The Student Room Group

Personal statement for MA courses

I'm looking at applying for two different MA courses at University of Birmingham (Social Research (Economical and Social History) or Modern British Studies). The first has 1+3 research council funding opportunities, which is my prefered option, but both are in the History department. I am applying after a few years being unwell and from doing an unrelated under-grad course.

Any tips on what else I could add or if theres anything else I have missed out? I haven't really any relevant work experience to add.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Lady_Riot
I'm looking at applying for two different MA courses at University of Birmingham (Social Research (Economical and Social History) or Modern British Studies). The first has 1+3 research council funding opportunities, which is my prefered option, but both are in the History department. I am applying after a few years being unwell and from doing an unrelated under-grad course.

Any tips on what else I could add or if theres anything else I have missed out? I haven't really any relevant work experience to add.

Hey there, I've removed your personal statement from your post. TSR is a public forum so if you post your statement here you could be accused of plagiarism as it may be indexed by plagiarism software, or someone else might copy it and hand it in as their own. :h:

Thanks and good luck with your application!

Puddles
Reply 2
So how can I get advice on it if i can't post it? I understand the reasons but is there anything else I can do? My previous uni won't help because I've been an alumnus for more than 4 years.
Reply 3
I don't think work experience really matters. However if you've done any then mention it and say how it helped build certain skills e.g managing time, working in a group, taking orders from people, etc.

I guess just mostly try to convey passion for your subject, say why you like it, individual areas that you like within it, and talk about why you want to do it.
Original post by Lady_Riot
So how can I get advice on it if i can't post it? I understand the reasons but is there anything else I can do? My previous uni won't help because I've been an alumnus for more than 4 years.

You need to look at the guidance for writing your PS. Even with the old review service we never looked at postgrad PSs cos the requirements vary so much. For example some may want you to talk about your research that you are interested in doing

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending