won getting offers. :frown:

I hope this will not mean a PFO on Monday... :frown: I thought we did really great. If it's gonna be PFO I will be unbelievably upset. Congratz again!
Original post by erus35

I am a bit worried cause my team won and I still haven't heard anything back. I thought we did really great together and it seems very strange that everyone else besides the ones who won getting offers. :frown:

I hope this will not mean a PFO on Monday... :frown: I thought we did really great. If it's gonna be PFO I will be unbelievably upset. Congratz again!

Winning team represent! Belle :wink:. I don't want to make you feel bad or anything but I got an offer yesterday too... though if you haven't heard I wouldn't start worrying prematurely since if they were definitely going to reject you, they would do it outright, surely? We did do great though!

Original post by Saf2307
VC Offer for Speechlys v. happy :smile:

If you don't mind me asking, how did they contact you? I had an interview last week and haven't yet heard, I'm hoping this means I'm at least on the "maybe" pile and they'll take me if they don't get anything better.
Original post by EvelyRose
Has anybody heard back from either Capsticks or White and Case?

Have a nice weekend :smile:

w&c vac scheme i suppose? if im not wrong based on past years, they usually get back around the middle of march. so just gotta sit tight and wait! i'm in the same boat as well. heh
Original post by glitchy21
I have actually. My friend forwarded me the actual email. Such a tool!!! The personal profiles they wrote for themselves were the best- and by best, I mean best at making them all look like complete idiots.

And thanks!

well if i do get in. i'm gg to keep a look out for that guy. haha

and dont mention it!
Reply 2526
Has anyone heard back from Bristows by any chance? I applied in early December and have yet to hear a peep ..

Also, anyone else for DLA Vac Scheme Leeds?

How do people feel about the level required in the regions compared to London? Do people think it's "easier" is secure a regional VC/TC, or that it's the same? Just curious!

Good luck everyone, PFOs are always demoralising, but tenacity is the key when it comes to VCs and TCs.
Reply 2527
Original post by erus35

Did either of you glean what exactly DLA were looking for successful candidate-wise RE the business game? I came away with the impression that I had far too much fun for it to have been an assessment day, and having not applied any legal knowledge at all!
Reply 2528
Original post by kitze
Did either of you glean what exactly DLA were looking for successful candidate-wise RE the business game? I came away with the impression that I had far too much fun for it to have been an assessment day, and having not applied any legal knowledge at all!

I am not sure, sorry. I would expect them to check the usual competencies like teamwork, leadership, communication, creativity, may be some analytical, problem solving and even numerical with the balance sheets.

But I really don't know what they want if they didn't pass most of my team (we won). One of them got accepted and replied to me above. But we'll see - looking forward to the PFO on Monday I guess.

Did you get a reply yet?

As regards legal knowledge, that is not what they are testing because they accept applications from all degrees. So, it is more about how you work with people.
Original post by Purple Hazer Blazer
At my last two interviews they asked me which other firms I'd applied to. How do you think it's best to deal with this question? If I give an honest answer then the list is quite extensive which probably indicates I 'm a bit desperate and not really targeting a very specific type of firm. If on the other hand I just list a few firms they might think I'm not that committed and a bit half-arsed about the whole training contract thing. After further probing questions I even ended up admitting that I'd been rejected by one firm after AC. Really not sure what they're trying to get at with this question and the best way to deal with it??

I would suggest responding that you've applied to 'a number of firms, such as X and Y' - where X and Y are firms that are similar area, size etc. Try not to get too drawn on it - I think what they're trying to find out here is how you deal with a question about information that they don't need. Like if you're on the phone with the solicitors on the other side of a dispute and they ask something which could allude to how successful you think your case prep is going - just how you keep on top of it, remain unflustered and don't give away any more information than you're willing to give.
Declined an interview offer!

WHOSE IN CONTROL NOW LAW FIRMS?!!!

Feels good.

Whose what?
Original post by russellkaminski
Table E , have you got any others in Manchester?

not as of yet, yourself? still waiting to hear from a few
Original post by Wildcard
Whose what?

I'm glad you said it.
Original post by kitze

I was a successful candidate from the Manchester one and, although I don't agree with it, their argument was rather than ask for examples of how you have gained/improved certain competencies you would be able over a whole day to physically demonstrate teamwork, communication skills and perhaps leadership. Don't know what everyone thinks about that method of assessing applicants?

Also guys, the business game had nothing to do with who got through. Sadly whoever won was at no advantage over any of the other teams. There was a different assessor on each table so surely each assessor was asked to pick two or three people from each table?
Reply 2534
Declined an interview offer!

WHOSE IN CONTROL NOW LAW FIRMS?!!!

Feels good.

**WITHOUT PREJUDICE**

Is this not a bit like when you ask a girl to go out with you, and she turns you down to make herself feel empowered and good about herself, and then goes home and watches Bones all night with her cats, and cries about not having a boyfriend?
Reply 2535
Not when you turn it down because if you got an offer from then you'd have to decline it as your summer is already full with vac schemes, making the interview pointless.

Oh- and most girls don't do that.

No. Just the ones that I asked.

Personally, I think one should always attend all interviews, unless they're extremely difficult to get to. Firstly, the more interviews you go to, the better you get at it; secondly you never know - they might really sell it to you and you'll know for the future (ie you might want to go back). I think this is true for placement and actual jobs too.

And consider the ego boost if you turn down the offer of placement, rather than offer of interview.
Original post by moves_like_jagger
Did you think the interview had gone well or did you feel like you hadn't gotten it? Did you get feedback as to where you went wrong? Thanks!

I felt I hadn't sold myself as well as i could have, which seems to have been the case. I got feedback separately from hr and the partner which were quite contradictory, so I wouldn't put too much faith in that. I think the interview is very much to find the best matches for the firm culturally.
In control of deciding my future.

Anyway, you and Clip can both relax. Yes, you were being arrogant, but you're within your rights to be at this stage. Just don't keep rubbing it in for people here, many of whom are probably quite desperate and disheartened. Also, you should withdraw before they make interview offers, to maximise the chances of not f**king up anybody else's chances.
(edited 12 years ago)
Hm, I wonder who gave me the ol' thumbs down :wink:

I maintain it's arrogant, but then I was an arrogant son of a bitch when I got offers and stuff last year too, so I sympathise. You don't need to justify yourself!

Out of interest, where are you doing schemes (feel free to PM?)
Original post by azureangel2
w&c vac scheme i suppose? if im not wrong based on past years, they usually get back around the middle of march. so just gotta sit tight and wait! i'm in the same boat as well. heh

Hi, thanks for your reply. Yes, I was talking about the vac scheme. That's good to know that they usually get back to people around the middle of March! I didn't know.
Hope your app will be successful!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending