The Student Room Group

Which UK universities apart from Oxbridge are comparable to the Ivy Leagues?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FO12DY
So in that sense why does it differ from the Russell group?

Not sure what you're arguing about to be honest.

I'm saying that it is really the only thing comparable to the Ivy League in this country. Both are a group of elite academic universities. Although in both countries there are other top universities not part of these groups.
Reply 161
Original post by FO12DY
Although I'd largely agree, this is a worthless conversation without considering which subject will be studied.

Especially with regard to Imperial and LSE - but UCL and Warwick obviously are also better than others for some courses, and not so good for others.

Engineering at Southampton > Engineering at LSE!

You're correct but LSE specializes in the financial side, and is pretty much one of the best, if not the best, to do Economics + anything financial related. But. At the end of the day, wherever you study say engineering, you're going to get a degree in engineering. It's more about the prestige, with the result of better graduate prospects etc. as everyone wants to get into these top Uni's (competition is high = top candidates get a place).
Original post by fudgesundae
I'm saying that it is really the only thing comparable to the Ivy League in this country. Both are a group of elite academic universities. Although in both countries there are other top universities not part of these groups.

Surely ye jest ? Newcastle, York, Liverpool, Cardiff, Sheffield, Nottingham,Manchester, Birmingham et al are elite ?
Original post by pop101
Imperial
LSE
Warwick
UCL
^ they, with Oxbridge are the top 6 Uni's in the UK. Russel group = Ivy league...I think. There's about 20 Uni's in the group including the ones I have mentioned.

I thought this was interesting and quite accurate, maybe not Exeter but it's definitely rising.

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/newsandevents/pressreleases/sunday_times_reveals/

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
That's already been posted. You wouldn't be another Warwick student would you ?
Reply 165
Original post by Halogenation
Surely durham is better than UCL and Warwick overall?

Original post by FinalMH
Troll?

What is your reasoning behind your argument?

Attendance at Durham?
Reply 166
Original post by fudgesundae
Not all americans will even have heard of Imperial and LSE.

If you were trying to formulate a list of universities which are globally recognised or immediately recognised by pretty much anyone it would probably be something like:

Harvard, Yale, Princeton, MIT, Stanford, Oxford, Cambridge

There are a couple of others, but these are the most globally recognised brands.

Don't forget Caltech. Anyone watching The Big Bang Theory knows Caltech.
This thread is silly. The Ivy league is just an association of sports colleges (which doesn't include many of the best universities in the US btw.. MIT & Stanford to name a couple. And, the Russell group that keeps being bandied about as a UK equivalent is just a research funding lobbying group. Neither the Ivy league nor the Russell group has anything to do with the teaching quality of the member institutions.
Reply 168
Original post by Deep456
http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/newsandevents/pressreleases/sunday_times_reveals/ - According to the Sunday Times - This is the UK Ivy League.

Oxford
Cambridge
Durham
London School of Economics
Bristol
Exeter
Warwick
Imperial College London
University College London

Can probably add in Edinburgh and St. Andrews, omitted as they don't use A-levels.

Original post by Zenomorph
Come on that's from the Warwick newsroom.

You and everyone else saying that, that's a stupid response.

It may be on Warwick's site, but it's from The Sunday Times.

Here you are, a link to the article from The Sunday Times. Oh but wait - you can't view that, because it's behind a paywall. Looks like the Warwick link was pretty helpful after all.
Original post by FO12DY
You and everyone else saying that, that's a stupid response.

It may be on Warwick's site, but it's from The Sunday Times.

Here you are, a link to the article from The Sunday Times. Oh but wait - you can't view that, because it's behind a paywall. Looks like the Warwick link was pretty helpful after all.

So what? a newspaper anointed UK ' ivy ' is not the same as the US version. Clearly a ridiculous notion. Ivy is an US tradition, we have our own and it's not the same.

And how can it be ' stupid ' to assume a Warwick student links from a Warwick page ? Be stupid to imply otherwise wouldn't it ?
(edited 11 years ago)
it depends a lot on the subject.. I could list a whole load of good unis, but theres no point... best way is to possibly look at league tables to give you an idea which you can then research further yourself

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2012/may/21/university-league-table-2013

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings
Reply 171
People who are saying UCL is on par with Yale, you are completely wrong. UCL's reputation is fading fast and even though its not miles behind Yale, its definately not on par or better.
As usual everyone is obsessing about 'reputation'. The simple fact is that with fees of around $40,000 (£25,000) a go at the Ivies compared to £9,000 ($14,000) for the main UK universities there's simply no way stuff like tuition quality and student services are ever going to be comparable.
Original post by Miryo
People who are saying UCL is on par with Yale, you are completely wrong. UCL's reputation is fading fast and even though its not miles behind Yale, its definately not on par or better.

What do you mean fading fast ?
Reply 174
In my opinion, which I'm sure many will disagree with. The top unis in the UK are Oxford, Cambridge and Durham, as well as possible LSE and UCL. Although I'm not a particular fan of the London based unis and in my opinion the Doxbridge three can offer a lot more.

It's often department specific though, Theology at Durham as been voted the best department year on year and few academics in Oxford and Cambridge will argue that Durham's department isn't better than theirs.

I'm currently a student at Durham, but I've held this view for many years before I even considered applying to Durham as a postgrad. I also considered Oxford and Cambridge but a number of reasons made me apply to Durham instead.
Hmm, Posted from Durham by a Durham student
Original post by Zenomorph
So what? a newspaper anointed UK ' ivy ' is not the same as the US version. Clearly a ridiculous notion. Ivy is an US tradition, we have our own and it's not the same.

And how can it be ' stupid ' to assume a Warwick student links from a Warwick page ? Be stupid to imply otherwise wouldn't it ?

You do know that the term Golden Triangle was coined by a British newspaper? It's not official yet, but people seem to assume so. I'm not sure if it was you, but someone said the G5 was the 'closet thing' we had to an Ivy, when it doesn't have a formal existence..
Original post by pipsi
In my opinion, which I'm sure many will disagree with. The top unis in the UK are Oxford, Cambridge and Durham, as well as possible LSE and UCL. Although I'm not a particular fan of the London based unis and in my opinion the Doxbridge three can offer a lot more.

It's often department specific though, Theology at Durham as been voted the best department year on year and few academics in Oxford and Cambridge will argue that Durham's department isn't better than theirs.

I'm currently a student at Durham, but I've held this view for many years before I even considered applying to Durham as a postgrad. I also considered Oxford and Cambridge but a number of reasons made me apply to Durham instead.

I'm sure the move from Swansea to Durham distorted your view of reality. There's being bias..and then there is this.
Reply 178
Original post by pipsi

Please. Never, ever say Doxbridge again.

Durham and Oxbridge are in no way comparable in standards.

And hey, it might be good for theology, but Derby University is the best for photography, so why not Oxbridgby?

Seriously, Durham students. :s-smilie:
Original post by Lord-Voldemort
And again, the Russell Group is not a valid comparison because a number of unis do not compare to the standard of the Ivy League unis.

Could you really see York, Exeter, Queen Mary, Queen's University Belfast and Liverpool as part of the Ivy League?

The only thing comparable to the Ivy League in the UK is the Golden Triangle.

Christ - they are comparable - The ivy league are some of the best US unis, The russel group are some of the UK's best unis. comparison made.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending