The Student Room Group

Cambridge Computer Science (CompSci) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ukdragon37

As long as you have the grades for the NatSci options, you may change from NatSci and Psychology or vice versa up to the start of the course (i.e. change your mind post-interview and offer).

It's great then! Thank you :biggrin:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by darkcherry
It's great then! Thank you :biggrin:

Although if you are thinking of maybe changing from psych to natsci then it'd be a good idea to at least inform the interviewers, to give them a chance to test you on it if they wish.
Reply 562
Well I did exactly as you said. What does that make me?:tongue:

Far more confident than me!

I'd be too worried not making STEP *and* Imperials grade offer, though I meant no offence. And hey, it worked out fine for you!
Original post by FO12DY
Far more confident than me!

I'd be too worried not making STEP *and* Imperials grade offer, though I meant no offence. And hey, it worked out fine for you!

Only because you don't actually have to make the STEP offer from Cambridge to get in :tongue: Most colleges will still let you do CompSci with another choice if you don't meet the STEP part.
Reply 564
Only because you don't actually have to make the STEP offer from Cambridge to get in :tongue: Most colleges will still let you do CompSci with another choice if you don't meet the STEP part.

Right, but that's a gamble. I dunno, I could never do it.

But it worked out fine for you - and perhaps by that point if you knew you'd have to get such a low mark in Summer exams to not make Cambridge's A level offer that it would never happen (ie. high marks in other modules, C3/4 done in Jan all but confirming an A*, etc.)

I would just never forgive myself if it didn't work out lol.
Original post by FO12DY
Right, but that's a gamble. I dunno, I could never do it.

But it worked out fine for you - and perhaps by that point if you knew you'd have to get such a low mark in Summer exams to not make Cambridge's A level offer that it would never happen (ie. high marks in other modules, C3/4 done in Jan all but confirming an A*, etc.)

I would just never forgive myself if it didn't work out lol.

I did Scottish qualifications, where you only get a single exam in May that counts for 100% (Maths) or 75% (Physics) of your grade. It isn't modular (at least in the A-level sense) :tongue:
Reply 566
I am planning to apply with my Maths A*, Physics A and Chemistry B for Computer Science 2013. (I am missing A* in Physics with a 7UMS and A in Chemistry with 8UMS)

I will resit in January 2013 to obtain at least A*AA and a maximum of A*A*A*.

I am an International/Private-External/Mature Student self teaching all these subjects at home in my living room on a sofa with my computer connected to the LCD tv, lol and my exam centre didn't have Further Mathematics at the time I started my A levels, so I don't have FM. (That's why I chose Chemistry :s )

What are my chances?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 567
Hi,

Does anyone know if I should definitely be choosing D2 (Decision 2) as one of my modules for A2 Further Maths? Would something like S3 be okay instead?

Cheers
Original post by Ascent
Hi,

Does anyone know if I should definitely be choosing D2 (Decision 2) as one of my modules for A2 Further Maths? Would something like S3 be okay instead?

Cheers

I dont think it really matters too much. whatever you perfer.
Reply 569
Original post by Yorrap
I am planning to apply with my Maths A*, Physics A and Chemistry B for Computer Science 2013. (I am missing A* in Physics with a 7UMS and A in Chemistry with 8UMS)

I will resit in January 2013 to obtain at least A*AA and a maximum of A*A*A*.

I am an International/Private-External/Mature Student self teaching all these subjects at home in my living room on a sofa with my computer connected to the LCD tv, lol and my exam centre didn't have Further Mathematics at the time I started my A levels, so I don't have FM. (That's why I chose Chemistry :s )

What are my chances?

As good as anyone else who has A*AA (i.e. the average Cambridge student). International students are at a slight disadvantage in general, but Cambridge has good support for Mature applicants. Depending on how 'mature' you are you might consider applying to one of the Mature-only colleges (e.g. Wolfson or St Edmunds), but all colleges will have experience of mature applicants before.
Reply 570
Original post by SunderX
As good as anyone else who has A*AA (i.e. the average Cambridge student). International students are at a slight disadvantage in general, but Cambridge has good support for Mature applicants. Depending on how 'mature' you are you might consider applying to one of the Mature-only colleges (e.g. Wolfson or St Edmunds), but all colleges will have experience of mature applicants before.

I don't understand why we (international applicants) are "at a slight disadvantage in general" where we have to pay much more than the local applicants.

I resat too many of my A level units and the reason for that was that I did not have english language skills at the time I started my A levels. I was learning english while doing my A levels and couldn't even understand the books and the subjects. Even with all these hardships I had, I brought my grades from U's to A*AB and the reason for B in Chemistry is because I have a C grade in chemistry module 5. Note that a "high" C (with 8 more UMS) would've gotten me an overall A in chemistry.

Now lets consider most of the local applicants who get A*AA in one sitting. Their mother language is English and they managed to get A*AA, whereas English is my third language and I also will hopefully get A*AA or maybe higher grades.

So again, why am I at disadvantage?
Original post by Yorrap
I don't understand why we (international applicants) are "at a slight disadvantage in general" where we have to pay much more than the local applicants.

I resat too many of my A level units and the reason for that was that I did not have english language skills at the time I started my A levels. I was learning english while doing my A levels and couldn't even understand the books and the subjects. Even with all these hardships I had, I brought my grades from U's to A*AB and the reason for B in Chemistry is because I have a C grade in chemistry module 5. Note that a "high" C (with 8 more UMS) would've gotten me an overall A in chemistry.

Now lets consider most of the local applicants who get A*AA in one sitting. Their mother language is English and they managed to get A*AA, whereas English is my third language and I also will hopefully get A*AA or maybe higher grades.

So again, why am I at disadvantage?

The disadvantages would purely be practical, such as travelling to the interviews and communicating with someone from another culture/using English. It is policy (and I'm confident they do in practice) that home and international students are not discriminated, despite the difference in fees they pay, except for medicine where there are quotas in place which Cambridge cannot control.

Unfortunately this does mean that an international student may have done more work in achieving A*AA than a local student, but in order to interpret grades fairly they can only be taken at face value, with the external factors such as English not being your first language being considered separately. In fact they may question whether your English is good enough to cope with the Cambridge course if it affected your A-levels, and may want you to obtain A*AA/sit IELTS or similar before allowing you in. To mitigate this somewhat Cambridge does accept foreign qualifications as well (such as this list from King's) that are not conducted in English, and they are considered with the same standing as A-levels.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 572
I have some basic experience in Python - I've worked through the online tutorials and can solve some of the easier Euler problems, also interested in the concepts mentioned in "Code" (how electrical circuits can be manipulated to perform logic operations, and ultimately forming a computer), would Computer Science be a good choice if I am a Natsci Student?

Also...

Do I get a raspberry Pi if I do choose it as an option? :tongue:
Reply 573
Original post by XiaoXiao1
Do I get a raspberry Pi if I do choose it as an option? :tongue:

Dude.. £23!

They're designed from the ground up to be accessible, and there you are worrying about how to get one..!

Just head over to CPC or RS now. :wink:
Reply 574
Original post by FO12DY
Dude.. £23!

They're designed from the ground up to be accessible, and there you are worrying about how to get one..!

Just head over to CPC or RS now. :wink:

That is indeed true, but I am about to be broke for the next four(+) years... :tongue:
Please can I ask what sets apart the Computer Science course at Cambridge from the course at other Universities? Is it true there is a stronger emphasise on the theory than other universities?
Original post by silentlife
Please can I ask what sets apart the Computer Science course at Cambridge from the course at other Universities? Is it true there is a stronger emphasise on the theory than other universities?

The emphasis on theory is certainly true. There are significantly more logic and mathematics-related courses and even the non-maths ones are very theoretical. You will be pushed hard in the supervision system and the pace of the lectures, which covers all the depths of the other CompSci courses and more in only 24 weeks out of the year. At the same time the breadth is very wide, although the mix is slightly eccentric. Although some practical classes are given, in majority of the courses you are expected to develop coding and engineering skills in your own time. A great deal of self-study is also required to learn the theory in each course.

As with many Cambridge courses, it has the training of researchers in mind. Cambridge certainly equips you with the knowledge for a strong foundation in research, although if you wish to go into industry it is quite good for developing those skills too.
(edited 11 years ago)
The emphasis on theory is certainly true. There are significantly more logic and mathematics-related courses and even the non-maths ones are very theoretical. You will be pushed hard in the supervision system and the pace of the lectures, which covers all the depths of the other CompSci courses and more in only 24 weeks out of the year. At the same time the breadth is very wide, although the mix is slightly eccentric. Although some practical classes are given, in majority of the courses you are expected to develop coding and engineering skills in your own time. A great deal of self-study is also required to learn the theory in each course.

As with many Cambridge courses, it has the training of researchers in mind. Cambridge certainly equips you with the knowledge for a strong foundation in research, although if you wish to go into industry it is quite good for developing those skills too.

Thank you! I just wanted a confirmation of my feelings about the course from things I've heard and read. :smile:
Reply 578
I want to apply for a this course at Cambridge but I'm not sure if my GCSE's will prevent me from having a chance. I am doing AS maths, FM, physics and chemistry but in GCSE I got:
2A: maths, physics
2B: biology, chemistry
4C: English language, German, history, IT
1D: English literature
Level 2 certificate in iMedia

Reply 579
Has anyone started reading that algorithm book they want us to read? I'll start tomorrow, really hope I can get most of it done :P

I'm going for CompSci with Maths in the first year. I'm so demotivated lol..one hour maths test, the TSA, 2 half hour interviews.

Anyone else want to panic with me? XD

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending