The Student Room Group

AQA Core 4 Exam Discussion 14/06/2012 !Poll, paper and unofficial MS (first post)!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mollster57
What came first? Finding T or finding N? I can't remember what I got for the first one, but I got 28 for the last part of the question I think. Is that right?

More importantly, what came first, the dinosaur or the egg?

Just kidding..I think T was last

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 801
Just realised my mistake finding T.. :-(
To do it using logs you need to put 1500(1.015)^n = 1000(1.03)^n
(1.015)^n/(1.03)^n = 2/3
(1.015/1.03)^n = 2/3
n = log{1.015/1.03}(2/3)
Where 1.015/1.03 is the base
n =27.6
T = 28

Reply 802
Hey all,

I've attached today's C4 paper.

Maybe someone can make a detailed unofficial MS?

Edit: reuploaded Q6

Edit 2: marks for Q5 are ai) 4 marks, aii) 2
marks, b) 3 marks
Sorry for any inconvenience caused.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 803
Let's just give ourselves a pat on the back for doing a hard exam and don't worry about grades. In the long run they don't really matter...really
Original post by Dangerous Theory
Yeah trial and error has always been accepted afaik. It was something like Tln1.03 = ln3/2 + Tln1.015, so Tln(1.03/1.015) = ln3/2, divide for T

Thank you too! I also did trial and error. So that's 4 more marks gained but one mark less (I thought that the range was |x|<4?).

In a worst case scenario 56/75. Hopefully still a B!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 805
Original post by Cath-ay
Hey all,

thanks for this but like where did you get this from lool :O
Original post by Cath-ay
Hey all,

6th attachment seems partly missing

Original post by tom24s
Let's just give ourselves a pat on the back for doing a hard exam and don't worry about grades. In the long run they don't really matter...really

For those of us with aspirations, they matter a lot.

Reply 808
Original post by Raj K
thanks for this but like where did you get this from lool :O

Made it out of playdough... Lol jk, I asked my amazing maths teacher for it. :smile:
Original post by Cath-ay
Made it out of playdough... Lol jk, I asked my amazing maths teacher for it. :smile:

Hahahahaa!

Original post by Cath-ay
Hey all,

Thank you so much! If I have counted correctly, I think I've got around 63 raw marks, and I know the grade boundaries change from paper to paper, but can anyone give a rough estimate of what UMS that would be? Sorry for asking and being a pain, but I'm not really that good with guessing the grade boundaries if its a hard/easy paper etc :s-smilie: thanks :biggrin:
Reply 811
Original post by Dangerous Theory
6th attachment seems partly missing

oh damn. should have checked before posting. I'll scan it again.
Reply 812
Original post by Cath-ay
Hey all,

thank you :smile:
Someone earlier said 65/75 June 2011 was 100%UMS...so any chance say, 70/75 for this paper will be 100%UMS?
Reply 814
Original post by Quexx
Close to I reckon, but what did you write as your differential equation?
dh/dt=

dx/dt= k(2-h).
Original post by LGrosvenor101
Thank you so much! If I have counted correctly, I think I've got around 63 raw marks, and I know the grade boundaries change from paper to paper, but can anyone give a rough estimate of what UMS that would be? Sorry for asking and being a pain, but I'm not really that good with guessing the grade boundaries if its a hard/easy paper etc :s-smilie: thanks :biggrin:

If it's like last June, A* (about 95 maybe), if it's like Jan, A/A* (around 90)..if it's a normal paper, then an A/B

Meh. I fail at guessing too.
Original post by tom24s

Maths is part of my uni offer. B or higher, they said. I can get the other As in my other subjects but Maths is the sting in the tail.
Reply 817
Original post by tom24s

in the short term, for getting into university, they do :s-smilie:

...but you're right tho, it was a hard paper and we deserve some credit :smile:
Question 1.
ai)
Unparseable latex formula:

\dfrac{5x-6}{x(x-3)} = \dfrac{A}{x} + \dfrac{B}{x-3}[br]\[br]5x-6 = A(x-3) + Bx[br]\[br]Let x = 3 \Rightarrow 9 = 3B \Rightarrow B = 3[br]\[br]Let x = 0 \Rightarrow -6 = -3A \Rightarrow A = 2[br]\[br]\dfrac{5x-6}{x(x-3)} = \dfrac{2}{x} + \dfrac{3}{x-3}[br]

aii) 2lnx+3ln(x3)+c2lnx + 3ln(x-3) + c

bi)

4x^3 +5x -2 = (2x+1)(2x^2 +px + q) + r[br]\[br]Using\ factor\ theorem,\ do\ f(\dfrac{-1}{2})[br]\[br]4(\dfrac{-1}{2})^3 + 5\dfrac{-1}{2} -2 = -5,\ therefore\ r = -5[br]\ [br]Now,\ 4x^3 +5x +3 = (2x+1)(2x^2 +px + q),\ so\ by\ inspection\ p = -1 and q = 3

bii)

Now\ divide\ the\ function\ previously\ found[br]\[br]\Rightarrow \dfrac{2}{3}x^3 -\dfrac{1}{2}x^2 + 3x -\dfrac{5}{2} ln(2x+1) + c

(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by SomeoneIveNeverMet
If it's like last June, A* (about 95 maybe), if it's like Jan, A/A* (around 90)..if it's a normal paper, then an A/B

Meh. I fail at guessing too.

Thanks :biggrin: From what I've heard from others, that was definitely not a normal paper, so I am hoping for an A :biggrin: I need an A, and I'm glad core 4 went OK-ish today otherwise I would pretty much be saying bye bye to my firm :frown: thanks a lot though! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending