The Student Room Group

how do you feel that you don't live in London?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheMoho
People who say London is polluted have obviously never been to Tehran.

Try Beijing it is much worst than UK by a longshot.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Funny you should mention it. I never gave it a second thought til recently :innocent:
[video="youtube;-FFsyj0R_8c"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FFsyj0R_8c[/video]
London is full of foreigners. No thanks.
Reply 24
Usually, indifferent. Although for the duration of the time my girlfriend is working there, I'd love to live there for a while [[Only about a year, that's how long she's there]], at least she wouldn't get so tired from travelling in from Essex every day!
Original post by Per
Utterly privileged. I'm in Hertfordshire just up the road and whenever I have to go into London I intentionally take shallower breaths for fear of developing some sort of terminal illness from the sheer amount of cigarette smoke, smog and miscellaneous carcinogens.

That's kind of ridiculous, it's not that bad.
Original post by studos
London is the center. Period.
how do you feel that you are not part of it?

Born and bred Londoner checking in.

Feels good man
I'd hate to live in London and would never do so unless I was being paid a considerable amount more than elsewhere.

I'd much rather live on the outskirts of a smaller city and drive into work then come home to my house a bit further out where there are loads of green areas I can go cycling and walk my dog etc.

In terms of settling somewhere, I can't in terms of Britain, think of anywhere worse than London. I most certainly wouldn't want to raise a family there.
Original post by Profesh
[video="youtube;-FFsyj0R_8c"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FFsyj0R_8c[/video]

Your blinking avatar is so trippy mate!
London is like a completely different country to the rest of the UK, I prefer not to live in a busy place like London.
Reply 30
Happy I live in a superior city that is Manchester...

Shame we don't get those hot cockney accents though and I'm stuck with girls whose accents are insta turn offs
Centre of what?
I'm happy to be from the north :fluffy:
Original post by Welsh Bluebird
I'd hate to live in London and would never do so unless I was being paid a considerable amount more than elsewhere.

I'd much rather live on the outskirts of a smaller city and drive into work then come home to my house a bit further out where there are loads of green areas I can go cycling and walk my dog etc.

In terms of settling somewhere, I can't in terms of Britain, think of anywhere worse than London. I most certainly wouldn't want to raise a family there.

A lot of people who live in London miss the feel of the countryside, but I expect that's pretty similar to living in Birmingham or Manchester or another big city if you don't go out of town much.

There are always the parks. Some of the London ones are really lovely. :love:
I wonder how the French that don't live in Paris feel...
Or the Malay people that don't live in Kuala Lumpur...
Or the Mexicans that don't live in Mexico City...
etc.
Reply 35
London is by far the worst, filthiest, most disgusting, most overcrowded city in the UK and arguably the whole world as well. It's an absolute sh**hole, very multicultural, it's like living in a dirty basement. Extreme levels of noise pollution and air pollution. Overcrowded, filthy and stinky. I'm glad I don't live there.
London has its good points but I think its a tough city to live in as a young person. There are a lot of things to do but you don't feel like you can make the most of them.

Househunting and accommodation issues are always a big bugbear. If you have to find a new place to live there's always a lot of hassle, going round being 'interviewed' by potential housemates that have loads of people coming round viewing the room so are in the position to be choosy. Then your rent eats up a huge proportion of your wage but you look around at the student-style accommodation you live in and think WTF am I paying for here.

Then there's the time factor, you are likely to spend a bigger proportion of your time commuting than in other cities which lengthens your working day and contributes to the general feeling of having little free time to yourself. Because London is so expensive, you need to be earning a pretty high salary to feel like you can afford to make the most of it but the people in London that do earn high salaries generally work very long hours so the more the financial pressure eases, the more your free time disappears.

There's an 'exclusivity factor' about a lot of the social scene that isn't there in other cities. When I was a student in Leeds, I felt that on the clubbing/going out scene everyone in the city was equal, you could sample all the places and naturally gravitate to the ones you knew best. But in London I feel like a lot of the clubs/bars are really for a clique of people that are 'somebody' famous - if you aren't at least on the fringes of the entertainment/sport/modelling industries you're nobody. On the flip side of that there are loads of pubs and bars so you can go somewhere new all the time rather than being stuck in the same old place.

Continuing with the going out theme - two major bugbears of mine. One - if you go for a drink in a pub after work the odds are you will be standing, often outside. Unless you reserve an area before you won't get a seat. Big difference from other cities when you can spontaneously decide to go for a pint with your mates and actually feel you are 'winding down' by being able to sit down and chill out and have some space. Two - if you have a night out, the logistics of getting back require major planning and you will lose people at 11pm because they want to get back home on the tube etc. Also if you get a taxi it will often be as expensive as the rest of the night out.

There are good points in London and the good things are that career wise if you are in a decent job with a decent field, you have lots of prospects in London and opportunities to move around and develop your career. When firms have multiple offices its a good bet that the London office is where its at and this is where you get a name for yourself.

But all in all I think as a young person if you can get a decent graduate job in a fairly large city outside London (particularly somewhere like Manchester or Leeds) then you can enjoy a higher quality of life and have better prospects for settling down and getting property etc. I have friends earning say £30k to £35k in those cities and they live great lifestyles with lots of disposable income to do stuff and then travel in to London to visit friends anyway.
Pretty happy, I wouldn't want to live there :smile:
Reply 38
Londoner and proud checking in! Y'all just jealous :tongue:
Reply 39
I'd prefer not to live in London if I can avoid it.

Quick Reply

Latest