The Student Room Group

Wolud you date somebody who earns minimum wage?

Somebody I know works as a warehouseman. He earns approx £220 per week after tax. He works 8 hour shifts.
He is also a Dad and an excellent one at that. He is with the baby's mother, she goes to college doing as full time course in health and social care, She then plans to go on to Edge hill uni to complete her course. my Brother has the baby whilst she is in college, he is in work at 2wpm so somebody else takes the baby off him as he goes to work.

his girlfriend wants to become a social worker, I'm worried that when she gets her job in social services that she'd think she is better than him or worse still leave him for someone else.

Just wondered would you guy's date a person who is on basic wage of minimum pay if you were earning on approx £25,000 + per year?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
no
Yeah. I know I might get ripped apart for saying this, but to me, money isn't important in a relationship, it's the person.
For my ex-girlfriend, however.... :/
Reply 3
Seeing as good dads are hard to come across now a days, yes i would. What on earth does money have to do with anything??
Reply 4
Original post by Strepsils
Somebody I know works as a warehouseman. He earns approx £220 per week after tax. He works 8 hour shifts.
He is also a Dad and an excellent one at that. He is with the baby's mother, she goes to college doing as full time course in health and social care, She then plans to go on to Edge hill uni to complete her course. my Brother has the baby whilst she is in college, he is in work at 2wpm so somebody else takes the baby off him as he goes to work.

his girlfriend wants to become a social worker, I'm worried that when she gets her job in social services that she'd think she is better than him or worse still leave him for someone else.

Just wondered would you guy's date a person who is on basic wage of minimum pay if you were earning on approx £25,000 + per year?

as long as he is a normal person, yes. She wouldn't be a very good social worker if she left the father of her child simply because she earns more than him, wouldn't she?He sounds like a supportive person, so it would be stupid on her part to leave him for someone else
Reply 5
Call me naive, but when I love someone, I love them for who they are, not their income.
Reply 6
Original post by Jacoti
Call me naive, but when I love someone, I love them for who they are, not their income.

you are perfectly right
To be fair, you'll get further if you take her out and buy her Champagne than if you take her for a Happy Meal, just saying.
Whatever people say, the truth is-

Male response: Yes
Female response: No
Reply 9
Also there is a chance that someone on minimum wage will get perhaps a promotion or a different job with a higher salary. Doesn't necessarily mean he'll be stuck on minimum wage forever.
Original post by marky--mark
Yeah. I know I might get ripped apart for saying this, but to me, money isn't important in a relationship, it's the person.

Same. Whilst it's nice to be with someone earning a lot of money, it's not the most important thing in a relationship for me.
Edge hill uni?

I've heard of Edgeville - a town in Runescape on the edge of the wilderness, and the Battle of Edgehill in the Engish Civil War, but I have never heard of "Edge hill uni".
this is absolutely stupid.
Reply 13
yeah why not. half the people dont work anyway and / or receive benefits.
Is the someone you know your brother? I otherwise don't understand your brother's involvement here.
Reply 15
I would always have said it didn't matter to me at all, but I think it inevitably leads to some tension in a relationship. I wouldn't judge someone for being on minimum wage and I wouldn't write off a relationship with someone on minimum wage but I'd be careful to try to sort out any kind of resentment that might come up instead of ignoring it. I dated a man who was unemployed and was best friends with another who was working in a low paid job and with both of them I ended up losing my respect for them because they both had such negative attitudes about it, like there was nothing they could do to change their situations when in both cases there were so many things they could have done. With my ex it was particularly stressful because I ended up having to pay for everything (I'm a student, so it's not like I'm rich, though I do have quite a lucrative 'side job'). I didn't mind at first but it made me get pissed at him for things like wanting to buy food that I'd consider expensive. If he'd had his own money I'd have no problem with him getting rice and a naan, or buying brand name biscuits, but because it was my money I started feeling like he was greedy and it wound me up. Eventually I broke up with him because I'd lost all my respect for him due to his moping about it.

I think the difference would be in the attitude of the person. If someone was really doing the best they could and, more importantly, was happy in their job and didn't see themselves as a victim, I would have no problem with it. The problems would arise I think if he started making her feel bad about doing better than him. I felt like my ex and my friend thought I had no right to complain about anything and that I was really privileged because I'm at a good university, when really it's because I work really hard and don't play the victim. It's equally likely that he might start to resent her for becoming more successful (especially since it's his working a minimum wage job which is allowing her to get an education) as that she'll leave him because she thinks she's better than him. I think if they talk about how they feel about things it'll be far less likely that there'll be a problem, but you can never tell what kind of tension these things will bring up.
lol, it's kind of depressing that this question is even being asked. I wouldn't give a damn about it but there are no doubt plenty of people that would.
Reply 17
£220 per week is a lots of money.
Reply 18
Original post by Luffy.
£220 per week is a lots of money.

Maybe, but compared to say a graduate earning £500 + per week, its not
Original post by MartinKellyisagod
Whatever people say, the truth is-

Male response: Yes
Female response: No

This.

Quick Reply