The Student Room Group

Masters in Neuroscience Offers. Opinions required.

I'm a final year BSc Psychology student and I've been offered places on these courses: MSc Cognitive Neuroscience at UCL, Cognitive Neuroscience at York, Neuroscience at KCL(with a scholarship), Cognitive and Clinical Neuroscience at Goldsmiths College, London.

Does anyone here have experience of studying on any of these courses? I'm having a hard time choosing between them. My ultimate aim would be to either apply for medicine or a PhD after completing my masters.

Thanks a lot.

Scroll to see replies

I would tend to go KCL (influenced by scholarship), UCL, York, Goldsmiths but I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will come along and put me firmly in my place.
Reply 2
Hey, ive just got into Kings for the MSc Neuroscience. I went to visit and speak to the course leader 2 weeks ago. I thought it was amazing, the city and the campus. Superb facilities and environment as a whole being surrounded by 2 hospitals in which dissertations can be undertook in the clinics.
Reply 3
s2ott
Hey, ive just got into Kings for the MSc Neuroscience. I went to visit and speak to the course leader 2 weeks ago. I thought it was amazing, the city and the campus. Superb facilities and environment as a whole being surrounded by 2 hospitals in which dissertations can be undertook in the clinics.

Hi, thanks for letting me know. It really sounds great. Can I ask, did you apply for UCL's MSc Neuroscience? I've heard great things about UCL and I'm not sure if it's worth attending UCL and forgoing the KCL offer.
Reply 4
Hey, no i didnt apply to UCL, through my own laziness really haha. I basically only did the one application because i had my heart set on going to Kings and if it wasnt to be, i was going to do more applications. UCL was one of my others though. Luckily i was offered a place and i accepted.
I considered pretty much everything before applying for maths, to make sure I was makinig an informed decision, and one of my routes of research was in Neuroscience. From what I gathered, UCL is pretty much the holy grail for Neuroscience, and they have many of the world leaders lecturing there. Certainly look into it yourself, but from what I read when I was looking it up, UCL is a tier above.
Reply 6
UCL certainly has a good reputation. Try to visit them if you can. What are your interests in the area ? I applied to Kings due to the MRC Centre for Neurodegeneration being there and once i went to visit, chatted to the course leader, shown the lecture material and had a tour, i fell in love with the place, so know what to expect and fully aware of what im commiting to.
Reply 7
Thanks a lot for your replies. I have visited UCL and King's and these are the places I am most keen on. I really like the look of the UCL MSc Cognitive Neuroscience but I am wondering if anyone has any experience of studying neuroscience in either of these places. Although I appreciate that King's has provided me with a scholarship offer I am unsure about which course will suit my future prospects better. For instance would it be better to study what appears to be clinical neuroscience at King's rather than cognitive neuroscience at UCL if I wish to pursue a career in medicine?
Reply 8
Hi Guys...
I'm an international student and I have offers for MSc Neuroscience from UCL and KCL......I intend to join UCL this september.
Can anyone help me with the job prospects after finishing my Masters?
I'm from Biotechnology background.
Reply 9
Just an update: I've now been offered a place on the MSc Neuroscience at Oxford. I'm torn between Oxford and UCL (MSc Cognitive Neuroscience). Can anyone offer me the benefit of their experiences on either of these courses?
WorkerBee
Just an update: I've now been offered a place on the MSc Neuroscience at Oxford. I'm torn between Oxford and UCL (MSc Cognitive Neuroscience). Can anyone offer me the benefit of their experiences on either of these courses?

From whatever information I've collected so far.
UCL seems to be better than Oxford in this particular field.......
UCL or York!
no doubt ucl......
Reply 13
arora_atul8
no doubt ucl......

Why do you say that?
Reply 14
I've got offers for the MSc in Clinical Neuroscience at UCL and MSc in Neuroscience at King's. I studied for my undergrad at UCL and have really enjoyed it. However I like the layout and organisation of the course at King's and since I've had a taste of neuroscience at ucl for my BSc I don't know if I should remain here for postgrad.. Both Institute of Neurology (ucl) and Institute of Psychiatry (king's) are good - IoP houses MRC Centre for Neurodegeneration etc. UCL I know is good for neuro.. what I want to look more into now is career prospects... just confused..
Hi!

I've just completed the MSc in Cognitive Neuroscience at UCL. Last year I had offers from the same unis you mention and I had a really hard time deciding..

It depends on what you really want to do to be honest. UCL and KCL are great but their courses are different. KCL is focused on biology, while UCL on cognitive neuro/neuroimaging. If you don't have a solid background in biology the course at King's won't be easy.

If you pick UCL, you get the chance to work with great people at your research project (ICN is doing world-leading research at the moment!). The teaching was average though. It'll probably get better next year - this was the first year the course ran.

I've heard good things about the courses at Goldsmiths and York as well. If you have specific research interests, you may need to consider accepting one of their offers. For example Goldsmiths is amazing when it comes to music related research.

Not sure if this helps.. Good luck :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by miss_twin_peaks
Hi!

I've just completed the MSc in Cognitive Neuroscience at UCL. Last year I had offers from the same unis you mention and I had a really hard time deciding..

It depends on what you really want to do to be honest. UCL and KCL are great but their courses are different. KCL is focused on biology, while UCL on cognitive neuro/neuroimaging. If you don't have a solid background in biology the course at King's won't be easy.

If you pick UCL, you get the chance to work with great people at your research project (ICN is doing world-leading research at the moment!). The teaching was average though. It'll probably get better next year - this was the first year the course ran.

I've heard good things about the courses at Goldsmiths and York as well. If you have specific research interests, you may need to consider accepting one of their offers. For example Goldsmiths is amazing when it comes to music related research.

Not sure if this helps.. Good luck :smile:

hey im really trying to find out more info on the clinical neuroscience msc..
i know you did the cognitive one but did you guys have any overlapping modules at all? or do you know anyone that did the clinNeuro course

im worried about the amount of bio in it, coming from a psychology degree opposed to biomed etc. and also my primary interest is in the neuro imagine etc.. do you think there's more of that in the cognitive neuro course?
Reply 17
Original post by whoknowsk
I've got offers for the MSc in Clinical Neuroscience at UCL and MSc in Neuroscience at King's. I studied for my undergrad at UCL and have really enjoyed it. However I like the layout and organisation of the course at King's and since I've had a taste of neuroscience at ucl for my BSc I don't know if I should remain here for postgrad.. Both Institute of Neurology (ucl) and Institute of Psychiatry (king's) are good - IoP houses MRC Centre for Neurodegeneration etc. UCL I know is good for neuro.. what I want to look more into now is career prospects... just confused..

Hey,
I have just firmed my MSc Clinical Neuroscience offer for UCL. The course looks amazing and personally I think is a better bet for doing Medicine after, that is also my plan. I visited Queen's Square where the course is and spoke to the course leader and a current student. I had a really positive vibe for the place and everyone was really friendly. From what I have heard from my current uni lecturers UCL is the 'holy grail' of neuroscience.

Sorry too early in the morning I just realised this thread is 3 years old!

Let me know whether you accept your offer, I haven't found anyone else who has applied to the course yet!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 18
Hi

I've applied for the MSc Clincal Neurosciene for 2014/2015 but still waiting to hear.

How long was the wait before you heard anything?
Reply 19
Original post by Salam32
Hi

I've applied for the MSc Clincal Neurosciene for 2014/2015 but still waiting to hear.

How long was the wait before you heard anything?

It was exactly 4 weeks from when my references were completed until I was emailed by the department 2 days later it came through on portico :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending