The Student Room Group

How can anyone like Doctor Who?!

Seriously, it is one of the worst things I think I have ever seen.

I think I have seen 3 full episodes and each one was worst than the last. The acting is so over the top and good actors like David Tennant and Matt Smith seem to crumble and turn into blithering idiots, reeling off cliche after cliche. Granted, they can't be blamed for this, the script is weak. The special effects are laughable and the storylines are severely lacking as well as highly predictable.

I initially overlooked this and admittedly could see how children may enjoy it but I come on here and I see people raving about how good it is and my housemates are the same, they all claim it is brilliant. Doctor Who is an icon of British TV but that is no excuse for the terrible episodes being churned out nowadays. There was not a single thing I enjoy about the show and I find myself cringing in places because the dialogue is so poor. Three episodes is enough for me, I don't think I'll be wasting anymore time on it.

There are plenty of bad TV shows out there but usually I can see their appeal, this is not the case for Doctor Who.

Maybe I'm missing something, is it supposed to look low budget? Is the acting over the top on purpose? Am I missing some huge inside joke? Help me out guys!
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Dr Who has always supposed to be "cheesey". You should check out some of the older episode with Tom Baker in as the Dr! :rofl:

Although I tend to agree with some of what you have said as with the increased budget of the effects & production you might expect the acting to have been taken more seriously.

Still brilliant though.
Reply 2
Cos Doctor Who gives me hope tthat one day I could have a time machine so I can see history for what it is.................also fight aliens, etc and save the universe without anyone realising and be back for a cup of tea................and feel good about myself.

But thats me, we all have our dreams.....
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by GunnerBill
Dr Who has always supposed to be "cheesey". You should check out some of the older episode with Tom Baker in as the Dr! :rofl:

I understand that but it doesn't come across as 'cheesy', it just comes across as bad acting and over the top dramatics. They have missed what they were aiming for I feel.
Reply 4
I think Dr Who today is aimed at a younger audience though.
Reply 5
Original post by Dorito

I think I have seen 3 full episodes and each one was worst than the last. The acting is so over the top and good actors like David Tennant and Matt Smith seem to crumble and turn into blithering idiots, reeling off cliche after cliche. Granted, they can't be blamed for this, the script is weak. The special effects are laughable and the storylines are severely lacking as well as highly predictable.

I initially overlooked this and admittedly could see how children may enjoy it but I come on here and I see people raving about how good it is and my housemates are the same, they all claim it is brilliant. Doctor Who is an icon of British TV but that is no excuse for the terrible episodes being churned out nowadays. There was not a single thing I enjoy about the show and I find myself cringing in places because the dialogue is so poor. Three episodes is enough for me, I don't think I'll be wasting anymore time on it.

There are plenty of bad TV shows out there but usually I can see their appeal, this is not the case for Doctor Who.

Maybe I'm missing something, is it supposed to look low budget? Is the acting over the top on purpose? Am I missing some huge inside joke? Help me out guys!

Because people have different opinions to you. Chill. Personally, I find it quite entertaining, as something light to relax and watch to zone out. Doesn't beat University Challenge though.
Reply 6
Original post by Dorito
I understand that but it doesn't come across as 'cheesy', it just comes across as bad acting and over the top dramatics. They have missed what they were aiming for I feel.

I'm trying to think of a particularly appalling epsode I saw recently...

Or perhaps that was the last series of Torchwood, set in US. That was so crap it made my skin crawl.
Original post by Iqbal007
Cos Doctor Who gives me hope tthat one day I could have a time machine so I can see history for what it is.................also fight aliens, etc and save the universe without anyone realising and be back for a cup of tea................and feel good about myself.

But's me, we all have our dreams.....

This :frown: I always wanted to be a time traveller.

Plus, if you are a girl, there is the added bonus of watching David Tennant's fringe. Anyway, I think it can be very clever and funny - the stories can be rubbish, but no-one cares about the stories anyway.
The acting isn't bad, they are meant to be over the top and like that. I think its written well (some episodes more than others) and amusing so I watch it.
Reply 9
If you've only seen three episodes then I can understand where you're coming from, recently doctor who has been pretty bad, and the Christmas episode was downright terrible, I think the only reason I still watch it is because I have been doing so for the last couple of years and its become somewhat of a tradition, plus there's usually some really good episodes in the mix.
Reply 10
Original post by GunnerBill
I'm trying to think of a particularly appalling epsode I saw recently...

Or perhaps that was the last series of Torchwood, set in US. That was so crap it made my skin crawl.

I watched the Doctor Who set in New York.

:facepalm: So poor.
Reply 11
Try talking to American girls, they see it as a charmingly kitsch representation of "England" - so annoying.

Doctor Who is ****, but oddly compelling - probably because everyone else watches it. It was revived as part of a general 70's nostalgia as people born in the 60's entered their forties and gained positions of influence.

To be honest I think part of the appeal is how **** it actually is, the stupid deus ex machina that always happens, the cheesy historical settings, the ridiculously camp main character, the continuity that's so bloated everyone gave up long ago.

Though in previous series Moffat's contributions have been stand-outs every single one, the kid with the gas mask and the oft-cited Angel statues being examples, I feel the series he did (the last one) had too much of a story and took itself too seriously. It's OK for one episode but a bit gritty for a whole series.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Dorito
I watched the Doctor Who set in New York.

:facepalm: So poor.

If by the one set in New York, you are referring to the Daleks in Manhattan/Evolution of the Daleks two parter, they are 2 of the poorer episodes.

Whilst there are some serious episodes of Doctor Who it is meant to be more of a lighthearted show. If you wanted to give the show another try, I would recommend you watch the episode called Blink. Its quite different to most episodes, The Doctor and companion are merely secondary characters. It has some fantastic ideas and is more of a serious episode with some tense moments.
I can't even stress how much better the classic series is compared to the crap they churn out today, and it's completely due to the writing. Eccleston, Smith and particularly Tennant are all brilliant actors, unfortunately Russell T Davies and Steven Moffat couldn't write more than one decent story per season if their lives depended on it.

It definitely is a show that is primarily aimed at children, it always has been, but the biggest difference between the stories from the 60s/70s/80s and the stories of today, is that back then it was literally just a man in a box travelling around with his friends just for the hell of it - now he's an egotistical God-like creature who uses the fact that people are scared of him to his advantage. The personality of the Doctor changes with each regeneration but they've taken this concept too far and he's completely unrecognisible as the man he was many years ago.
Original post by Dorito

Completely agree with you. I think people that watched the original (which I never watched) are somewhat forced to like it.

I've watched two episodes, one with a giant bee, the other was the Christmas special on the space Titanic. Easily some of the worst television I've ever watched. Never again.
Reply 15
Glad I'm not alone in my thoughts!
Reply 16
I love it and have watched the last 5 series religiously :smile:
forget doctor who, try the doctor from Back to the Future. Now that's what i call overacting.

still love those films though :ninja:
I thought I was the only one. Although I'm not a sci fi fan in general, I can usually appreciate why a tv series or film is liked by many even if it's not typically 'my thing', but with Doctor Who, I feel completely lost as to why it is so popular and respected.
I completely agree with everything you've said OP. I have tried asking my brother to explain what he finds so interesting about it, and he just said "I can't really explain it". :confused:
David Tennant's acting style is similar to Daniel Radcliffe's. He has limited facial expressions imo.
I know 'each to their own' and that, but I really want to understand what I'm missing...
Reply 19
I've always maintained a love-hate relationship with Doctor Who. A lot of the episodes are absolutely god-awful, yes, but some are decent, and a few are absolutely brilliant. IMO the best series (post 2005, I mean) was either Series 1 or 3:

Series 1:

Dalek
Father's Day
The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances
The Parting of the Ways

Series 3:

Human Nature/Family of Blood
Blink
Utopia

And in Series 2 you had Doomsday, Series 4 Turn Left, Series 5...well, I try to forget Series 5, and Series 6 The Doctor's Wife. Etc, etc.

Sometimes I question why I like Doctor Who, but that's like questioning why you love somone: you just do. It's all a bit wibbly-wobbly, but if you manage to sift through the crap, you find some absolute gems. Each to their own though, I guess.

Out of curiosity, have you seen Torchwood? I hate most of it but found myself blown away by Children of Earth. One of the best TV moments of 2009, those episodes. Sometimes Davies et al gets it so, so right :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest