The Student Room Group

Brother’s a failure; does that mean I am going to be one too?

He got CCE at A-levels in 1999, although he says that they would be worth AAA now. He got a 3rd class in Biological Sciences at Kings College in 2002 and struggled to find work for several years. Finally, he sustained a job as a teacher for four years, but then got fired for some reason. He is now living at home, 33 and jobless.

In contrast, I got BBBB at A- levels and went to Birmingham University to do the same degree that he did and got a 2:2. However, I have struggled to find work for three years and thus have succumbed to the pressure of up taking a master’s course to support my CV. Like him, I am 25 and still living at home with parents.

I am worried that I have the same level of intelligence that he has and thus will be confined to the same fate as he.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No.
Nothing is certain in this life. The most important thing is that you try your best.
Reply 3
Original post by meenu89
No.

What makes you so sure?
Reply 4
Original post by honeyandlemon
Nothing is certain in this life. The most important thing is that you try your best.

But if it is hardwired into my genetics by my lack of intelligence
Original post by Anonymous

Why did you do the same degree as your brother? And I wouldn't say you have a lack of intelligence considering you got B grades which may be frowned upon by some here but are still better than a lot of people. Anyway, with your grades you have access to loads of professions where you can be "successful" .
Reply 6
Why did you do the same degree as your brother?

He bullied me onto it.. I no longer speak with him...

And I wouldn't say you have a lack of intelligence considering you got B grades which may be frowned upon by some here but are still better than a lot of people. Anyway, with your grades you have access to loads of professions where you can be "successful"

But those grades were gained after a barrage of resits..
Reply 7

That's a pathetic excuse. Take some responsibility for your shortcomings instead of blaming factors outside of your control and then take steps to improve your current condition.
Reply 8
Original post by ilem
That's a pathetic excuse. Take some responsibility for your shortcomings instead of blaming factors outside of your control and then take steps to improve your current condition.

Maybe, but the evidence does speak for itself; I show startling similarities with him..
Well you got Bs and a 2.2 yourself, that wasn't his fault. But I have heard a 2.2 in science isn't that bad and you can do quite a bit with it compared to other degrees with a 2.2. Doing a masters just because you haven't found something else isn't necessarily the best idea though, it doesn't make up for getting a 2.2 so employers will still see the 2.2 grade and you're spending a lot of money on something that might not be that valuable to you.

You could still be a teacher or go into research or something, think of what you want to do and work out the route to get there.
Reply 10
Maybe, but the evidence does speak for itself; I show startling similarities with him..

Probably because you grew up with him as an older brother, who is often consciously or subconsciously a role model of sorts for the younger brother.

That's because you grew up in the same environment and have been around him all your life, you're bound to share some similarities.

Obviously genetics don't dictate the knowledge and skills you gain throughout your life, it's a bit of a cop out to think otherwise. You can't put blame on your brother for your own perceived shortcomings, just like you can't give him the credit for your accomplishments.
Original post by infairverona
Well you got Bs and a 2.2 yourself, that wasn't his fault. But I have heard a 2.2 in science isn't that bad and you can do quite a bit with it compared to other degrees with a 2.2. Doing a masters just because you haven't found something else isn't necessarily the best idea though, it doesn't make up for getting a 2.2 so employers will still see the 2.2 grade and you're spending a lot of money on something that might not be that valuable to you.

You could still be a teacher or go into research or something, think of what you want to do and work out the route to get there.

Thank you for the advice.

I am doing the master's degree, not only to fill in a time gap but to prove to myself that I can perform academically on a degree that I was not bullied or pressurised into. I don't want to get into teaching because I hated my degree so much. But research sounds great..
It's up to you to take charge of your life and do what you can!
I highly doubt it.

You will be a failure if you choose to be so.
Your brother isn't a failure and neither are you. It depends on what you do with your life.
He got CCE at A-levels in 1999, although he says that they would be worth AAA now. He got a 3rd class in Biological Sciences at Kings College in 2002 and struggled to find work for several years. Finally, he sustained a job as a teacher for four years, but then got fired for some reason. He is now living at home, 33 and jobless.

In contrast, I got BBBB at A- levels and went to Birmingham University to do the same degree that he did and got a 2:2. However, I have struggled to find work for three years and thus have succumbed to the pressure of up taking a master’s course to support my CV. Like him, I am 25 and still living at home with parents.

I am worried that I have the same level of intelligence that he has and thus will be confined to the same fate as he.

If you think your problem is that you're not intelligent enough for grad jobs then just forget about grad jobs, and especially don't pay for a masters. Get a job as a skilled tradesman like a plumber or electrician. Boiler repair pays on par with actual engineering for instance, but is much easier.
Reply 17
Original post by Observatory
Boiler repair pays on par with actual engineering for instance, but is much easier.

Seriously?
Original post by a10
Seriously?

Not that I work in it myself, but the adverts are often mixed in by job sites with actual engineering positions. See for instance: http://www.networxrecruitment.com/Jobs/Advert/90413?FromSearch=false&ad=68101&js=156&utm_source=Indeed&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Indeed

The downside is that this pay doesn't really go anywhere. You will still be on £28k or whatever at 50 unless you move into managing the business, whereas for a "real" engineer it's just starting pay. But if you can't get a graduate job this is a good alternative and an excellent alternative to being unemployed.

I think the university system is funnelling more and more "marginally intelligent" people - people who would be the best tradesmen, but the worst corporate managers, accountants, or lawyers - into a sort of status trap where they will only consider careers for which they aren't suited.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Observatory
Not that I work in it myself, but the adverts are often mixed in by job sites with actual engineering positions. See for instance: http://www.networxrecruitment.com/Jobs/Advert/90413?FromSearch=false&ad=68101&js=156&utm_source=Indeed&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Indeed

The downside is that this pay doesn't really go anywhere. You will still be on £28k or whatever at 50 unless you move into managing the business, whereas for a "real" engineer it's just starting pay.

You're being a bit disingenuous here by comparing the starting pay of one career to the pay that one from another would receive once fully trained and qualified. A graduate engineer on £28,000 typically isn't much use to the company yet, whereas the tradesman on that wage will be of an experience level that they are in fact useful to customers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending