The Student Room Group

Stupid/Embarrassing Things You Say To Lecturers?

Does anyone else find themselves saying stupid things to lecturers? Sometimes I can be shy around people that I dont know or feel uncomfortable around which seems to cause me to say stupid things.

Today I went to see one of my lecturers today regarding a few questions I had. He was unable to answer them as he had to teach soon so offered for me to come back another time. Without thinking I said tomorrow sounds good (with tomorrow being a Saturday.) and got the look of disappointment.

I'll add some more once I remember them or they occur.

Does anyone else have any embarrassing things they have said to lecturers?
Is it really that embarrassing to forget what day it is? Wow, I should be really be too ashamed to go out of the house :biggrin:
Reply 2
Not at university, but this has happened on more than one occasion:

'Excuse me, Mum-'

:colonhash:
Reply 3
Original post by Ra Ra

'Excuse me, Mum-'

I thought I was the only one!
*sigh of relief*, although still embarassing...
Reply 4
Original post by Ra Ra

'Excuse me, Mum-'

LOL me too!

Although the most embarrassing thing is not what I say, but what my stomach did. My stomach growled in front of the lecturer when I was in her room sitting next to her and she went :eek:
Everyone's done the whole "Mum" thing at school.

I did it several times. Rather embarrassing!
Reply 6
I can't say I have said anything embarrassing, although I was embarrassed. We did an assignment about 2 and a half months ago and had not yet heard anything regards a result. So I emailed my lecturer after speaking to my teacher and he replied telling me to get some manners; apparently I was not allowed to Email a professional during the weekends 'about such things'. Although I was embarrassed to me it was sheer arrogance, but there we go.
Reply 7
I walked up to my Syntax lecturer and asked if he was a massive fan of Harry Potter.

In all fairness I did it because we kept getting assignments based around excerpts from the book series...

He wasn't...
Reply 8
Original post by Snikle
I walked up to my Syntax lecturer and asked if he was a massive fan of Harry Potter.

In all fairness I did it because we kept getting assignments based around excerpts from the book series...

He wasn't...

lol why?
Reply 9
Sometimes I daydream and then come back to reality and don't understand how he's gotten to a certain equation or conclusion. I then ask and turns out he's just explained that, when I was off daydreaming.
One of my lecturers came up to us in the union last night and asked which of us was the biggest lightweight...

Everyone pointed at me and he gave me a pint.

Not so bad, but I still cringed a little :tongue:
Reply 11
I went into an elaborate analogy when I got an essay on the Fourth Crusade back from one of mine the other day. I said I'd initially blamed the Doge of Venice though changed my mind, but the angry mob had already gathered their torches and pitchforks and had to go after someone, hence why I blamed Innocent III. The silliness sort of slipped out :tongue:
Reply 12
Original post by CUFCDan
I can't say I have said anything embarrassing, although I was embarrassed. We did an assignment about 2 and a half months ago and had not yet heard anything regards a result. So I emailed my lecturer after speaking to my teacher and he replied telling me to get some manners; apparently I was not allowed to Email a professional during the weekends 'about such things'. Although I was embarrassed to me it was sheer arrogance, but there we go.

That's a little harsh! He didn't have to reply :tongue:
Reply 13
Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey
Does anyone else find themselves saying stupid things to lecturers?

Sigh. Frequently.

I once said "I really enjoyed you teacher" when I meant to say "I really enjoyed your lecture", cringe.

I also said "thanks Miss" when a younger female lecturer handed me a coursework, like I was still 14 at school, God, I felt like a 10 year old though. She smirked and patted me on the head.
Reply 14
Original post by CUFCDan

That's ridiculous! I'm now left questioning if any of my lecturers have gotten annoyed when they read my e-mails on a weekend. I'm not aware of not being allowed though as you said, that's pretty pathetic, I mean they don't have to reply or even check their e-mails if they want. I do have one lecturer who says she won't reply on a weekend, but that's different to telling us not to bother. Pssh!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending