The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Kings College London Medicine Applicants 2013

Hey all :smile:

It's an amazing university and it's my dream to go there!

I made this thread so we can discuss applications, UKCAT, PS, WEX, interviews, offers etc.

Good luck to you all!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey I feel the same way King's is so grand it'd be an honour to be accepted :biggrin:

I don't know if I can get in though what with their sliding scale :/

Does anyone know if Kings look at AS levels and use that in their selection?

Cause I got 6A*s and 5A's and my UKCAT score was 675, would that be sufficient based on their sliding scale to be considered for interview? I also got 4A's for my AS levels, would that improve my chances of being considered for interview?

I'd be grateful for any advice. Thanks :smile:
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
Getting good scores will definitely help but they will still take into consideration of other things like voluntary work. I don't do medicine but my friend does and she's been accepted.
Original post by NaimR
Hey I feel the same way King's is so grand it'd be an honour to be accepted :biggrin:

I don't know if I can get in though what with their sliding scale :/

Does anyone know if Kings look at AS levels and use that in their selection?

Cause I got 6A*s and 5A's and my UKCAT score was 675, would that be sufficient based on their sliding scale to be considered for interview? I also got 4A's for my AS levels, would that improve my chances of being considered for interview?

I'd be grateful for any advice. Thanks :smile:

I'm in a very similar situation. Would love to apply to KCL.
GCSEs 6A*'s, 4 A's. 665 UKCAT and 4 A's at AS!
Would also be interested to see whether people think that this is good enough for King's
Thanks
Hi guys, also applying for Kings, how do they select people for interview :biggrin:
Reply 5
Well one thing is that you need atleast 3 a's or higher for predicted results from your teacher then you should write one badass personal statement which shows your good qualities :biggrin:. Do outside reading etc so you have things to talk about in uni. It's not an easy thing to apply for so good luck
Okay, I'm gap year so I already have the grades, Any good book suggestions? :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by KeepYourHeadUp
I'm in a very similar situation. Would love to apply to KCL.
GCSEs 6A*'s, 4 A's. 665 UKCAT and 4 A's at AS!
Would also be interested to see whether people think that this is good enough for King's
Thanks

It's so good to know someone else with 6A*s and same-ish UKCAT applying for Kings cause I swear everyone else either has 9A*s or 720+ UKCAT when applying to KCL...
Reply 8
So what if along with my 6A*s 5As, 675 UKCAT score, 4As at AS level, an above average good personal statement with all the needed work exp, voluntary work aswell as an A2 prediction of A*AAa.

Would I then be eligible for a potential interview without getting rejected straight away? Sorry if I'm asking quite a few questions it's just so difficult to understand KCL's sliding scale policy...
Reply 9
They say they dont have a UKCAT cut off point... but they do really :| Apparently if ur GCSEs are really good then UKCAT is less important :smile:
Reply 10
Guys I have really low GCSEs, I only have 2A*s, 2A's, 4B's :l Do I have any hope, even if i get a high ukcat?
Reply 11
Hi, my friend got 10A*, a few As, 3Bs and a c at GCSE and at AS he got AAAB.... He asked me if he would have a good chance applying to KCL for medicine and I am really not sure about his scenario... what do you think????
Thanks
Reply 12
I've gotten 9A*s at GCSE, AAAA at AS Level and my UKCAT score is 740. Good chances for KCL for medicine?
Reply 13
Original post by SoundDude
I've gotten 9A*s at GCSE, AAAA at AS Level and my UKCAT score is 740. Good chances for KCL for medicine?

your academic side is covered!!!! it depends how much work experience/volunteering/ extra curricular stuff you have done because KCL is one of the med schools that looks at extra curricular quite highly... the sub-dean of admissions said to me that he is not in favour of moving the typical offer to A*AA, and instead keeping it at AAA because he believes this is high enough and that students should have a 'life' (do extra curricular things as well)
Reply 14
Original post by dekg140
Guys I have really low GCSEs, I only have 2A*s, 2A's, 4B's :l Do I have any hope, even if i get a high ukcat?

A admissions tutor at kings said they'd expect around 7A*s at GCSE. So I wouldn't risk it (unless you get a sensational ukcat like 780 average or something).
Reply 15
Also, according the the guy the average of a successful applicant was 660 in last years cycle. Although, the way it works is that they take in all the scores and rank applicants, choosing the top quarter to interview.
Reply 16
Original post by Yafaa
Hi, my friend got 10A*, a few As, 3Bs and a c at GCSE and at AS he got AAAB.... He asked me if he would have a good chance applying to KCL for medicine and I am really not sure about his scenario... what do you think????
Thanks

Any suggestions please?
Reply 17
Hi I am re-applicant and my GCSE's aren't that great.
5A* 2A 1B :/

My A-level results are:
A in Biology, A in Maths, A* in Chemistry and a B in AS-Level Physics.
Is there any hope for me? :confused:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Yafaa

Any suggestions please?

Ukcat score will be required before any judgment is made. As it stands he has a good chance of interview.
I want to apply at Kings (I am am in Italian student).I wanted to try entering at Cambridge but unfortunately, for personal reasons, I won't be able to sit for the BMAT so I'm giving up that choice.in the last years I've always achieved a grade of 9/10 in biology, chemistry, math and physics and I should be predicted a result of 100/100 at the Esame di Statoon Saturday I'll be sitting for my IELTS and on the 27th I'll go for the UKCATmy extracurricular consist in 2 weeks of shadowing a doctor in a private clinic (many patient with Alzheimer and Parkinson, two deaths while I was there)voluntary at a Social centre and at a food banki talk and give moral support at the needy at the local caritasfor my academic, in addition to the grades, I've won the 2011 Latin translation contest in my school, I've partecipated in a project in Milan that allowed me to take part in laboratory activities related to genetic diseases and the DNA functioningDo you think I have realistic chance to get into kcl? i want to apply for both medicine and biomedical science at this school (my ps will be totally towards the medicine side), in your opinion am i in the position to get offers for both the courses?consìdering the portrait i stated above,what ukcat do you think i will need to be sure to get an interview? realisticly, i think that i won't be able to score over 600Thanks in advance for the replies ^^

Quick Reply

Latest