The Student Room Group

QTS Skills Test 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hi!

I have my numeracy test to still complete am I right in saying you get a pen and paper for workings now insted of a white board? Is there anything stopping you from writing anything down before you start the test e.g a few timestables?

Any help would be greatly appricated :smile:
Becca
Yeah - it is pen and paper you are given.

Yes, you can write, stuff, on the paper

Original post by Beccaa90
Hi!

I have my numeracy test to still complete am I right in saying you get a pen and paper for workings now insted of a white board? Is there anything stopping you from writing anything down before you start the test e.g a few timestables?

Any help would be greatly appricated :smile:
Becca
Hi everyone, really helpful reading these comments. :smile:
I passed my numeracy test first time last week... PHEW! But i practiced and revised really hard for it. So much so, that I became cocky with my literacy, didnt revise enough .... and failed it.:frown: Due to a technical cock up with the SKILLS TEST booking company...I now only have 1 more chance to pass it week after next. So im putting in so much extra practice and even getting a tutor. Id rather spend the odd £20 than lose my PGCE place!....BUT I always get over 70 and sometimes 80 % for my practice tests (on the DfE web page)....so I am putting it down to maybe nerves that I failed by only 6 points before?!?!
I would like to know of any really useful websites, more practice papers, or even just general helpful tips?!?!
I found the literacy test MUCH harder than the practice ones I had done beforehand.
I also have the 'Passing the Literacy Skills Test' book. So that's a bit helpful.
My weak points are generally, the punctuation and comprehension.
Would very much appreciate some tips :smile:

Thanks in advance guys!
Elli
x
Reply 23
Is there time/are you aloud to write any notes down before the test starts though e.g some timestables?
Original post by ElliF1990
I passed my numeracy test first time last week... PHEW! But i practiced and revised really hard for it. So much so, that I became cocky with my literacy, didnt revise enough .... and failed it.:frown: Due to a technical cock up with the SKILLS TEST booking company...I now only have 1 more chance to pass it week after next. So im putting in so much extra practice and even getting a tutor. Id rather spend the odd £20 than lose my PGCE place!....BUT I always get over 70 and sometimes 80 % for my practice tests (on the DfE web page)....so I am putting it down to maybe nerves that I failed by only 6 points before?!?!
I would like to know of any really useful websites, more practice papers, or even just general helpful tips?!?!
I found the literacy test MUCH harder than the practice ones I had done beforehand.
I also have the 'Passing the Literacy Skills Test' book. So that's a bit helpful.

Thanks in advance guys!
Elli
x

Hey,

Sorry to hear you failed. I do think that there are some difficult literacy test, which is why some people struggle. I used the passing the literacy skills test book, I found some of the information confusing! :-/

My advise would be to go over all the spellings in the forums where people have added spelling. Also, I added more than 15 punctuation marks.

How did you find the numeracy test? Can you remember any info on the mental maths and the on screen part?
Original post by Beccaa90
Is there time/are you aloud to write any notes down before the test starts though e.g some timestables?

Hi,

I've been told that you are not allowed to write anything before the practise question has started. However, I have heard that people have written them down the moment they sit down. I think it depends if you're being watched!
Original post by ElliF1990

Thanks in advance guys!
Elli
x

For the punctuation it's ok to put more than 15, so put as many as you may. I found that the different use of ';' or ',' for a list usually comes up somewhere.

For comprehension it depends on the question type you get - I was pretty lousy with the explicit implicit types and the books did help.

Creative Openings (stevelearning.com) has a comprehension supplement with about 20 passages - worth doing the extra practices! It also has a punctuation one too. I also downloaded the paper practice test from dfe as they also include answers and explanations there.

I am surprised that due to a technical gliche you're only allowed 1 more chance? I have heard that if you did not turn up for a test it won't count towards your 3 chances - worthwhile to ring them up as you may get another chance - though I do wish you won't need this at all!
Original post by Layla_G
Haven't seen a recent thread for the QTS Skills test. Anyone passed the numeracy one? I have mine in a week!! :frown::frown::frown: Any tips?

Hi Layla,

I passed mine today! The first ever practice test I did I was getting 18%. By the time it came to the test I was getting 75%.

I would say the things that helped me the most were:
- Knowing my times tables
- Learning methods for quick division/multiplication
- Learning how to read different charts and graphs
- Knowing what mode/median/range means
- Completing practice tests

I bought two books which I found helpful, although this may be too late for you. However, I bought a subscription to Numeracy Ready which provides 20 practice papers plus assistance with things you don't understand. I have 6 papers left which can be used on my account which are of no wish to me. You are more than welcome have my account details if you wish. Just let me know.

Good luck with your revision, you will be fine!

Rosie :smile:
Hi all,

I thought I'd just give some tips for all those that are soon going to take the skills test!

I passed both literacy and numeracy first time.

Literacy was easier than I expected. I printed out all the words that were posted on forum, made a 4 page word document and revised those words. What really helps with the spelling part is writing the words on the paper as soon as you hear them, just so you don't doubt yourself.

Numeracy was really, really difficult. About 50% of the test was not covered in the online practise tests on the gov.uk website. I was so shocked and it really got me down during the test. I didn't have time to go back and go through the questions as I was panicking so much. I think I got the hardest test of all, as I saw other candidates having the test similar to those in the practise ones.

I understand that they have to raise the standards, etc etc.. Revise different types of scatter graphs...make sure you know cm-->metre conversions, calculating area/perimeter will be helpful, study different types of graphs, adding and subtracting decimals.

Remember 'Downing STreet' for distance = speed/time, speed = distance/time, time = distance/speed. It normally is good to write draw the triangle as soon as you a question asking you to work out what time someone has to leave to get to a certain place.

Also, please know that when trying to find out time as a decimal - multiply by 60. For example, .12 as a decimal but when converting to minutes - I would do .12 x 60 = 7.2 (rounding to neareast WHOLE number = 7).

Revise rounding up and down, to the nearest whole number, to the nearest 1, 2 decimal place, etc.

I would say when reading the questions in regards to a graph, make sure you read the sentence and focus on what they are actually asking for - because they put in such wordy sentences and questions that you can waste time trying to understand parts that doesn't help you.

Make sure you write out working outs, as well as using the online calculator because you can easily make mistakes when typing/clicking.

I did buy numeracy ready online and it was really helpful. I watched the videos on youtube as well on bits that I didn't understand.

If I can think of anything else, I'll add it to here later on. Good luck everyone! :-)
Reply 29
Hi all,

I had my Numeracy Skills Test last week and thankfully passed.

I guessed at least 4 questions during the on screen questions and they weren't educated guesses either...
I wanted to advise anyone who is yet to take the test: DO NOT LEAVE OUT ANY QUESTION. Have a guess, you still have a chance of getting it right and it could make all the difference. Like it did with me.

I have my Literacy one tomorrow and I shall let you know what happens and hopefully remember some of those spellings to share with you here.

Remember, a positive attitude is key for success!

Wish you all the best :smile:
I had my maths last week and failed miserably! I just went into panic mode and could not think. The test was soooo hard, nothing like the practice questions :-0 I need to rebook but I am so nervous and worried!!! Does anyone know if they are set tests or are the questions selected at random?

Well done one to all those that have passed and good luck to those yet to take test...:-/
Original post by MissJGB

Really???!!! I did not think this. I have never failed on a practice test but the real one was sooo hard :-( I need to get over this negativity and stay focussed or I will never pass. Any tips?
Reply 32
Original post by Melly123456
I had my maths last week and failed miserably! I just went into panic mode and could not think. The test was soooo hard, nothing like the practice questions :-0 I need to rebook but I am so nervous and worried!!!

Really???!!! I did not think this. I have never failed on a practice test but the real one was sooo hard :-( I need to get over this negativity and stay focussed or I will never pass. Any tips?

What do you mean by "nothing like the practice questions"? Phrased differently? Problems you've never seen before? More emphasis on one particular type of problem - conversions, times tables, stats - than you were used to?

Try to remember / identify the areas that gave you trouble and practise intensively on those. Don't rebook until you feel more confident with the material, or you may find yourself in the same situation again :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 33
Hi all, today I passed my Literacy thankfully.
Spellings I remember that came up:
Preliminary
Controversial
Effective
Atrocious (I think)
Hopefully I'll remember some more.

The Literacy wasn't that difficult I think. Make sure you read the question properly in the comprehension in particular- I almost got caught out until I reread it.

Good luck everyone!
Davros,

The graphs in particular were totally different from the practice ones! I had one graph and did not know what it was -I had no box and whiskers, pie, bar or scatter??!! This threw me and I became panicked and messed up!

Also a big mistake was not reading the areas of maths guidance on the DfE. I had a question on area which I forgot how to work out because the practice tests are quite similar and did not have an area question. I am getting 92% on them now, mainly due the remembering them. So I have bought the numeracy ready and the Mark Patmore book.

My strategy for next time is to flag wordy or more complex questions and come back to them as I was finding these were taking more than the recommended 2 mins, but once I do the easier ones it means I have more time :-)

Do you know if the real tests are set or just randomly selected questions?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 35
I had my numeracy test on Friday and was in complete despair with some of the questions on the onscreen section, there were graphs I had never encountered before and it seemed much harder then any practise tests (sorry don't mean to worry people!) I guessed at least 5, didn't have time to answer 2 questions for the mental part but miraculously passed. I am wondering have the tests become more difficult? Or is it just random? Felt as though they wanted to deliberately catch people out. Anyway, for those still waiting to sit the test I strongly recommend 'numeracy ready' website, for £20 you get 20 online practise tests and tutorials, it really helped me. Good luck!!
Original post by bswaz
I had my numeracy test on Friday and was in complete despair with some of the questions on the onscreen section, there were graphs I had never encountered before and it seemed much harder then any practise tests (sorry don't mean to worry people!) I guessed at least 5, didn't have time to answer 2 questions for the mental part but miraculously passed. I am wondering have the tests become more difficult? Or is it just random? Felt as though they wanted to deliberately catch people out. Anyway, for those still waiting to sit the test I strongly recommend 'numeracy ready' website, for £20 you get 20 online practise tests and tutorials, it really helped me. Good luck!!

I also bought the numeracy ready but again felt that the real questions were much harder. I too am wondering whether the tests are getting harder?!
Reply 37
I also bought the numeracy ready but again felt that the real questions were much harder. I too am wondering whether the tests are getting harder?!

I had a look on the government website regarding the numeracy test, it stated 'a test with slightly harder questions will have a slightly lower pass mark and a test with slightly easier questions will have a slightly higher pass mark.' (Might explain how I passed) but that still doesn't explain the unfamiliar content! I might email numeracy ready and explain the graphs etc perhaps they could try and include them in the future with tutorials. I know government said the tests would become more difficult in September, not sure if that's still the case or whether they've suddenly brought it forward :frown:
Original post by bswaz
I had a look on the government website regarding the numeracy test, it stated 'a test with slightly harder questions will have a slightly lower pass mark and a test with slightly easier questions will have a slightly higher pass mark.' (Might explain how I passed) but that still doesn't explain the unfamiliar content! I might email numeracy ready and explain the graphs etc perhaps they could try and include them in the future with tutorials. I know government said the tests would become more difficult in September, not sure if that's still the case or whether they've suddenly brought it forward :frown:

Oh right that is interesting about the pass marks being lower for harder and higher for easier. So, it is not 63 % or 18/28 for all tests then. I would love to know their justification for this, along with the two years!!!
Yes, that would be a great idea for numeracy ready - i could not even explain the graph I had :-O anything to help others, so they did not have to go through all this stress!
I think now I have seen a hard tests, it has thrown me andn I am rally struggling to be positive!
Reply 39
Oh right that is interesting about the pass marks being lower for harder and higher for easier. So, it is not 63 % or 18/28 for all tests then. I would love to know their justification for this, along with the two years!!!
Yes, that would be a great idea for numeracy ready - i could not even explain the graph I had :-O anything to help others, so they did not have to go through all this stress!
I think now I have seen a hard tests, it has thrown me andn I am rally struggling to be positive!

Did you get a question with a table about the different levels and sets of boys and girls and there were 25% more boys (something like that)? Perhaps you could Google image 'graphs' and see if any come up that was on test then watch some YouTube videos on those specific graphs? I was praying for box and whisker graphs haha they're my favourite!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending