---------

- English Language - A
- English Language iGCSE - A
- Science Core - A
- Science Additional - A
- Chinese - A*
- ICT Core - B
- ICT double award - C,C
- Maths - C (**I AM WORKING ON PUSHING THIS TO B - A*!!!**)
- English Literature - B

A Level
----------

- Psychology - A
- English Literature - A*
- English Language - A*
- Applied ICT - A
- Mathematics - A
- Physics - A

AS levels
-------------

- Further Maths - B

What do you think? This is hypothetical, but I'd appreciate your input!

Thanks,
Asclepius TSR
Original post by Asclepius TSR
x

Are those your actual A level grades? Then yes you can, providing you do well in your interview and you improve that maths gcse grade
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm applying Engineering. I like mathematics and physics but I have no work experience. I'm taking 1 year course ( Maths, FMaths, Physics). I had the silver International Physics Olympiad (45th IPhO) + Gold and Bronze from Asian Physics Olympiad. Are these helpful for getting an offer?
GCSE:
---------

- English Language - A
- English Language iGCSE - A
- Science Core - A
- Science Additional - A
- Chinese - A*
- ICT Core - B
- ICT double award - C,C
- Maths - C (**I AM WORKING ON PUSHING THIS TO B - A*!!!**)
- English Literature - B

A Level
----------

- Psychology - A
- English Language - A*
- Applied ICT - A
- Mathematics - A
- Physics - A

AS levels
-------------

- Further Maths - B

Thanks,
Asclepius TSR

What are you applying for? What are the UMS of your AS & A2? There is no requirement to have better than C at Maths for most courses and re-sitting it won't help you for Cambridge anyway.
Cambridge Computer Science entry requirements:

A*A*A at A-Level

Required Subjects: Mathematics A-Level

Highly Desired Subjects: Physics, Further Maths

Do you think that Cambridge would accept me on a CompSci course with the following A Level grade permutations:

Permutation 1:

- Psychology - A*
- English Language - A*
- Applied ICT - A*
- Mathematics - A*

Permutation 2:

- Psychology - A
- English Language - A*
- ICT - A*
- Mathematics - A

Permutation 3:

- Psychology - A
- English Language - A*
- English Literature - A
- ICT - A
- Mathematics - A*

So, by those hypothetical grades, do you think Cambridge would accept me to do Computer Science, despite their saying they prefer physics and further maths? Which permutation do you think would be best for them?

Thank you,

Regards,

Asclepius TSR

Well, the ideal combination would be Maths, FM and Physics (possibly with Computer Science as a 4th AS or A2 if you can cope with the workload).

Why are you considering such strange combinations of subjects when the recommendation is clear that FM and/or Physics are preferred subjects?

You don't need 5 subjects at A2 for Cambridge (in fact you don't even need 4) but it's important to focus on the right subjects! Also note that I'm not even sure if ICT or Applied ICT counts as an academic A level as far as Cambridge is concerned - it would have been better to have chosen Computer Science!
A Level
----------

- Psychology - A
- English Language - A*
- Applied ICT - A
- Mathematics - A
- Physics - A

AS levels
-------------

- Further Maths - B

Thanks,
Asclepius TSR

For CompSci they will have plenty of candidates with 95% UMS in Physics & double maths. Why should they take a punt on a B in FM, a first sitting C in GCSE maths and somebody who knowing they prefer Physics & FM is doing neither to A2. They may assume the student doesn't regard them as their strong subjects or ones they enjoy.
Typically paranoid, worried GCSE student... again I apologise.

Natural sciences with 2-7 A*'s, 2 A's (and whatever wasn't an A*), 3 B's, and not taking math or physics to AS or A2 level? Or would I have to take one of them, at least?

Thinking of taking: Biology, Chemistry, English and History to A levels.

Confident I could do an excellent Personal Statement, get required AS and A levels, lots of work experience and hopefully have a good interview? Is Cambridge a decent ambition? Would I be enough to (at least) get an interview?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Seeyousoon
Typically paranoid, worried GCSE student... again I apologise.

Natural sciences with 2-7 A*'s, 2 A's (and whatever wasn't an A*), 3 B's, and not taking math to AS or A2 level?

Confident I could do an excellent Personal Statement, get required AS and A levels, lots of work experience and hopefully have a good interview? Is Cambridge a decent ambition? Would I be enough to (at least) get an interview?

Why not take Maths? It's pretty much essential.

Edit to add: GCSEs are fine :smile:.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jneill
Why not take Maths? It's pretty much essential.

Edit to add: GCSEs are fine .
Posted from TSR Mobile

I missed so much of my GCSE syllabus that it's really held me back, and it's essential for natural sciences but I'm not confident I could pull an A grade so soon, and would rather do the "Elementary Mathematics for Biologists" option in Part IA.

Although not taking math could considerably lower any chance of getting in... so...

Oh and thanks so much! :smile:
Original post by Seeyousoon
I missed so much of my GCSE syllabus that it's really held me back, and it's essential for natural sciences but I'm not confident I could pull an A grade so soon, and would rather do the "Elementary Mathematics for Biologists" option in Part IA.

Although not taking math could considerably lower any chance of getting in... so...

Oh and thanks so much! :smile:

If I'm right, I presume you're still in year 11. I would suggest just working hard and getting the best GCSEs possible - your current ones would be fine but strive for as many A*s as possible.

Being honest, I would really suggest doing A level Maths. It is really not that bad, and you will need it. Many competitive Nat Sci applicants will have Further Maths, let alone just A level maths - or in your current plan, no maths at all!
Just work hard, put some extra time in it and you'll be fine - maths is mostly just practice!
Original post by groovyd97
If I'm right, I presume you're still in year 11. I would suggest just working hard and getting the best GCSEs possible - your current ones would be fine but strive for as many A*s as possible.

Being honest, I would really suggest doing A level Maths. It is really not that bad, and you will need it. Many competitive Nat Sci applicants will have Further Maths, let alone just A level maths - or in your current plan, no maths at all!
Just work hard, put some extra time in it and you'll be fine - maths is mostly just practice!

Thanks so much! I'm an A/A* in most things but I'm actually a B/C in math, I've been too afraid to admit it here in the Cambridge thread, but I'm working hard (and I mean extremely hard I'm in extra classes, I have a tutor, I'm practising four-seven hours every weekend) and I would love to be a competitive applicant. Considering the amount of school I've missed my grades are pretty good, but again I'm afraid to take A level maths in case I can't come out with an A at A2 level in it.
I'm not sure whether I'm good enough to get into Cambridge for Maths. I've ruled out Trinity completely, but I think I might apply to Queens or St Johns. I'm in Year 12 right now. I've got straight A*s at GCSE, A in AS English Lit and an A for Add Maths (I got 97% for this). I've been predicted 4 As for my AS levels. I'm doing Maths, Further Maths, Biology and Economics. I'm also doing a Chemistry Pre-U. I'm not really worried about my UMS for my Maths. I've been getting over 97% in the papers so far and I will definitely aim for 100% in the actual thing. I'm just worried about my other maths achievements. I've never got below a gold. And so far I've got into the Olympiad for Year 11 and Year 10. And I did the Kangaroo in Year 9. But I'm not a genius. Am I better suited to economics than Maths? Because I'm doing the Target 2.0 interest rate challenge, done well in a few business competitions, doing young enterprise and I've got alot of work experience at banks. I just really want to do Maths cos I love it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by lilymint212
I'm not sure whether I'm good enough to get into Cambridge for Maths. I've ruled out Trinity completely, but I think I might apply to Queens or St Johns. I'm in Year 12 right now. I've got straight A*s at GCSE, A in AS English Lit and an A for Add Maths (I got 97% for this). I've been predicted 4 As for my AS levels. I'm doing Maths, Further Maths, Biology and Economics. I'm also doing a Chemistry Pre-U. I'm not really worried about my UMS for my Maths. I've been getting over 97% in the papers so far and I will definitely aim for 100% in the actual thing. I'm just worried about my other maths achievements. I've never got below a gold. And so far I've got into the Olympiad for Year 11 and Year 10. And I did the Kangaroo in Year 9. But I'm not a genius. Am I better suited to economics than Maths? Because I'm doing the Target 2.0 interest rate challenge, done well in a few business competitions, doing young enterprise and I've got alot of work experience at banks. I just really want to do Maths cos I love it.

I think it depends what sort of maths you enjoy. Do you think maths is beautiful and fascinating or a bit dry and more interesting when applied to real life? I got 100% in maths but I'm not sure I was good enough for the maths degree whereas it was a great advantage for Economics. But I felt the History, Politics and Economics made it more interesting rather than being a distraction. Only you know what you enjoy. I don't think you can say either is easier to get an offer for.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by velvetcap
Hi, sorry that I'm spamming this forum. How lenient are Cambridge actually on A level results? I'm taking a gap this year. Do I have any chance of getting an offer from Trinity College (for maths) with these grades? :

A* - Maths
A - F.Maths
C - Physics (I said I will be retaking 3 modules: 1 from AS and 2 from A2, which will hopefully push it up to an A)

British Maths Olympiad Round 1 - Bronze Medal (This means I placed in the top 100 nationally)

1,1 in STEP I and II (I said I'll be doing III this year, i.e. June 2015)

EDIT: I've sent off my SAQ, just seeking opinions.

Trinity college is really popular, and maths is seriously competitive, with the majority of students achieving higher grades than A*AC...the typical maths offer is A*A*A so you'd need an A* in your physics retake just to meet the minimum requirement.

I'm really sorry but I'm not sure you have much chance at Cambridge...no harm applying but make sure you have some other options too :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, sorry that I'm spamming this forum. How lenient are Cambridge actually on A level results? I'm taking a gap this year. Do I have any chance of getting an offer from Trinity College (for maths) with these grades? :

A* - Maths
A - F.Maths
C - Physics (I said I will be retaking 3 modules: 1 from AS and 2 from A2, which will hopefully push it up to an A)

British Maths Olympiad Round 1 - Bronze Medal (This means I placed in the top 100 nationally)

If you're in the top 100, how come you didn't get an A* in FM? Was it that hard?

Posted from TSR Mobile

A* - Maths
A - F.Maths

I find it unusual that somebody with 1,1 in STEP gets an A in FM & a C in Physics.
You haven't actually met the standard offer which is A*A*A + STEP 1,1 in 2 & 3 if you are doing FM.

Unless your school has reason to submit an ECF (extenuating circumstances form) I doubt you will get an interview, let alone for Trinity.
Do you guys think I stand ANY chance of being interviewed or otherwise even short listed as for Cambridge/Oxford medicine courses?
I got 9A* and 1A for my GCSEs.

Help! I'm so anxious.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by serztonin
Do you guys think I stand ANY chance of being interviewed or otherwise even short listed as for Cambridge/Oxford medicine courses?
I got 9A* and 1A for my GCSEs.

Help! I'm so anxious.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't be ridiculous! Obviously people get in with 9a*. Until you have uMS we cannot say for Cambridge. Oxford give offers to 25% of those with 10A*+. Even if you trolled with 10A* we couldn't guarantee an interview or offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What would my chances of an offer for mathematics at Trinity be, based on the following grades?

GCSE: 11A*s
AS: 5As (95%+ in Mathematics and Further Mathematics, 90%+ in Physics, Chemistry and Biology)

I realise that these grades ARE 'good enough' for Cambridge, I'm just wondering if it would increase my chances to above say 50:50, or rather will just get me an interview?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending