The Student Room Group

Geology/Earth Science Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Morkike
not female, but will be firming for engineering Geology :smile:

Yay engineering! What was your offer, if it's ok to ask?
Reply 801
Original post by Day8
I am not entirely sure about short courses that enable you to become a qualified geologist but I do know that you can do a normal three year undergraduate degree in Geology and become a chartered Geologist without the need to study for four years and without the need to take a masters, however the masters can increase your chances in getting into particular fields.

I also know some Universities offer master courses to specialize in Geology or earth sciences but you have to do particular undergraduate degrees like chemistry or physics to enter, though look at individual University requirements for that.

Maybe your best bet is to take a 3 year undergraduate degree :smile:
Hope this helps!

thanks for getting back to me!
I'm most likely going to study in scotland so the undergrad will be 4 years!
ah well nothing worth doing was easy huh!
cheers
David
Reply 802
Original post by davidl87
thanks for getting back to me!
I'm most likely going to study in scotland so the undergrad will be 4 years!
ah well nothing worth doing was easy huh!
cheers
David

:smile: thats okay. ahh I see, yea that is true, well good luck with what ever you choose :smile:
Original post by insurgent
What course exactly did you apply for Paul?

I've got offers from UCL, Durham, Southampton, Birmingham and Leicester. Haven't replied but I know I'm firming UCL and insuring Durham.

Rankings only give a general idea and when it comes to them, you're looking for consistency in the top tier in different charts.

Earth Sciences MSci, you?

Well done! How are you insuring Durham? They want AAB? Ohhh, I guess your UCL offer is AAA?

I agree, UCL is ranked very highly, and the only thing letting it down currently is student satisfaction, and I know the staff are working hard to change that.
Original post by Zottula
They are all good universities so it just comes down to personal preference and how confident you are at getting certain grades. If you feel you would be happy at either of those universities then you have made the right choice.

Thanks, I will probably be choosing UCL.
Original post by Day8
if you look at the research assessment exercise carried out in 2008 UCL comes 3rd after Cambridge and Oxford for Earth Sciences. If the quality of research and the quality of teaching is what you like to focus your decision on then UCL is a good option :smile:

..and why the negative? :smile:

Yeah, UCL is very highly ranked for research! What is your offer for UCL by the way? That neg was unnecessary, so I pos-repped you (:
Reply 806
Original post by Hi23skidoo
Yay engineering! What was your offer, if it's ok to ask?

Sure no problem, Offer of BBB not sure why its at the lower range :confused:
Reply 807
Original post by paulbridger
Yeah, UCL is very highly ranked for research! What is your offer for UCL by the way? That neg was unnecessary, so I pos-repped you (:

:smile: at the interview I was told that they would definitely make me an offer to study Geology, but I was not told the exact grade requirements. Though hopefully I will receive an email soon confirming the offer and stating the requirements. aha that's what I thought :tongue: thanks :smile:
Original post by Day8
:smile: at the interview I was told that they would definitely make me an offer to study Geology, but I was not told the exact grade requirements. Though hopefully I will receive an email soon confirming the offer and stating the requirements. aha that's what I thought :tongue: thanks :smile:

Oh yeah, haha, I have already asked you that.. :P
Reply 809
Oh yeah, haha, I have already asked you that.. :P

:smile: aha yes you have, have you picked your accommodation yet?
Original post by Day8
:smile: aha yes you have, have you picked your accommodation yet?

You don't get to choose, but I'm hoping for something like Ian Baker/Arthur Tattersal/Campbell Houses. You?
Reply 811
You don't get to choose, but I'm hoping for something like Ian Baker/Arthur Tattersal/Campbell Houses. You?

ah don't we get to state catered/self-catered and en-suite or not etc? :smile: cool, I'm not too sure at the moment, I like the look of some intercollegiate halls like College Hall but that is catered so we shall see :smile:
Original post by Day8
ah don't we get to state catered/self-catered and en-suite or not etc? :smile: cool, I'm not too sure at the moment, I like the look of some intercollegiate halls like College Hall but that is catered so we shall see :smile:

Yeah, you get to state preferences, but you can't choose your accommodation, they just base it on you preferences. Intercollegiate halls are so expensive though! Just noticed, how come you are 19? (:
Reply 813
Yeah, you get to state preferences, but you can't choose your accommodation, they just base it on you preferences. Intercollegiate halls are so expensive though! Just noticed, how come you are 19? (:

ah cool :smile: that's good then. Yea I know! To be honest I need to do more research into accommodation, I have only looked at it briefly :smile: I am actually on my gap year (:
Original post by Day8
ah cool :smile: that's good then. Yea I know! To be honest I need to do more research into accommodation, I have only looked at it briefly :smile: I am actually on my gap year (:

Oh I see. Yeah, I want to firm UCL right now, but I'm scared I haven't researched it enough :P
Reply 815
Oh I see. Yeah, I want to firm UCL right now, but I'm scared I haven't researched it enough :P

:smile: aha well is there a deadline for your responses? I guess if there is not then you have no need to rush your research :P
Original post by Day8
:smile: aha well is there a deadline for your responses? I guess if there is not then you have no need to rush your research :P

I've got till May, but even so, I want to apply for accommodation sooner rather than later (:
Reply 817
I've got till May, but even so, I want to apply for accommodation sooner rather than later (:

cool (: ah yea that is true, well in that case I hope they reply to me soon!!
Original post by NHAY86
Can't decide between Applied Geology at the Camborne School of Mines, University of Exeter, and University of Aberdeen, Geology and Petroleum Geology???? So lucky to have offers from both, as from what i have read, both Universities/Degrees have an excellent reputation vocationally and great links with industry.

Any constructive thoughts from anyone would be gratefully received?

Thanks

Hey there :smile:

I also have offers from Exeter and Aberdeen (but Exeter its for mining engineering) I know what you mean it is difficult, they both have really good links to industry. You need to think about which industry you might prefer and the areas, Exerer is good for mining and probably better for international links, and aberdeen is good for oil..Im sorta swaying towards exeter because of the lifestyle, beach, countryside etc, and not as cold as scotland....but part of me wants to go Leeds because of the nightlife thing, ugh decisions :/

I know this probably isnt very helpful but its just nice to hear someone has the same issue as me in a way :smile:
Reply 819
Earth Sciences MSci, you?

Well done! How are you insuring Durham? They want AAB? Ohhh, I guess your UCL offer is AAA?

I agree, UCL is ranked very highly, and the only thing letting it down currently is student satisfaction, and I know the staff are working hard to change that.

Geology BSc, to be precise.
International applicant.

UCL and Durham both asked for AAB. Durham's specifics are easier to attain higher grades in. That isn't the reason I'm setting them aside for insurance though.

Have you been to an applicant or post-offer visit or open day?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending