The Student Room Group

c3 25th January 2013 exam

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by Sharqawi
8b was the bloody 9500= ln question where you had to do ln but cuz e was to two diffrnt powers that was only question that messed me up altho i think i culda got like 1 or 2 marks out of the 4 that it was

Yeah i never came across that before. I thought about using logs but good thing i didn't
Reply 141
Original post by Lis slander
I found this one difficult [sin(22.5)+cos(22.5)]^2... but recollected how to do it as soon as I left the xam... :frown:

i was stressed out on that question too until it's 5 mins before the end and i figured out how to do it, did it on time! pheww!
ohhh yeah... I left the last part out.. but I think it would b sumthing lyk... -0.25=-1/4, -0.5=-1/2
1/4=(1/2)^2.... if u take the minus sign out.. and then factorise..
Reply 143
Did anyone get £593? If not, i'm screwed
Reply 144
8b was the bloody 9500= ln question where you had to do ln but cuz e was to two diffrnt powers that was only question that messed me up altho i think i culda got like 1 or 2 marks out of the 4 that it was

I really liked the paper, until question 8b. Sat there for like 15-20 minutes trying to figure out how the hell to do it -- you couldn't ln (17000e^-0.25t - 2000e^-0.5t +500)
So I tried to seperate the terms and on both sides. But apparently you were supposed to create a quadratic.... Damn
Reply 145
Original post by Putch1

Got that :smile: .... I think -_-
Reply 146
Original post by Lis slander
which ones???

the one where you have to answer T in the exact number form and the other one was the differentiation using quotient rule, i could do it but i'm not sure if i left it in the simplest form. what're we suppose to get?
Reply 147
Original post by Putch1

593 for what?
Reply 148
593 for what?

Rate of decreasing, last question
Reply 149
I found that paper quite challenging, definitely harder than most years, but I don't think it was the hardest paper. For question 8b, did anyone get ln16?
Reply 150
the thing i liked about this paper is that it required intense thinking and manipulation

Yup...
Everything was fine for me
The only things that puzzled me was finding the maximum question 7 I think it was
I worked it out but want to know what you guys got

I did 4 \ (I think it was) 2 + 10

10 being The value of R that I found.

And q 8b
I definitely got 1 or 2 marks through the first half of my working but couldn't finish it off because the base of e was different (although thinking of it now I think I should have factorised)

For (sin22.5+ cos22.5)^2
I got 1+ sin45 :biggrin:
Which gave me the answer (but apparently I had to simplify some more, so 1 mark lost there probably.

The five marker RANGE I got 0<= y< root 5/5

Urm.... Anything else ?

Posted from TSR Mobile.
Reply 151
Original post by Putch1

Yea rate of decrease was £593

Posted from TSR Mobile.
Reply 152
Original post by Putch1
Quadratic eh? Don't think so

My friend supposedly say that's how you do it, but I barely believe him - how to you do it - I'm trying it now cus that was the only part I couldn't do!!! I'm so obsessed with knowing how to do it
Reply 153
For 8b), you needed to form a quadratic. You had e^-0.5t and e^-0.25t, so you needed to turn the former into e^(-0.25t)2. Then with e^-0.25t = x, you could have x^2+x... and solve for t that way. I got an answer, plugged it in and got 9500 exactly.

Anyhow, the paper was ok, nothing more nothing less. However, I reckon silly mistakes may cost me in the end.
Reply 154
What grades are people aiming for/wanting to get after that exam?
Reply 155
The first question was bizarre

W couldn't equal to 2.5, therefore w=0.5

B)
The tangent gradient was 160

(In the exam the numbers looked huge to me but apparently it's correct and the y=mx+c that I found made sense ... (To me))

I substituted w=0.5

In original equation to find y
(Y was a negative number, therefore I did)

Y+y1=160(x-0.5)

Posted from TSR Mobile.
Reply 156
Lol, look at us insomniacs...

My friend said for 8c that you were supposed to divide £593 by 8? Because it was 8 years? I don't think so though...I left mine as 593.

8b was to form a quadratic. I plugged ky answer in and got 9500 exactly.

What grades are people aiming for/wanting to get after that exam?

A

Posted from TSR Mobile.
Reply 158
For the range question was 0 part of the range or it was less than? And was root 5/5 part of the range or it was less than?

And you put it into a quadratic - as (e^-0.5t)^2 = e^-0.25t
Daaaaaaammmmmmmmmnnnittt

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending