The Student Room Group

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aust1n
If you eat the ingrediants from the items menu it tells you what they can be used for, then mix and match.

I know :smile: I just don't get much experience from the potions I make except for giants toe and wheat :frown:
Original post by JordanS94
I know :smile: I just don't get much experience from the potions I make except for giants toe and wheat :frown:

http://www.gamefront.com/skyrim-alchemy-potion-guide/
does anyone have any good potion recipes since I don't have any :lol: I only know giants toe and wheat :/
Eep, that's not even a good 'un :no:
Giant's Toe + Wheat = Fortify Health + Damage Stamina Regen (first one is obviously good for a fight, while the latter really isn't)

Instead, mix the wheat with a blue mountain flower (Fortify Health + Restore Health)

The fortify health boost for the giant's toe is "bugged" in that it's much larger than it's supposed to be, but make the best use of the toe as you can. If you use one-handed weapons, then try Giant's Toe + (Bear's Claws or Hanging Moss) + Hawk Feathers. Adding a Beehive Husk will make this even more lucrative.
This four-item combination gives you Fortify Health (Toe + Claws or Toe + Moss), Fortify One-Handed (Feathers + Claws or Feathers + Moss), Fortify Light Armour (Feathers + Husk) and Fortify Sneak (Feathers + Husk again), and whether you go with the claws or the moss, the four items combined will give no negative effects.

Invisibility has its uses, and the most readily-available combo for that is probably luna moth wings and either chaurus eggs or vampire dust (which has other good uses as well, so I'd use chaurus eggs, myself).

Histcarp and nordic barnacles will make a water-breathing potion, which occasionally can come in handy. Chicken eggs can be used as well.

Lavender and tundra cotton are both very readily available around the Whiterun area, and they'll combine to make a Resist Magic potion, which can be really useful.

Blue dartwings have a few handy uses. Mixed with a cyrodillic spadetail, they make a fear poison (causes the 'poisoned' enemy to run away for a while). Can come in handy for crowd control. Alternatively, mix with an orange dartwing and you'll get a fortify pickpocket potion. Mixed with swamp fungal pod, they'll restore health and provide shock resistance, which can be useful against a mage who spams the Sparks spell as if he thinks he's Emperor Palpatine from Star Wars :p:

There's some combos to get you started :smile:
^

That is soooo useful, Im gonna go try it. But I dont think the person wanted benefits from the potions, probably just wanted the exp to help in leveling up quicker.
Original post by Eternal*
^

That is soooo useful, Im gonna go try it. But I dont think the person wanted benefits from the potions, probably just wanted the exp to help in leveling up quicker.
In which case the giant's toe is the ONLY thing that gives speedy experience, purely because it's bugged.
Original post by Dalimyr
In which case the giant's toe is the ONLY thing that gives speedy experience, purely because it's bugged.

I wish I had known that when I was leveling up. :smile:
Btw. Love the avatar :woo:
I wish I had known that when I was leveling up. :smile:
Eh, alchemy's not that bad for grinding while levelling up. At least if you're properly prepared you won't have to move at all. To be honest, while the giant's toe gives 6x the experience rate of anything else when it's used for fortify health potions, acquiring them in big enough quantities to make levelling up 'quicker' would be pointless in comparison to just gathering loads of flowers, mushrooms, bugs and fish that you'll pass by all over the map.

Btw. Love the avatar :woo:
Heh, thanks :smile: I should probably get around to changing it, actually. I've had the digital pirate in my avatar for about six or seven months now, and the bunny eater in my sig's been there even longer.
^

your right :wink: it's the only thing I have below 60 :lol: It's level 34 :colondollar: . I don't use potions that much anyway :/ I only used health potions and that's rare because my armour rating is pretty high
Original post by Dalimyr
Heh, thanks :smile: I should probably get around to changing it, actually. I've had the digital pirate in my avatar for about six or seven months now, and the bunny eater in my sig's been there even longer.
I dont know where people's sig's are. :confused:

your right :wink: it's the only thing I have below 60 :lol: It's level 34 :colondollar: . I don't use potions that much anyway :/ I only used health potions and that's rare because my armour rating is pretty high

Original post by Dalimyr
Eh, alchemy's not that bad for grinding while levelling up. At least if you're properly prepared you won't have to move at all. To be honest, while the giant's toe gives 6x the experience rate of anything else when it's used for fortify health potions, acquiring them in big enough quantities to make levelling up 'quicker' would be pointless in comparison to just gathering loads of flowers, mushrooms, bugs and fish that you'll pass by all over the map.

That's what I did. When my bag was too full I went and made potions out of everything I had and then sold them, (because I needed gold). Later in the game when I had enough gold I bought all ingredients from one alchemist, made potions to either drop or sell, only problem is that shops dont have enough money, so treking around is sooo long, but it is necessary if you want to make gold.
I dont know where people's sig's are. :confused:

That's what I did. When my bag was too full I went and made potions out of everything I had and then sold them, (because I needed gold). Later in the game when I had enough gold I bought all ingredients from one alchemist, made potions to either drop or sell, only problem is that shops dont have enough money, so treking around is sooo long, but it is necessary if you want to make gold.

I just go to Riverwood and invested in the trader because he now has 11000+ :biggrin: plus you can create potions in Riverwood :biggrin:
I just go to Riverwood and invested in the trader because he now has 11000+ :biggrin: plus you can create potions in Riverwood :biggrin:

How did you get him to have 11k+ ?
Reply 5792

No, just 500.
Original post by Aust1n
No, just 500.

I'm so confused.
The other person said his riverwood trader now has 11000+

you need the perk, it's in speech I think :smile: its to invest in businesses, you ask them if you can and you give them 500 :smile: It doesn't work with every shop. Most of the time they lose my money :lol: but the Riverwood trader is very good :biggrin: ... thats why I married his daughter :wink:

just looked up what you need for the perk, 70 speech :smile:

oh and you should get Haggling

Haggling
1 Buying and selling prices are 10% better.
2 Buying and selling prices are 15% better. 20 Speech
3 Buying and selling prices are 20% better. 40 Speech
4 Buying and selling prices are 25% better. 60 Speech
5 Buying and selling prices are 30% better. 80 Speech
Allure
10% better prices with the opposite sex. 30 Speech
Merchant
Can sell any type of item to any kind of merchant. 50 Speech
Investor
Can invest 500 gold with a shopkeeper to increase his available gold permanently. 70 Speech
Fence
Can barter stolen goods with any merchant you have invested in. 90 Speech
Master Trader
Every merchant in the world gains 1000 gold for bartering. 100 Speech

get these too :wink: (took off the wiki)
(edited 11 years ago)
I'm not one for making potions tbh. I don't carry anything barring the armour on my back, the axe in my hand, any annoying quest items that I can't drop and some health potions. And lots of cheese. I steal it at any given opportunity.
Anyone seen the new mounted combat?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEyDz38yGYI
I'm playing Skyrim right now and I've just been given yet another quest which requires travelling to the opposite end of the map. Do you think that fast travel should be removed from the game? We could easily use the main wagons to get to major cities and then walk the rest of the way while getting given quests which are fairly close to the main hub. For getting stuck, perhaps an alternative method could be made.

What are your opinions? I just feel like it's lazy to fast travel everywhere. Perhaps you should be able to jump off the wagon at any point or something. My immersion is threatened.
Original post by Snagprophet
I'm playing Skyrim right now and I've just been given yet another quest which requires travelling to the opposite end of the map. Do you think that fast travel should be removed from the game? We could easily use the main wagons to get to major cities and then walk the rest of the way while getting given quests which are fairly close to the main hub. For getting stuck, perhaps an alternative method could be made.

What are your opinions? I just feel like it's lazy to fast travel everywhere. Perhaps you should be able to jump off the wagon at any point or something. My immersion is threatened.

Fast travel is pretty useful for getting to the top of mountains and stuff. I mean it would be a pain to have to walk up to throat of the world EVERY time you wanted to go there.
I have to admit it was a good few weeks before I realised there was a fast travel option. Was walking EVERYWHERE.
Original post by myfriendSQRT(-1)
Fast travel is pretty useful for getting to the top of mountains and stuff. I mean it would be a pain to have to walk up to throat of the world EVERY time you wanted to go there.
I have to admit it was a good few weeks before I realised there was a fast travel option. Was walking EVERYWHERE.

Well that's just it. They need to make the game work without fast travel, or at least perhaps put in a teleport spell or something. Make it not a requirement to walk somewhere miles away and then back and then back there.

Quick Reply

Latest