The Student Room Group

NHS Couch to 5k - Fitness Phobes Anonymous

Scroll to see replies

Driving to the gym is one of the silliest things a huge amount of people I see do! (There are obviously different cases for some people).
Begin by walking/jogging to the gym in the first place, so many people underestimate the value of walking for fitness, driving completely eradicates the opportunity you have to begin and enhance your progress!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you for commenting - I did want to start by jogging to the gym, but my nearest one is about six miles away, and at the moment I don't jog/run at all

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by StudentAnon1
Thank you for commenting - I did want to start by jogging to the gym, but my nearest one is about six miles away, and at the moment I don't jog/run at all

Posted from TSR Mobile

Jun that case, slowly build up the distance you might jog as strange as it might sound... Start by parking down the road a bit, then round the corner from there, then a bit further away so each time that distance is getting further.
In your case it's probably best if you don't walk/jog the whole distance really if your target is just a 5K.
Another way I've seen it being done is catch the bus and get of a couple of stops early and walk/jog the rest of the journey.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am leaving the gym and doing the Couch to 5k instead! The gym is so boring, repetitive and I also have to drive there and park which is a nightmare. Save your money and in cooperate your running regime with Jillian Michaels workout DVD. They are all on YouTube. You will feel fit in no time :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by StudentAnon1
I really want to get fit and try to tone up in time for summer - I'm going to join a gym but I can only do that when I can drive!
I was wondering if any of you lovely people here have started/completed this programme? If you did you find it effective?
I am new to running btw and want something which will ease me in! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's really good! It challenges you from the start (although it's quite easy to begin with) and has some pretty fun music to listen to while you're jogging along. It definitely keeps up motivation and stops you from cutting your run short :tongue: It literally is like having a personal trainer!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have completed the program and run regularly. I absolutely loved it and it got me hooked on running. It was tough in places but definitely worth it when you c sided how much progress you make in such a short time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by myblueheaven339
I have completed the program and run regularly. I absolutely loved it and it got me hooked on running. It was tough in places but definitely worth it when you c sided how much progress you make in such a short time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is it possible to lose weight with c25k?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Butterfly92xo
Is it possible to lose weight with c25k?

Posted from TSR Mobile

As long as you are burning more energy than you consume then yes. If you still eat like a pig then no.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm on week three of the Couch to 5k and I love it! Admittedly I do have my own treadmill, so I don't have to venture outside into the cold to run...
Original post by SammyHam
I'm on week three of the Couch to 5k and I love it! Admittedly I do have my own treadmill, so I don't have to venture outside into the cold to run...

I recommend mixing it up with running outside, especially when you are building up to longer runs as I find the treadmill can get boring.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Genuinely think I'm gonna give this a go!

Just need to cut down on food crap though or it'll be kinda redundant ? :/
Original post by Inexorably
Genuinely think I'm gonna give this a go!

Just need to cut down on food crap though or it'll be kinda redundant ? :/

It's a great way to get started. Easy to follow but with enough progression so you don't lose motivation. Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I haven't ran in two months but my last running time was at 29 minutes for 5k. I want to start running again but I don't know which week would be best to restart training on. Any tips?
Original post by hawflo
I haven't ran in two months but my last running time was at 29 minutes for 5k. I want to start running again but I don't know which week would be best to restart training on. Any tips?

Maybe go out at a comfortable 10 min/mile pace and see how long you can go for? Then take that as a baseline to help judge which week.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wondered why I couldn't find this thread, was on page 2 :tongue:
--
I have bought a pair of shoes and I am ready to start CT5K this week :biggrin:
Wondered why I couldn't find this thread, was on page 2 :tongue:
--
I have bought a pair of shoes and I am ready to start CT5K this week :biggrin:

That's exciting :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just ran my first sub 30 min 5k :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by myblueheaven339
Just ran my first sub 30 min 5k :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congrats :biggrin:

---

I just did my very first ct5k run... this is the first time I've run since school which was three years ago+.

I ache and hurt too muchhhhh
Congrats :biggrin:

---

I just did my very first ct5k run... this is the first time I've run since school which was three years ago+.

I ache and hurt too muchhhhh

Well done for starting! You'll be cruising along in no time :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
My boyfriend and I are doing this! We're starting week five tonight and I'm excited/terrified for 20min run at the end of the week!

I used to be super fit (I was a rower in school) but in the past few years I've fallen off track. I've put on soooo much weight and exercise just hasn't happened so my fitness level dropped to nil. Since we moved in together Mister's been going the same way (although he was never as sporty as I was) and it's made it to a kind of now or never situation.

I found the Couch to 5K while I was scouring the interweb looking for some way to ease back in to exercise and we've done it on and off for about 9 months but it was more a case of us doing one run and then not running again for another month or two so it wasn't working whatsoever.

This past month we've managed to keep going - no excuses! - and have managed the three runs per week for the past four weeks. It's been a really good program so far, at the beginning I struggled to run for 60 seconds and now I'm coping well with the 5 minute runs we're on right now. I'm still not convinced I'll make it all the way through the 20 minutes at the end of this week without a break but we'll see what Thursday brings!

Quick Reply

Latest