The Student Room Group
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester

Which are the best halls at MMU Manchester? The accommodation questions megathread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
In mill point halls you can have people in and out as much as you want providing you sign in and out, its for health and safety tbh! A friend of me was telling me of how a student who lived in tudent halls in manchester didn't sign his friends in and a fire started which his friends all got third degree burns and they weren't counted at the fire point coz they weren't signed in. dangerous man someone could have been killed and noone would have known.
In a good accomodation people will make you sign in and out... in a crappy one they aren't arsed..up to you whether you wanmt to feel safe.

They are ok with people staying but if its for periods longer than 3 days they will charge you what they call 'Double Occupancy'.

Hope this helps
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester
Original post by Beatlemania
If you applied and got that confirmation e-mail, like I did, read that.

It says "Allocations of University Halls will take place from July 2012 onwards".. I rekon that's for unconditional offers, and people waiting on results with conditional offers, it maybe after July.

It's all offers in July :smile:
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
It's all offers in July :smile:

Ok, thanks. Wonder if it's immediate or the middle of July, etc..

Not saying I'm anxious or anything :rolleyes:
Original post by Beatlemania
Ok, thanks. Wonder if it's immediate or the middle of July, etc..

Not saying I'm anxious or anything :rolleyes:

I've just checked, I applied for accommodation for my first year on 02/04/2008.

I received my offer for Cambridge Halls on 26/07/2008.
Does anybody know what happens when paying for Victoria hall accommodation if you get the student support package. I know that you get £3000 off accommodation fees. And that you pay 20% when the offer is accepted but if you get the support package, when do they take the money off? Will it go off first so I pay 20% of what's left? Xo

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I think the first payment is the deposit, so they probably won't take it off then, it'll be spread throughout the year most likely.
Original post by Jim0710
which halls are you in xtina? im based in hollings from september (tourism) and i cant find any halls that are private near to hollings! are you going private halls or mmu halls?

So sorry for the late reply! I'm staying in Mill Point, just round the corner from Piccadilly train station. I didn't like the look of MMU halls and much preferred to go private. It means a 45 minute/20 minute bus journey to Hollings, but Mill Point is a great location for the shops, nights out etc. I've heard really good things about it so if you haven't sorted out accommodation yet, come Mill Point!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by bella127
If you are holding an Unconditional offer, then halls will start being allocated in July.
If you are holding a Conditional offer, then halls will start being allocated after Results Day in August.

(As a side note, MMU was my insurance choice on UCAS so I didn't even apply for accommodation until after Results Day. I got into my first choice - Cambridge.)

Does Cambridge have two showers in each flat? Or is it just the one?
I went over to friends there plenty of times last year, even stayed the night but never noticed more than one shower :laugh:
Ten people to one shower seems tough.
My girlfriend says there was two, but I'm not sure she can be trusted!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 228
Original post by dapto1
I put Daisy Bank as first choice as well a few days ago, doing SLT. Really hope I got in in time!

Hey im hopefully doing SLT too :smile: and really hoping i get into the daisy bank halls :smile:
Original post by lonelykatana
Does Cambridge have two showers in each flat? Or is it just the one?
I went over to friends there plenty of times last year, even stayed the night but never noticed more than one shower :laugh:
Ten people to one shower seems tough.
My girlfriend says there was two, but I'm not sure she can be trusted!

Ten person flat, two toilets, two showers :smile: and there was never a problem, never had to wait for the shower or loo :smile:
Original post by bella127
Ten person flat, two toilets, two showers :smile: and there was never a problem, never had to wait for the shower or loo :smile:

Great :smile:
A shower between 5 is perfect! I got used to 1 shower between 8 last year.

cheers for getting back to me
Reply 231
Original post by KTaberner
Hey im hopefully doing SLT too :smile: and really hoping i get into the daisy bank halls :smile:

Cool. Have you heard anything back from them? I really hope I get in too. Getting close now, getting excited!
Reply 232
Hi,

Does anyone happen to know if there are halls at MMU for mature students? Has anyone stayed in them before?

I'm hoping to be studying Psychology and Speech Pathology, fingers crossed!
:smile:
Does anyone have any idea what Cavendish halls are like? I'm moving down from Newcastle and haven't had a chance to have a look around. I chose that one and cambridge because they are both right next to the business school where I'll be studying, Cheers.
Original post by samuelcarman
Does anyone have any idea what Cavendish halls are like? I'm moving down from Newcastle and haven't had a chance to have a look around. I chose that one and cambridge because they are both right next to the business school where I'll be studying, Cheers.

Cavendish is.. basic. It's cheap (well, ish) and in my opinion, a bit grim! However it's just somewhere to lay your head at the end of the day.. I assume you've seen this? http://www.mmu.ac.uk/accommodation/our-accommodation/hall.php?hallname=cavendish_hall
Reply 235

Got offered a place in Daisy Bank!
Reply 236
Original post by dapto1

u were already allocated a room?
Reply 237
Original post by ASJR1
u were already allocated a room?
that was quick im yet to hear!
Reply 238
Original post by dapto1

ahww thats great :smile: ! i didnt get in anywhere because i live less than 25miles away :frown: x where abouts are you from?
i didnt get in anywhere because i live less than 25miles away :frown:

This is a stupid rule; someone could live 35 miles away and be able to make it to uni in under an hour, yet someone could live 20 miles away and have no realistic way of commuting every day.

When I applied in 2008 it was 30 miles - I live 31 miles away :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending