The Student Room Group

Civil Service Graduate Fast Stream 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sharpiiie
i have a british passport... does that help? i havnt lived in the uk all my life just the time i spent here @ uni which will be 3 years

You may not be able to work in some departments which require specific residency terms and clearance, but you can definitely still apply, you're eligible :smile:
Reply 41
Original post by lovers in japan
Hi again Jenn.

I went through the guaranteed interview scheme; it means that you go straight to e-tray and complete the tests at a later date. It also means that you get necessary adjustments for the assessment centre: in my case it meant that I got larger print text for the handouts. Some people had adapted computers, others had different colour paper etc. If you have a disability then you are entitled to use the scheme. You will be expected to provide medical evidence and you will also have an extended medical as part of your pre-appointment checks. If you feel your disability negatively impacts your performance, then it's worth it (in my case, medication gave me severe shakes in my hands and arms so my typing was given more leeway. If you feel however that your illness does not stop you from performing well, then it's not worth it. You won't get in trouble for not declaring, as you will tell them about it anyway in pre-appointment checks.

Hope that helps?

Amazingly helpful, thanks! I guess I'll have to have a think about it...the only way it might really affect me is that I need to eat at regular intervals to keep my blood sugar level, otherwise I have a hard time concentrating...but I'm assuming the AV has breaks so it shouldn't really be a problem.

Wow, getting really excited about the whole process. I am obviously a nerd for getting excited about tests, lol
Reply 42
Original post by just_jenn
Wow, getting really excited about the whole process. I am obviously a nerd for getting excited about tests, lol

The skills tests are generic and not very interesting - do bear in mind that the competences questionnaire is assessed as well, as I've failed to get through to the next stage on the general fast stream before on the basis of that alone, by only being placed in the top 46% of candidates (this was despite being in the top 4% for the verbal comprehension test and the top 2% for the numerical one).

However, once that was out of the way I found the e-tray exercise and the assessment centre really interesting and quite fun (albeit intense and not easy).

My favourite part of the process was - quite strangely - the final assessment board for TiB (general graduate fast stream don't have this final hurdle, aside from the diplomatic service).
Reply 43
Hi,

I am a recent graduate from Durham University and will be doing an MA there this year (both in History). I applied for the fast stream last year but failed on the first tests.

My numerical skills have got pretty rusty since GCSE and I think that was my downfall.

Are there any books that are particularly good to help with the process? Or would you just reccomend doing a lot of online practice?

I had thought about getting some specific tutoring. Does anyone know if this is even possible?

Thank you for any advice
Original post by Andy Thorn
Hi,

I am a recent graduate from Durham University and will be doing an MA there this year (both in History). I applied for the fast stream last year but failed on the first tests.

My numerical skills have got pretty rusty since GCSE and I think that was my downfall.

Are there any books that are particularly good to help with the process? Or would you just reccomend doing a lot of online practice?

I had thought about getting some specific tutoring. Does anyone know if this is even possible?

Thank you for any advice

This website has a couple of good practice tests you can try :smile:

www.kent.ac.uk/careers/tests/mathstest.htm
The civil service request that their staff ought to be non political.

But does this not simply mean they request a conservative mindset?

Such nonsense has put me off applying entirely.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by HistoryHistory

No not really. You just have to go along with the party in power's plans. Put politics to one side and just do your job.
Reply 47
No not really. You just have to go along with the party in power's plans. Put politics to one side and just do your job.

^Exactly. The key word is impartiality, which I take to mean as doing your job without the preconceptions or prejudices that are somewhat inherent in political ideology.
Original post by HistoryHistory

hilarious. Im about to start my job as a fast streamer and this is what is putting me off all the time. Its a great graduate career, but I dont agree with the present governments politics at all, and im certain to disagree personally with some policy I will have to make or recommend.

Im still not 100% sure ill be there on my start day. I think its very important to have your own political opinions and Im worried its going to interfere iwth me doing a good job!! No advice there Im afraid, but just agreeing with your personaldilemma
Reply 49
I applied last year but I failed the e-tray extended, I might apply again but i'm not sure how I can Improve on that test.
Reply 50
Original post by ellie_flower
I think its very important to have your own political opinions and Im worried its going to interfere iwth me doing a good job!!

There's nothing wrong with having political opinions (I certainly do) and disliking the ideology of policies the government of the day have (again, I do). However, it's important to try and make a good job of whatever it is you are working on despite not personally agreeing with the ideology.

Original post by Dan1607
I applied last year but I failed the e-tray extended, I might apply again but i'm not sure how I can Improve on that test.

It's tricky, as you don't get any feedback as to how well you performed when doing the example exercise, and some of the answers can seem equally good when you first glance at them.

I'd suggest you work through the example e-Tray exercise on the Fast stream website and think carefully about each of the questions you are asked. Which is the most suitable and least suitable response to each email you receive? Since you are not time limited on the example (as you can re-take it), think carefully about what the consequences of all the answers are.

Also, a reminder to those who are re-applying, ask for feedback on your previous application (Parity can only give quite limited and general feedback i.e. you performed better than 85% of candidates, but it is useful to see where you performed well and poorly, especially with the online tests).

But everything is inherently political (the word just means citizen), and those with political convictions find it very hard to ignore them for the sake of doing a job which they might well feel compromises them.
hilarious. Im about to start my job as a fast streamer and this is what is putting me off all the time. Its a great graduate career, but I dont agree with the present governments politics at all, and im certain to disagree personally with some policy I will have to make or recommend.

Im still not 100% sure ill be there on my start day. I think its very important to have your own political opinions and Im worried its going to interfere iwth me doing a good job!! No advice there Im afraid, but just agreeing with your personaldilemma

I didn't think anyone would agree with me, so it's nice to hear this.

By all means I wish you luck in your job but i've heard from several people who have quit the stream after having felt stifled.
Original post by just_jenn
^Exactly. The key word is impartiality, which I take to mean as doing your job without the preconceptions or prejudices that are somewhat inherent in political ideology.

If you can sell your convictions for money without qualms (or are happily uncritical in your attitude towards the state) then you'll certainly lead a happier life than some!
Reply 54

You're overestimating what your first role is likely to be like! You won't be recommending or making policy in most roles.
Original post by TomDixie
You're overestimating what your first role is likely to be like! You won't be recommending or making policy in most roles.

Eh, a lot of Fast Stream roles involve policy making though? Ok I agree first role probably won't be as intense, but at my interview I was told there will be a lot of policy making involved.
Reply 56
Eh, a lot of Fast Stream roles involve policy making though? Ok I agree first role probably won't be as intense, but at my interview I was told there will be a lot of policy making involved.

I would go further and say that most Fast Stream roles include quite a lot of policy - and are quite intense. Many departments 'save' roles involving key or demanding projects for Fast Streamers as they are seen as 'suitably demanding' - even 1st year roles. Nothing like throwing you straight into it to see how you do.
Reply 57
Re: the political discussion, I think it's a discussion you could have about world of work in general--especially if you want to work in any kind of public sector capacity (charities, education etc). Wherever you end up working, there will always be something you don't agree with or that interferes with your beliefs, be it a company's decision to only contribute to executive board's pensions (granted, this was in the US in my case) or an NGO's policy to cooperate (read: pay up bribes and perform lip service) with the government of Sudan so that they can provide a modicum of support to displaced populations.

I suppose the million dollar question is how far do you feel the organisation interferes with your beliefs. I find I can put up with a whole load of crapola I don't agree with if I know I'm contributing to something that will improve a situation or people's lives.
Reply 58
Right.

I'm back!

Unsuccessful after attending FSAC March this year. But hey ho. That's life. Here we go again.

Second time lucky?!

Perhaps.

Just out of interest I got 15.34 at FSAC for HR stream. Does anyone know the pass mark? Want to know how close I actually was?!

Thinking of going for CD this year though. Been in JC+ with DWP for three years now. I'm currently taking a career break to raise my two young boys in Abu Dhabi while my husband works here so (fingers crossed) I get through to E-tray and FSAC it's not going to be cheap to fly back for it!!

I notice a few old names from last year. Has anyone who passed actually started yet? HR or CD would be good to hear from you about experiences of the job so far etc. I've read the blogs and EVERYTHING on fast stream website but it would be good to hear it fresh too.

Go hard or go home.
Original post by F6053721
Right.

I'm back!

Unsuccessful after attending FSAC March this year. But hey ho. That's life. Here we go again.

Second time lucky?!

Perhaps.

Just out of interest I got 15.34 at FSAC for HR stream. Does anyone know the pass mark? Want to know how close I actually was?!

Thinking of going for CD this year though. Been in JC+ with DWP for three years now. I'm currently taking a career break to raise my two young boys in Abu Dhabi while my husband works here so (fingers crossed) I get through to E-tray and FSAC it's not going to be cheap to fly back for it!!

I notice a few old names from last year. Has anyone who passed actually started yet? HR or CD would be good to hear from you about experiences of the job so far etc. I've read the blogs and EVERYTHING on fast stream website but it would be good to hear it fresh too.

Go hard or go home.

I don't know about HR, but for CD pass mark was 16.52 (or thereabouts). Best of luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending