The Student Room Group

Nursing then Medicine?

Hey everyone,

I am going to do the Level 3 Extended Diploma in Health & Social Care next year with the hope to study Adult or Childrens Nursing at Uni.

However, could I then study Medicine afterwards as I don't have the GCSES for Medicine, I am in Year 12 now.

So would that be possible and if so how?, I really want to be a doctor.

Thanks,
Ben

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes that's possible but a lot more competitive.
Why would you spend 3 years studying and training to be a nurse if you don't want to be a nurse?

What a waste of taxpayers money....
Reply 3
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx

You could say that about the other courses which are useless...
Original post by Miel Purple
You could say that about the other courses which are useless...

But other courses don't train you for a vocational job, and you also self-fund them (through student finance) rather than getting the NHS to pay tuition fees like they do for nursing.
Reply 5
Original post by nightwatcher805
Hey everyone,

I am going to do the Level 3 Extended Diploma in Health & Social Care next year with the hope to study Adult or Childrens Nursing at Uni.

However, could I then study Medicine afterwards as I don't have the GCSES for Medicine, I am in Year 12 now.

Thanks,
Ben

If you don't want to be a nurse then don't apply for nursing, it's a stressful and time consuming degree and it's not worth it if nursing isn't your end goal. You'll also be taking someone's place who may genuinely want to be a nurse which is slightly unfair.
Reply 6
But other courses don't train you for a vocational job, and you also self-fund them (through student finance) rather than getting the NHS to pay tuition fees like they do for nursing.

Oh right!
Why would you spend 3 years studying and training to be a nurse if you don't want to be a nurse?

Tell that to all the noctors.
I want to be a nurse if I can't be a doctor but I don't know how to become a doctor as I can't get in to medicine straight from college.
Reply 9
Graduate entry for medicine is even more competitive than the 5 year course. A nursing degree will provide you with tonnes of great experience that many other applicants will not have, however I'm not convinced that it will provide you with the firm academic platform that they are looking for in medicine applicants. Don't forget that most universities will still want the a-levels required for medicine. Maybe you should look at access to medicine courses, or even foundation courses for medicine? Personally, I think that you would be far better to finish your a-levels, do an academic degree (doesn't necessarily have to be science - a good degree in subjects like psychology are also valuable) and then to apply for graduate entry medicine if that's the kind of route you're looking to take.

Now, this next part I say very tentatively. Many people underachieve in a-levels/gcses etc due to personal circumstances, or because they just didn't work hard enough. However If you have not achieved the GCSEs or a-levels because you don't have the level of academic ability required then I would strongly advise that you try to find something else that you might enjoy instead of medicine. For example, does medicine appeal to you because you like the idea of job where you can care for and help people? If so, then maybe you would truly love a career such as nursing. At the end of the day, all entry routes to medicine will be competitive. There is no easy way in, there is no loophole. I would hate for you to spend all your time and efforts doing courses and degrees for the sole purpose of getting into medicine only to fail.

However, in spite of all of what I've just said - if you truly believe that you have what it takes to do this, then you should chase your dream and don't let it go. You can have anything if you want it enough.
Original post by nightwatcher805
Hey everyone,

Thanks,
Ben

Your chances are very very slim, realistically you don't have A-Levels and your BTEC isn't even in Sciences. It's possible for Nurses to go unto the GEM but they would have done science A-Levels and had high grades. Sorry.
Reply 11
I'm not sure that's quite true - some universities don't look at A-Levels for the graduate entry programme. A lot of emphasis is placed on the entrance exams and experience.

It may be a good idea to get some work experience as a healthcare assistant on a busy hospital ward if you can. It's a really good way to see what you want to do and would boost your application.

If you really want to be a doctor and you have the aptitude for it, it's good to begin thinking of it now. Although it's true that the NHS pay the fees for nursing, you would ultimately end up in years and years of service for the NHS so I wouldn't lose too much sleep over that! You'll be living on the breadline as a student nurse and a student doctor and you'll probably end up working many shifts where you stay an extra hour without being paid!!
Reply 12
As a "noctor" I really suggest you choose one career and go for that. If medicine is what you want then look and see if there are access to medicine courses or foundation years that would accept you. Don't use nursing as a stepping stone! It is NHS funded so affects your funding on medicine degree, plus there are loads of people trying to get on the nursing course who actually want to nurse.
Think about what career you actually want and why. Make sure you know the actual difference between dr and nurse.
Any questions about either course or profession feel free to pm me!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by polldoll
As a "noctor" I really suggest you choose one career and go for that. If medicine is what you want then look and see if there are access to medicine courses or foundation years that would accept you. Don't use nursing as a stepping stone! It is NHS funded so affects your funding on medicine degree, plus there are loads of people trying to get on the nursing course who actually want to nurse.
Think about what career you actually want and why. Make sure you know the actual difference between dr and nurse.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello Polldoll,

Are you a noctor? Do you have any more info about how funding is affected if you train as a doctor after you've done a nursing course?

A am applying for graduate entry medicine this cycle but am about to finish my nurse training. Any info gratefully received.
Reply 14
Hi, I'm on a standard course and funding wise SAAS wouldn't give me anything when I was originally meant to start medicine as they wanted a 2 year break between degrees. So I gave up my unconditional place. I then reapplied and got in 3 years later. I get the full student loan and an one of the last lot to get the fee differential from SAAS but that is no longer available. I have been told that when it comes to the NHS funded years of my course, I won't get anything as I already had my NHS funding for nursing degree.

I suggest you have lots of savings before starting!!

Aside from that, nursing hasn't been that helpful in my course as it puts me in the position that people assume I know things, that clinical skills don't need practiced and as a result I get missed out, told not to answer questions and generally leaving me feeling up and down! So it's not the automatic head start that you might think!!
Hope that helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think you quite understand what a noctor is.
Reply 16
Lol I assumed noctor was a nurse turned doctor?
If not please explain!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol I assumed noctor was a nurse turned doctor?
If not please explain!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

A noctor is someone who plays doctor but is not a doctor (hence 'noctor'). That generally refers to advanced nurse practitioners, physicians associates, primary care practitioners and god knows what other jobs.

I was referring to ANPs, who train to be nurses but then do a job that isn't nursing.
Reply 18
Ahhh ok! Well I'm not a noctor, I'm a nurse that decided to retrain as a doctor!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ahhh ok! Well I'm not a noctor, I'm a nurse that decided to retrain as a doctor!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aye.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending