The Student Room Group

Where are you travelling during a 2012-13 gap year?

hey guys

for the last few days i have been trying to find travel 'buddies' who may be interested in going to the US sometime in 2013. I have been in contact with a few people but not loads.

Sooo, i thought i might as well create a thread where people can post where they are going travelling during their gap year and what time they are thinking of going. Then it may make it easier for people to find others they want to go travelling with, especially people like me who would prefer to go with other people.

Wherever you are travelling, whenever you are travelling just submit a post and it'll be sweet to know where everyone is going!

Thank you

Michael
I'm heading to China in February, looking into doing a TEFL course in Shanghai before exploring a bit more of the country either independently or with a company like RealGap (Rip-off I know - but I'm a first time traveller so makes it seem a lot safer). From there I'm going to Australia for about 3-4 months with a working holiday visa to try and recover some of the money I've spent and to get a nice long period of free travelling! Going home via the USA where I will make a short stop on the west coast (either LA or SF) and then New York on the east coast before heading back to the UK around the beginning of August.

I'm still several months from booking this so this is all subject to change, but it's my rough plan at this time.
Reply 2
wow, sounds like somebody has got it all sorted out!

hope it works out for you, have a good time man :smile:
I am just going around Germany in August. I will be living near Stuttgart, and when I have a holiday there I thought I`d be travelling around Germany for 2-3 weeks in late August.
Berlin is a must, but otherwise I haven`t decided the destinations yet.
I've got a trip to Australia planned in September for 2 months, visiting family and friends in Sydney and Adelaide. Then I plan on saving up for about 4 months, and then travelling America. What kind of plans did you have for America? Which places do you want to visit and that?
Reply 5
Hey,

that sounds fun. i was thinking the us for about six weeks, going from nyc to chicago to denver to san francisco to l.a. spending a week in each. let me know if you're interested!

michael
I am going to Vietnam from January 2013, maybe do a bit of volunteering before I go off and explore. It would be great to know if anyone else was going around the same time/whereabouts you are going!
Reply 7
I'm going to Croatia on October 6th along with a friend. From there, we're going to backpack to Austria where we plan on spending some time. We have a flight on October 27th which will take us to London before we get a flight to Iceland. We will stay in Iceland for 6 days then return home.

As of yet we have no more plans but have begun pricing flights to the USA. Prices are looking promising to fly into New York at the minute at around March time. Then plan is to then hitchhike/hostel from the East Coast to the West. It's been a dream for quite some time to do this and I have friend that live in Portland, Oregon. We'd spend probably 2 months here. We're ambitious... but we're also determined.

Return home afterwards to hopefully prepare for study in September.. or take up something else if I get inspired throughout my travels. Maybe a job to recoup some of the money im going to be out!
Reply 8
No concrete plans yet, but I'm planning on saving up to do a trekking holiday in Spain.

Quick Reply

Latest