The Student Room Group
University of York
York

York Freshers Autumn 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
A lot of my friends start on about the 17th. We've got nearly another 20 days extra of waiting to do, the days will start to get so long once everyone else starts at Uni and we're waiting to start!
University of York
York
Reply 581
Yeah, I was hoping that I was one of only a few people who wouldn't mind 33 weeks but apparently not :frown:

I'm just glad I'm not having to pay out the same amount for a crap room with catering. Surely they should make catered a separate bolt-on on top of whatever room you choose?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 582
Original post by Benny100
Go on whats your story...

I was annoyed as well. My first choice was James Ensuite 33 week let or I at least wanted a 33 week ensuite anywhere on Hes West. I got the email at 4pm when all the good rooms had been sorted through and had to go Langwith premium Ensuite on a 39 week let. I was so annoyed, felt like having a good shout down the phone to them but decided that the person on the end of the phone probably wasn't responsible!

I'm warming to the idea of the brand new accommodation now and hopefully it'll be really cool out on Hes East. The system still needs to change though, they advertise it as 'first come, first served' but really it's a lottery with the computer system. I don't see why they can't just give people 3 choices and try to accomodate them into one of them choices!

Almost exactly the same except I'm in langwith standard. I sent them an email complaining but all they do is insist the system is fair (HUH?!) and that it isn't their problem. Not happy with them ATM.
Reply 583
Original post by TayRex
Almost exactly the same except I'm in langwith standard. I sent them an email complaining but all they do is insist the system is fair (HUH?!) and that it isn't their problem. Not happy with them ATM.

It isn't their problem, how do they figure that? :eek: I thought they would at least acknowledge that the system isn't perfect but that's just ignorant, there are so many better accommodation systems out there!

Still langwith looks good, we have the newest accommodation in the University! What are you studying?
Reply 584
I'm going to be studying psychology, what about you?

And they were saying that every system relies on luck and they've developed this one using feedback from students (god knows which students). They said they were never going to guarantee that their accommodation could be paid using a student loan alone and basically that I should either like it or lump it. They said that they've advertised accommodation costs all year so I should have known what I was getting into.

Except I didn't know what I was getting into because I thought I was applying for affordable accommodation at £3800-£4000 a year and I could get a 33 week let! :frown:
Reply 585
Original post by TayRex
I'm going to be studying psychology, what about you?

And they were saying that every system relies on luck and they've developed this one using feedback from students (god knows which students). They said they were never going to guarantee that their accommodation could be paid using a student loan alone and basically that I should either like it or lump it. They said that they've advertised accommodation costs all year so I should have known what I was getting into.

Except I didn't know what I was getting into because I thought I was applying for affordable accommodation at £3800-£4000 a year and I could get a 33 week let! :frown:

I'll be studying Economics. My cousin is doing her PhD in Psychology at the moment, all her books seem to be about Freud.

It's all well them saying that every system requires luck but the York one happens to require a lot more luck than the others! I thought I would be getting cheap accommodation as well because my maintenance loan isn't really that much but nooooo. Looks like i'm going have to rely on the parents quite a lot instead which I really didn't want to do. :frown:
I'll be studying Economics. My cousin is doing her PhD in Psychology at the moment, all her books seem to be about Freud.

It's all well them saying that every system requires luck but the York one happens to require a lot more luck than the others! I thought I would be getting cheap accommodation as well because my maintenance loan isn't really that much but nooooo. Looks like i'm going have to rely on the parents quite a lot instead which I really didn't want to do. :frown:

When I phoned my mammy to tell her what accommodation I had, she started crying down the phone because she's only a nurse so it's not like she has huge amounts of money. We both had out hearts set on getting the cheapest accommodation possible but now we've got to try and find an extra £700+

Guess I'll have to keep working at Greggs and hope that I win the lottery.
Reply 587
Original post by Holby_fanatic
When I phoned my mammy to tell her what accommodation I had, she started crying down the phone because she's only a nurse so it's not like she has huge amounts of money. We both had out hearts set on getting the cheapest accommodation possible but now we've got to try and find an extra £700+

That's terrible! :frown: My heart goes to you! Is there really nothing that could be done? No option for you to sway for a cheaper room? Uni should help you not cause so much problems, did you try calling them? That's something horrible!
Reply 588
Original post by RH114495
Hi Elizabeth - I'm Rhiannon and I'm doing HoA too! Can't wait to start the course, so unbelievably exciting! Nice to know that I won't actually be the only student in the lecture hall :wink:

Haha I know what you mean :smile: Did you study it as an alevel? I'm excited nervous!
Have you got ur accommodation yet
Reply 589
Original post by Holby_fanatic

I feel so bad for you! That's exactly the point I was making about the accommodation lottery, a lot of people can't pick there college at leisure as they have financial constraints etc. but instead they are forced into expensive accommodation. Is there nothing the University can do for you like giving you a shorter let maybe? You could also work a shift or two a week part time if you really need the money but i'm sure you would rather enjoy the Uni experience (Especially at the start) rather than have to work from the end of Freshers week :frown: The University should definitely try to help!
Reply 590
How long did it take everyone to get there enrollment emails after getting an unconditional offer? I got an email yesterday saying it could take up to 3 days, but accommodation opens for adjustment and clearing students tomorrow. I am already going to get the left overs from everyone else, but i don't want to be the last of the last!
Original post by MPN
That's terrible! :frown: My heart goes to you! Is there really nothing that could be done? No option for you to sway for a cheaper room? Uni should help you not cause so much problems, did you try calling them? That's something horrible!

I ended up opting for the cheapest one available but it's still so expensive. And I only have the minimum loan available from Student Finance Wales because my mother earns over the threshold thing that they have.

I feel so bad for you! That's exactly the point I was making about the accommodation lottery, a lot of people can't pick there college at leisure as they have financial constraints etc. but instead they are forced into expensive accommodation. Is there nothing the University can do for you like giving you a shorter let maybe? You could also work a shift or two a week part time if you really need the money but i'm sure you would rather enjoy the Uni experience (Especially at the start) rather than have to work from the end of Freshers week :frown: The University should definitely try to help!

Because I live in South Wales, it would just be so much effort to move all of my stuff out for just 5 weeks. Plus there's the extra cost of either petrol if my mother was to drive or the train tickets. I think I'll just get transferred up to a Greggs in York and hopefully have a couple of shifts a week.
Reply 592
I'm so terrified I won't be able to find a job. I've been searching for a job here for two years and nobody hired me! :frown:
Reply 593
A lot of my friends start on about the 17th. We've got nearly another 20 days extra of waiting to do, the days will start to get so long once everyone else starts at Uni and we're waiting to start!

I know! A load of my friends leave between the 10th and the 20th and I'm going to be here another two weeks on my own :frown: Contemplating moving up to York and camping outside my accommodation until I can move in haha...will definitely be better than having to hang around at home! :wink:
Original post by ely549
I was leaning towards Derwent but I can't decide! I've heard good things about Goodricke but appearently its further away from the English department, so I'm really unsure. What about you?

Yeah Goodricke is on the other campus I think. Well, I was leaning towards either James or Vanbrugh/derwent, but because I didn't get my accommodation email until 5ish I ended up in Halifax, where did you end up in the end?
Original post by sophie--liz
Yeah it would be so great to do a year abroad at the moment I’m really jealous of a couple of friends who are taking a gap year and travelling, which I’m kind of wishing I’d done now (if I magically acquired the money to do it, of course :tongue:) and so maybe an Erasmus year or something would be a good way to do that later... Also, there’s a foreign literature option at some point in the course, isn’t there, so I should probably bear that in mind when choosing a language this year... Arghh, decisions! :tongue:

Haha I think my hatred of Chemistry came from the fact that I was terrified of the teacher... Biology was the only science I quite liked, actually :tongue:

I’ve only just started too I know we got the email a while ago but I didn’t want to look at the list until I’d got my results... it seemed too much like tempting fate, daft as that sounds :biggrin: I’ve just done a massive Amazon order for it all and so my bank account is now not very happy :frown:

You're both ahead of me, all I've done so far is made a massive wish list on Amazon haha! I can't buy any of the books until the end of the month when I get paid, so I haven't even started reading them yet :/

Biology was the only science I liked too haha, although I like it much less now that I've just finished an A level in it! I'm right there with you on the jealousy front haha, until about a month ago I was completely set on taking a gap year and just calling up York on results day and deferring but then I realised that I just didn't have the money to do it properly, so I'm going to travel after my degree instead. I'm definitely going to look into the Eurasmus year abroad, although that still looks pretty expensive. I think if you just go for a term or two though you don't have to extend your degree, so i might look into that. Yeah, the foreign literature module was what sold this course for me to be honest haha, I think i'm going to pick spanish as my language and do that for my foreign literature module too because I've loved the language ever since I got back from South America and I already have a GCSE in it :smile: haha I know what you mean, I'm indecisive at the best of times, this is a nightmare for me! I'm having loads of trouble narrowing down the list of societies that I want to join too! :/
Original post by Aeschylus
Yeah she's working with one of the department researchers either on an anti-cancer patent or nanomedicine - I can't remember which. Most of her course have gone on placement though. I'm doing a masters in english after doing my undergrad here.

Did you do an undergrad in English lit then? Did you enjoy the course? :smile:
Original post by -inspired-
Did you do an undergrad in English lit then? Did you enjoy the course? :smile:

Yes it was absolutely amazing. The tutors were all very helpful and the course itself was well-structured and interesting. I found it a lot more work than I anticipated but that doing all the reading in 1st and second year and getting the grounding in the shorter essays really paid off when it came to the big beasts. There's a thread I worte about it somewhere on this page.
Original post by Piano18
WHAATTTT???!!!?!?!?!

Okay, so we're all great for getting in York, well done everyone, I think we can all be really proud :smile:

But seriously? I've finally got my email, and applied, yet there were only three colleges left, all pretty far from my department (all right, I'm not fussed by a walk), and I could choose between either pretty much standard-catered, standard (thankfully, which I've chosen :smile: ) or an ensuite for 51 weeks - that works out nigh 6 grand!!

So I'm in Halifax standard. Not what I wanted, but we are all in the same boat. But no offence, but if that's the choice for me, what about the people tomorrow etc??

I originally thought the idea was we picked our room, picked whether we wanted to be catered, picked how long we want it? Some people are really struggling with money, how are they going to get on when the only option they have left is 51-weeks ensuite?? :O

But moan over, just been stress all day at pc -.- I look forward to meeting all of you, seriously, I never moan :P Sorry to :/

I got my email at about the same time as you and found exactly the same thing, so I'm in Halifax standard too. It's beyond stupid the way they do it, but hopefully we'll still enjoy Halifax even though it wasn't our first choice :smile:
Original post by Piano18
Hi Nicole! Well done on getting in - I'm going to be in Halifax too. This has been such a stressful day! Well done on nursing, I'll be in music :smile:

I'm in Halifax too, doing English literature :smile: It was an incredibly stressful day! Well done to both of you for getting in :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending