The Student Room Group

Will I need to buy furniture for my university residence?

I think I may need a bookshelf to contain my books. And I want to have eithet a safe or a lockable drawer or wardrobe so I can keep my private things hidden from prying eyes. I would most certainly need a desk to work on.
I've been allocated an en suite. Around about how large will the bathroom be, generally speaking? Will there be room to walk about? I cannot stand small spaces, they make me claustrophobic. I can only hope my bathroom isn't going to be one of those where you barely have enough space to stabd upright in. The details list that my bathroom has a shower and a WC. Does this mean there isn't going to be a bathtub? I'm used to bathing. Also, will the room come fitted with curtains and blinds? Am I allowed to change them if they don't satisfy my needs? I need dark blinds, preferably navy or dark blue, to get the sunlight of my eyes. You know when it's winter and the Sun is low in the sky? I can't stand the winter sun, it's blinding. The summer sun isn't much better if better at all, too hot.

I'll also need a wardrobe to put my clothes in.
Reply 1
Bump
The finer details will vary from uni to uni, but a basic set of furniture will be provided everywhere. I had a bed, desk with drawers, desk chair, wardrobe and shelves. If you want more furniture beyond the minimum then that's something you'll have to buy yourself, but I didn't feel the need to do that until I'd moved into my second year house.

En suites are generally pretty small - space for a shower, loo and sink and naff all else. Baths are rare in en suites.

If you can change the curtains without damaging anything, and put the old ones back at the end of the year, then you can change them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by indusvalley
I think I may need a bookshelf to contain my books. And I want to have eithet a safe or a lockable drawer or wardrobe so I can keep my private things hidden from prying eyes. I would most certainly need a desk to work on.
I've been allocated an en suite. Around about how large will the bathroom be, generally speaking? Will there be room to walk about? I cannot stand small spaces, they make me claustrophobic. I can only hope my bathroom isn't going to be one of those where you barely have enough space to stabd upright in. The details list that my bathroom has a shower and a WC. Does this mean there isn't going to be a bathtub? I'm used to bathing. Also, will the room come fitted with curtains and blinds? Am I allowed to change them if they don't satisfy my needs? I need dark blinds, preferably navy or dark blue, to get the sunlight of my eyes. You know when it's winter and the Sun is low in the sky? I can't stand the winter sun, it's blinding. The summer sun isn't much better if better at all, too hot.

I'll also need a wardrobe to put my clothes in.

Majority of halls will have a bed, desk, shelving and wardrobe. I have never heard of a room with a bath tub, but you will just get use to showering. In terms of extra furniture it is worth noting that
A, you may not have room for a bookshelf
B, some unis wont allow you to bring extra furniture in due to fire risks (mine doesn't and I've definitely heard of a few others)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending