The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zaliack
I would tell you them, but you never know where those Brunel mooters will be hiding :ninja:.

If it was only the 'fair, just and reasonable' argument, I think I could just blag the entire moot :tongue:, but I've also got to say some stuff about standard of care :frown:. Ah well, I'll either do good, or be an utter embarrassment to the university.

Ah it's the OUP/BPP thing? In which case the mooting problem has been written by one of my tutors (had him for Jurisprudence and English Legal System). Something about a cricket match and the umpire's duty? There is a rugby case that I can't remember the name of that could be useful about that duty but I'll say no more :smile:

edit: I remembered - It's either Smoldon v Whitworth or Vowles v Evans, one of those is the rugby case I was thinking of.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Forum User
Isn't that slightly different? The right to re-possess is (I'm guessing) a mere equity which when validly exercised gives a right to possess, as well as the ownership which the finance house already had. The finance house couldn't sue in conversion unless they had already exercised the former right at the time of the interference with the goods, they could only sue for the damage caused to their reversionary interest.

You are not right about the right to repossess but I am not going there because that wasn't the point I was making.

All I was pointing out by use of the word "re-possess" is that the finance house isn't in possession. We treat one person, the builder, as being in a constructive or fictitious possession but we don't treat the finance house as being in a fictitious or constructive possession. Neither is really in possession.

Possession is a method of simplifying discourse by allowing a question or dispute to be resolved without having to think about (or prove) a lot of difficult but ultimately irrelevant (to the question or dispute) issues.
Original post by nulli tertius
You are not right about the right to repossess but I am not going there because that wasn't the point I was making.

All I was pointing out by use of the word "re-possess" is that the finance house isn't in possession. We treat one person, the builder, as being in a constructive or fictitious possession but we don't treat the finance house as being in a fictitious or constructive possession. Neither is really in possession.

Possession is a method of simplifying discourse by allowing a question or dispute to be resolved without having to think about (or prove) a lot of difficult but ultimately irrelevant (to the question or dispute) issues.

Ah, you were pointing out that use of the word 'possession' is confusing because all laymen would assume that 'possession' meant 'physical control over the goods'? I understand now. This whole area of law uses words in a bizarre way, 'property' itself is another example depending on whether one means it to use 'the thing itself' or 'the relationship between a person and a thing'.
Ah it's the OUP/BPP thing? In which case the mooting problem has been written by one of my tutors (had him for Jurisprudence and English Legal System). Something about a cricket match and the umpire's duty? There is a rugby case that I can't remember the name of that could be useful about that duty but I'll say no more :smile:

edit: I remembered - It's either Smoldon v Whitworth or Vowles v Evans, one of those is the rugby case I was thinking of.

Yeah, it's Smoldon v Whitworth. The problem is though, I've got to argue against it :frown:. I'm starting to get a strong case against it, but I'm not too confident yet.
Original post by zaliack
Yeah, it's Smoldon v Whitworth. The problem is though, I've got to argue against it :frown:. I'm starting to get a strong case against it, but I'm not too confident yet.

Don't forget you don't need to win the case to win the moot, I haven't looked at the problem or the competiton rules in detail but if it's objectively unwinnable then you shouldn't be penalised by drawing the wrong side.

On the subject of moots I managed to persuade BPP to enter the Essex Court moot, so all being well I'll get to have a go next month.
Don't forget you don't need to win the case to win the moot, I haven't looked at the problem or the competiton rules in detail but if it's objectively unwinnable then you shouldn't be penalised by drawing the wrong side.

On the subject of moots I managed to persuade BPP to enter the Essex Court moot, so all being well I'll get to have a go next month.

If your going to lose the actual moot though, it's better to save face by winning the case :tongue:.

Woo! You might come up against me in that competition then! Well, that is if my lecturer lets us do both the moots, and my mooting partner decides to do that one as well (We're already doing two other competitions, alongside the BPP-OUP one :tongue:)
Original post by zaliack
If your going to lose the actual moot though, it's better to save face by winning the case :tongue:.

Woo! You might come up against me in that competition then! Well, that is if my lecturer lets us do both the moots, and my mooting partner decides to do that one as well (We're already doing two other competitions, alongside the BPP-OUP one :tongue:)

Is one of the two the UKLSA one? I'm doing that one as well. If so, then a decent chance we do come up against each other as the first few rounds are 'regional' and London not too far from Surrey :smile:
Reply 2727
Original post by zaliack
I'm pretty sure I'd need someone else to beat it into me :tongue:. I'm trying to beat 'duty of care' into myself, but I keep going on here procrastinating!

For tort or Criminal? I lvoed it in tort but it takes some time to get your ahead around, currently procrastinating from it in criminal myself!
Original post by roh
For tort or Criminal? I lvoed it in tort but it takes some time to get your ahead around, currently procrastinating from it in criminal myself!

For tort. I've already done it for criminal, but it seemed far less complicated :tongue:.
Is one of the two the UKLSA one? I'm doing that one as well. If so, then a decent chance we do come up against each other as the first few rounds are 'regional' and London not too far from Surrey :smile:

Nah, the other two are just internal ones (mooting & negotiation). I'm not even sure if Surrey has a team for that one.
Original post by zaliack

It's actually better (IMO) to get the side which goes against the current law in a moot. Any fool can cite the law. You look a lot better if you can persuasively argue against the current law or demonstrate why the law is in your favour.
Original post by gethsemane342
It's actually better (IMO) to get the side which goes against the current law in a moot. Any fool can cite the law. You look a lot better if you can persuasively argue against the current law or demonstrate why the law is in your favour.

In this particular case, it's sort of a double edged sword. Without going into the specifics, the other guys are the appellants, so they can use that case to make a strong structured argument rather easily, whereas I've got to strengthen the first point, and rebut that case. It could work to my advantage, or it could screw me over. Won't know until after the moot.
Original post by zaliack
In this particular case, it's sort of a double edged sword. Without going into the specifics, the other guys are the appellants, so they can use that case to make a strong structured argument rather easily, whereas I've got to strengthen the first point, and rebut that case. It could work to my advantage, or it could screw me over. Won't know until after the moot.

True. But I've found I generally always did better when the law was against me. Because even though I lost on the law, the arguments I used were generally enough to give me an edge over my opponents who just had to cite the law as it was. If you know what the other side is going to argue, it's easier to deconstruct, which is true when you know the justifications for keeping the law as it is. It's harder to plan for the side who has to argue against the law.

(This general rule didn't apply for the moot where I had to argue that the exception to the rule in White v McGregor should be removed from the law whilst my team mate had to argue that we should keep the rule in White v McGregor (since the exception is the strongest justification for keeping it). It probably didn't help that the judge had done some work at the Bar in the area of contract law, my team mate was writing a thesis on contractual remedies and our opponents had gotten firsts in contract law the year before whereas I'd learnt about the existence of this rule the week before, having not gotten that far in the contract course yet)
:banghead: The ESU moot is based on tort law as well.

Quoting NT because you seem to quite an expert on real property but anyone can answer!

We were discussing s.20A of the SOGA 1979 in class when my tutor said that the section makes a pre-paying buyer an equitable tenant in common of the identified bulk. I piped up and said that it wasn't an equitable tenancy but a legal one, but the tutor said that it wasn't possible to be a legal tenant in common. Who is right? My logic was:

1) I don't think there is a rule that you can't have a legal tenancy in common in chattels. The rule only applies to choses in action and real property (by LPA 1925 although haven't done land law yet).

2) If the seller is still the legal owner of the bulk then he will owe fiduciary duties to the buyers and that can't be right. Also if the seller still has legal title then, even if he has sold the entire bulk, he can pass a valid title by any subsequent sale, even without delivery, and without needing to rely on an exception to nemo dat.

3) If the buyer of the bulk wants to sell to a sub-buyer, then if he has an equitable rather than legal tenancy in common, this would be a disposition of an equitable interest and so need to be in writing by s.53 LPA 1925. And it seemed to me that this couldn't be right.

So who is right? Does s.20A make the buyers legal tenants in common of the bulk or equitable tenants in common?
Quoting NT because you seem to quite an expert on real property but anyone can answer!

We were discussing s.20A of the SOGA 1979 in class when my tutor said that the section makes a pre-paying buyer an equitable tenant in common of the identified bulk. I piped up and said that it wasn't an equitable tenancy but a legal one, but the tutor said that it wasn't possible to be a legal tenant in common. Who is right? My logic was:

1) I don't think there is a rule that you can't have a legal tenancy in common in chattels. The rule only applies to choses in action and real property (by LPA 1925 although haven't done land law yet).

2) If the seller is still the legal owner of the bulk then he will owe fiduciary duties to the buyers and that can't be right. Also if the seller still has legal title then, even if he has sold the entire bulk, he can pass a valid title by any subsequent sale, even without delivery, and without needing to rely on an exception to nemo dat.

3) If the buyer of the bulk wants to sell to a sub-buyer, then if he has an equitable rather than legal tenancy in common, this would be a disposition of an equitable interest and so need to be in writing by s.53 LPA 1925. And it seemed to me that this couldn't be right.

So who is right? Does s.20A make the buyers legal tenants in common of the bulk or equitable tenants in common?

They are legal tenants in common.

In the case of land, the trustees are required to hold as joint tenants because the legal estate is incapable of severance (s34 LPA). Where is the equivalent provision for chattels? Indeed in the case of unascertained goods in a bulk, it flies in the face of Section 20A (2) (b) which says they are to be held as tenants in common.

If they were equitable tenants in common then they would become trustees of the bulk. A subsequent transfer of a share in the bulk under Section 20B (1) (b) would not discharge that trusteeship. You could end up with trustee owners with no beneficial interest in the goods. There is no provision for that in the legislation.

Law Com. 215 which is the genesis of the Act makes no mention of equity or trusts. It is written entirely in terms of legal ownership.
They are legal tenants in common.

In the case of land, the trustees are required to hold as joint tenants because the legal estate is incapable of severance (s34 LPA). Where is the equivalent provision for chattels? Indeed in the case of unascertained goods in a bulk, it flies in the face of Section 20A (2) (b) which says they are to be held as tenants in common.

If they were equitable tenants in common then they would become trustees of the bulk. A subsequent transfer of a share in the bulk under Section 20B (1) (b) would not discharge that trusteeship. You could end up with trustee owners with no beneficial interest in the goods. There is no provision for that in the legislation.

Law Com. 215 which is the genesis of the Act makes no mention of equity or trusts. It is written entirely in terms of legal ownership.

Great, that's what I thought, though for better reasons than what I came up with in class.
Reply 2737
About to do my LPC applications and wondering how much I have to do for the personal statement bit?

I know it's not much and I have many better things to be doing with my life, but is there an amount you have to do just out of politeness or something?

I realise this sounds daft, but don't want to risk someone getting arsey and me feeling like a total knob by somehow contriving to get rejected from the LPC.
Original post by roh
About to do my LPC applications and wondering how much I have to do for the personal statement bit?

I know it's not much and I have many better things to be doing with my life, but is there an amount you have to do just out of politeness or something?

I realise this sounds daft, but don't want to risk someone getting arsey and me feeling like a total knob by somehow contriving to get rejected from the LPC.

OH NO! PLEASE don't give us thousands of pounds.
Reply 2739
Original post by Norton1
OH NO! PLEASE don't give us thousands of pounds.

True :colondollar:

Just the nagging fear of landing up looking a truly colossal cock by managing to piss them off by just submitting a blank one or 'I really, really want to be a solicitor and have a big cheque, pretty please can I have a place nice admissions person?' in the one year they do fill up.

Will probably just knock out 100 words in a bored moment and send that.

Latest

Trending

Trending