The Student Room Group

how do you pay for uni?

hey guys
im going to start uni soon and i just wanted to know how people are paying for their fees,acomadation and all the rest of it
are your parents paying for it?
do you have a part time job?
and if you get a loan then will you have to pay it back or do you only pay it back once you start earning?
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Been saving my pocket money since I was 10, still about 38 grand off
Reply 2
Student Finance.
Sexual favours
Reply 4
Student Finance and working 20 hours a week in a pub keeps me covered :smile:
When I go back in September I will be getting a student loan and as I will be living with my parents I won't have accommodation cost, they will pay for food and give me an allowance to pay for things for me and my daughter. My student loan will be used for any cost that will occur during my course (books, stationary, CRB checks etc.).
I may consider asking my boss if he will consider me working part time, but probably not as would rather concentrate on my course and I don't want to be money greedy when someone who needs the job and money more than I do can have it. :smile:

First time round I had my student loan and an allowance off my parents. It easily covered my accommodation, phone bill, groceries with enough to enjoy myself.
Looking for a job now in order to help towards uni. I'll have student finance, but I fear I won't get a job in time to help me.
Reply 8
Loans, loans and more loans. Hopefully a part-time job too.
Reply 9
my butler's trust fund
Being a rent boy.
Student loan and I'm going to attempt to pick up a job where ever I go :smile: Hopefully I'll be able to get some seasonal work this summer as well... if not then I'll become a call girl
Reply 12
100% Bank of Parents
Reply 13
Student loans, just like most other people.
Reply 15
Original post by Hearty_Beast

Are there ANY testimonials of this actually working?
Student finance covers my tuition fees and my accommodation. I just get the loan, no grant. I will obviously have to pay them back when I start earning.
Uni policy forbids part time jobs because the intensity of the short terms and the workload would make it pretty impossible to manage. So for everything on top of tuition and accommodation, I rely on the savings account my parents set up for me when I was younger and the money they give me each month.
(edited 12 years ago)
I'm going to pay in cash...

Spoiler

Can someone please explain the negs?

And another neg for asking what the negs were about?

yet more neg and still no explanation guys...

And what is Samz below me -3?
Is it because people are jealous of others going to uni?
If it's finance, look into the new scheme. Even though its 9k a year the repayments aren't bad...
If you aren't going to get the grades, and you really want to go to uni, then defer a year and improve them.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 18
Student finance & a weekend job. :smile:
Reply 19
Loan and grant from student finance, plus a few savings from 2 years of part-time work and a little bit of matched betting here and there.

Edit: Neg rep? Care to explain why? I'd much rather fund uni the way I am than rely on my parents to fund me.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending