The Student Room Group

"I got all 4 rejections" THREAD: What now?

As stated in the title, I got rejected from all the med schools of my choice...
Now I'm musing over the possibility of doing medicine from outside the UK. I've only got the following options at the moment:

1. Aga Khan University, Pakistan
(Number one med school in Pakistan. Offers MBBS degree in 6 years. Cheap but living conditions in Pakistan are not optimum)

2. SGU, Grenada
(More mixed reviews about this one. 1 year pre-med and 4 years med school for a total of 5 years. Heard its expensive.)

3. St. George's at the University of Nicosia, Cyprus
(The degree is the same as an MBBS from St. Georges Uni of London but I dont know much else about it)

4. Australia
(Again pretty blank here but willing to look into it more pending positive feedback from you guys)

5. Rest of the world
(Not ideal but I'll still keep an open mind, let me know about any good programmes you know of)

I'd like to know EXACTLY how feasible these choices are? And also what other options do I have for pursuing a career in medicine?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What about taking a gap year? Put everything into making sure you get AAA minimum, practice for the UKCAT early so you can smack the exam and take time into finding work exp/volunteering to boost up the PS?

I would find that to be the more sensible option at your stage as oppose to catching the first flight out of the country!
Reply 2
Is this your first time applying? Not sure why you're looking at alternative options if it is.
Peak times bro
Reply 4
Original post by hopes
What about taking a gap year? Put everything into making sure you get AAA minimum, practice for the UKCAT early so you can smack the exam and take time into finding work exp/volunteering to boost up the PS?

I would find that to be the more sensible option at your stage as oppose to catching the first flight out of the country!

My parents are already lobbying against me practicing medicine, I have tried and failed to convince them about the benefits of a gap year but they wont take it. Apparently its better for me to join the family business than take a gap year. Hence I NEED to get into med school this year. Also my family originates from Pakistan where I am a national (I was applying as an international student this year) so you can imagine how tough admissions are for medicine as an international... Its not like it will get easier next year
Reply 6
Hey Ibrahim!! Sorry to hear Edinburgh didn't work out. :frown: I have experience applying to Australia, what questions do you have? :smile: unfortunately all application cycles are coming to a close. Looks like you'll have to take a gap year.

However, if you "Must" get in this year, why not look at IMU. Study the preC years in Malaysia and the Clinical years in UK. The Cert comes from the UK university in the end. It's no diff to someone who studied in the UK throughout.

Download the brochure on the site : http://www.imu.edu.my/imu/index.php/education/undergraduate/medicine

Hope it helps. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Take a GAP year - work for your parents if they insist, but make time for some W/E and volunteering, and do masses of prep for the UKCAT, GEMSAT or whatever exams you will neeed to take as an intl. applicant. You can massively improve your application in a year, so if you think you are good enough - go for it but give it EVERYTHING this time, you won't regret it.
Reply 8
Original post by ibrahimz95
Now I'm musing over the possibility of doing medicine from outside the UK. I've only got the following options at the moment:

(Number one med school in Pakistan. Offers MBBS degree in 6 years. Cheap but living conditions in Pakistan are not optimum)

2. SGU, Grenada
(More mixed reviews about this one. 1 year pre-med and 4 years med school for a total of 5 years. Heard its expensive.)

(The degree is the same as an MBBS from St. Georges Uni of London but I dont know much else about it)

4. Australia
(Again pretty blank here but willing to look into it more pending positive feedback from you guys)

5. Rest of the world
(Not ideal but I'll still keep an open mind, let me know about any good programmes you know of)

I'd like to know EXACTLY how feasible these choices are? And also what other options do I have for pursuing a career in medicine?

If you don't mind me asking, what did you decide on?

I'm in a similar situation as you only I already took a gap year and got rejected after my medicine interview this year. My options are pretty much the same as you. And my parents are trying to persuade me to go to Aga Khan as well (but realistically I hate the idea of living in Pakistan for so long under all that load shedding and extreme heat).

Although have you considered studying in Europe? The standard medical degrees offered in european countries are usually the 6 year MD. Although many of the courses are entirely taught in english, they do require you to take up language classes alongside medical studies so that when you do clinical placements your able to communicate with the patients.

There are quite a few universities in Italy that provide english taught MDs.
I know that Charles University in Czech Republic is a really good one to go to as well.
And Cyprus has two new medical courses in:

European University of Cyprus

University of Nicosia (they now offer a 6 year MD as well as the 4 year MBBS they're providing alongside St Georges)

(however I'm not to sure about the courses in cyprus since they are fairly new so they have yet to be accredited by other countries besides cyprus)
Your parents are a bit narrow minded, 1 year in the grand scheme of things is nothing!
Reply 10
Hey guys I got 4 rejections and have now managed to get a job offer as a carer and had a job interview today to be a HCA! Really starting to look forward to my gap year, how's everyone else getting on?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
just finished my undergrad degree im looking at studying abroad because its cheaper easier access and the quality is good im think of using this company study medicine europe i went to have a meeting with them today it went well only down fall its a six year program and im already 23 :/
Original post by alfanso
just finished my undergrad degree im looking at studying abroad because its cheaper easier access and the quality is good im think of using this company http://www.studymedicineeurope.com/ i went to have a meeting with them today it went well only down fall its a six year program and im already 23 :/

hmm what country would you like to go to? i am studying medicine in Romania and its pretty good. if you need any info you can holla because i remember being in this position last year and it can be very stressfull

2. SGU, Grenada

4. Australia

5. Rest of the world

if you as a Uk student want to study medicine that badly then you shouldnt go so far overseas, stick within countries in the EU that way you can go back to work in the UK with no problems. I was deliberating whether or not to go to china last year but now i am in romania and i am satisfied with my decision
Reply 14
Hey Ibrahim, I'm studying in Romania too, it's great and like the above poster said, it's great for uk students as they teach in English and the degree is recognised in the uk.

I am in my final year now and I am very pleased. If your in a rush, I can send u more information if you want just message me or I can send you my agents details, they were very good and got me in quick at short notice.

Wish you all up the best.
Just take a gap year you silly bugger
Reply 16
My parents are already lobbying against me practicing medicine, I have tried and failed to convince them about the benefits of a gap year but they wont take it. Apparently its better for me to join the family business than take a gap year. Hence I NEED to get into med school this year. Also my family originates from Pakistan where I am a national (I was applying as an international student this year) so you can imagine how tough admissions are for medicine as an international... Its not like it will get easier next year

Your parents are idiots, no offense.
Reply 17
Hi Bphil,
If you don't mind me asking, which Romanian University are you studying with? I'm beginning to look into medicine in Europe as a plan B but cant seem to find many Eu student or graduates originally from the UK to make me feel comfortable about the idea. It seems like an amazing prospect until I come to the thought of getting a foundation year 1 position in the UK. I understand I will need to select European universities after making sure the are GMC accredited but is it likely to be able to obtain a foundation year position in the UK for GMC registration? I know the competition is fierce for medical graduates from UK universities (seems to be the case throughout a medics life!) but I'm wondering if its even harder if you've studied outside the UK for example are there a separate number of spaces for EU graduates? I'm guessing you'll be going through the process of or have gone through trying to get a F1 position, if so how did you find it? Did you feel at any disadvantage having studied outside of UK?
So sorry for all the questions, I cant seem to find many answers on this matter.
Thank You ever so much in advance.

Exactly the same situation I was in before I sat my exams. I'm international. I got 4 rejections. They didn't want me to take a gap year. They wanted me to join the business. Fights and all that blah.

But I'm a difficult child. I always put up a fight, especially for something I believe in. This was my future they were playing with. I was stubborn. I managed to get the IB score for medicine in the end and took my gap year. Smashed the ukcat. Applied for 2015 entry and have one interview for Manchester. Also have an offer from IMU as an ultimate backup, so I can go to the UK eventually.

Parents don't understand these things. Especially if they're not doctors.

2. SGU, Grenada

4. Australia

5. Rest of the world

Romania- cheap and you can practice in the UK without any additional tests

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending