The Student Room Group

Reasons why 'luck' does not exist.

If you believe luck does not exist or you don't believe in luck, share some of your reasons and explanations.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
How can someone not believe in luck?
If you flip a coin and call heads and it's heads, that's evidence of luck.
Reply 2
Original post by Katie97

How is it 'luck' though... It was bound to be heads or tails...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Luck only exists in the sense that the randomness that occurs all over the world will inevitably favour someone people more than others.
Reply 4
Original post by ipoop

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm pretty sure she wasn't being serious.
Reply 5
Original post by Elcor
I'm pretty sure she wasn't being serious.

It's hard to tell without a smiley at the end :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ipoop

Posted from TSR Mobile

Luck exists from your point of view, because you didn't know what the result would be in advance. As far as you're concerned it's a 50:50 chance (even if from "God's point of view" it was certain to be heads).
Reply 7
There isn't luck, only probability.
Reply 8
Well, we eventually die. Either by luck not being there to prevent our deaths or there are simply new generations pushing us into our graves
Original post by Katie97

no it's not
Reply 10
Define 'luck'.
Reply 11
Luck exists but not in a physical form. It's probably more mythical. Actually, yeah, it doesn't exist but a lot still say stuff like 'good luck', because we as humans want to believe it will help.

Could argue it's similar to religion, except one is linked to probability and the other to...well...
Original post by tazarooni89
Luck exists from your point of view, because you didn't know what the result would be in advance. As far as you're concerned it's a 50:50 chance (even if from "God's point of view" it was certain to be heads).

thats not luck that's just probability.
Reply 13
I am a great believer in luck. I find the harder I work, the more of it I have.
Reply 14
Original post by eco1995
I am a great believer in luck. I find the harder I work, the more of it I have.

That's just your hard work paying off. It's just like a job interview, the more you prepare, the more likely you are to getting the job and thus, your mind will fixate on 'luck'.
Reply 15
Original post by noone29
That's just your hard work paying off. It's just like a job interview, the more you prepare, the more likely you are to getting the job and thus, your mind will fixate on 'luck'.

It's a famous quote by Thomas Jefferson. It means you create your own luck.
Reply 16
Original post by eco1995
It's a famous quote by Thomas Jefferson. It means you create your own luck.

:facepalm: Gotcha
Original post by ChildishHambino
thats not luck that's just probability.

That's what luck is though - just probability, whereby one outcome is considered particularly desirable. When people win the lottery it's just probability - out of so many people playing, someone will eventually win. But it's "luck" because it's a desirable outcome which occurred even though, from a prior point of view, it didn't necessarily have to.
Reply 18
Obviously not since we live in a deterministic universe...
I see what you mean - though I'd call that believing in superstitions rather than believing in luck.

As I understand it, "superstition" involves a person thinking that they influence future events with their actions in unusual ways (e.g. thinking that blowing on a dice before rolling it will get them a six, or smashing a mirror will get them run over by a train).

Whereas the concept of luck is more of an acceptance that you're not the one influencing future events, and that the outcome is for the most part independent of your actions. For example, being an experienced snakes and ladders player won't help you win the game, because it's purely a matter of luck.

Quick Reply

Latest