The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial College Applicants 2016 entry

Scroll to see replies

I just think it's unfair that some people get into the same course by achieving lesser grades. Everyone should get the exact same offer and be expected to be rejected if they miss it. But instead they just make life harder for a supposedly not random group of offer holders xD My thoughts go to those expected to hit a STEP grade.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by LordGaben
The spoiler spoils the prank :biggrin: I'm getting impatient and my interview was on the 25th :s-smilie:

Well you better go grab yourself a few hundred bags of popcorn and a Netflix subscription, you're going to be in for a long stressful ride :P

Hope that helps :lol:

In a few days you'll get less impatient and just give up hope, then it will come out of nowhere haha.
Original post by ComputerMaths97
Well you better go grab yourself a few hundred bags of popcorn and a Netflix subscription, you're going to be in for a long stressful ride :P

In a few days you'll get less impatient and just give up hope, then it will come out of nowhere haha.

Hm just like trying to find something missing in the house hahaha. I have the netflix subscription so I'm 50% prepared for my path of redemption.
Original post by ComputerMaths97

lmao this is so accurate
Don't worry, I spoke to the Mech. Eng. admissions tutor at interview & he said they never give out STEP offers.:smile: How did your interview go btw?
Original post by tanyapotter
are they allowed to give step offers to people who haven't said they're doing step?
Original post by a_quiet_person
Don't worry, I spoke to the Mech. Eng. admissions tutor at interview & he said they never give out STEP offers.:smile: How did your interview go btw?

I think it didn't go terribly, but far from perfectly. Got to the answer for both the maths and physics questions, but in retrospect they were both so insanely easy that I wish I hadn't asked for so much help!! Also got asked why engineering and why ETH Zurich for the year abroad (which I was SO DAMN EXCITED TO HEAR ABOUT!!! I love ETH Zurich so much - it's where Albert Einstein graduated!! And they require a level of proficiency in German which is perfect for me!! And it's SWITZERLAND!!! I WANT TO GO SO BADLY OMGGGG)

Anyway, yeah. Hope to hear soon but not getting my hopes up because it could be any of us 40 who get rejected.
I think it didn't go terribly, but far from perfectly. Got to the answer for both the maths and physics questions, but in retrospect they were both so insanely easy that I wish I hadn't asked for so much help!! Also got asked why engineering and why ETH Zurich for the year abroad (which I was SO DAMN EXCITED TO HEAR ABOUT!!! I love ETH Zurich so much - it's where Albert Einstein graduated!! And they require a level of proficiency in German which is perfect for me!! And it's SWITZERLAND!!! I WANT TO GO SO BADLY OMGGGG)

Anyway, yeah. Hope to hear soon but not getting my hopes up because it could be any 40 of us who get rejected.

YOU GET TO GO TO ETH ZUERICH?!

OML I am jealous
Hi~~
I submitted my application for EEE by 15 Oct and soon IC asked for my predicted grade. My IB prediction was 40. But I haven't heard anything from them since then. Do you guys think there is a possibility for me to get in?
I submitted my application by 15 Oct and my intended course is MEng. IC asked for my predicted grade after a few days after my submission and I got IB predicted 40. But I haven't heard anything from them since then. Do you guys think that I still have a chance? Or should I just switch my eye to Manchester U?
Original post by Student403
YOU GET TO GO TO ETH ZUERICH?!

OML I am jealous

Yep!! If you choose Year Abroad, there are many universities through the Erasmus scheme that you can go to in your 4th year - provided you're doing well on your course (I'd assume consistently 2:1 or above by the end of the third year). The unis/places in the scheme for MechEng this year were:
Aachen (Germany)
ETH Zurich (Switzerland)
Some uni in Holland
2 Unis in France (don't remember exactly which, sorry)
University if California (the most oversubscribed one)
National University Singapore
University of Melbourne

idk if I've forgotten any
Yep!! If you choose Year Abroad, there are many universities through the Erasmus scheme that you can go to in your 4th year - provided you're doing well on your course (I'd assume consistently 2:1 or above by the end of the third year). The unis/places in the scheme for MechEng this year were:
Aachen (Germany)
ETH Zurich (Switzerland)
Some uni in Holland
2 Unis in France (don't remember exactly which, sorry)
University if California (the most oversubscribed one)
National University Singapore
University of Melbourne

idk if I've forgotten any

Mhmmm Mechanical Engineering seems AWESOME for that.

For us Aero, the only place in Deutschland is RWTH Aachen (Not that the ranking bothers me so much <': http://puu.sh/lEoOE/834c600945.png) but ETH Zuerich is sooo cool! And personally I don't like the idea of going to the UCs. I was going to apply to UCB/UCLA but they really aren't great for Aero compared to others in the states. Also NUS looks SICK! I LOVE Singapore and I would have such a hard time choosing between Aachen and NUS ( ;'( I say this as if I'll get an offer)
Mhmmm Mechanical Engineering seems AWESOME for that.

For us Aero, the only place in Deutschland is RWTH Aachen (Not that the ranking bothers me so much <': http://puu.sh/lEoOE/834c600945.png) but ETH Zuerich is sooo cool! And personally I don't like the idea of going to the UCs. I was going to apply to UCB/UCLA but they really aren't great for Aero compared to others in the states. Also NUS looks SICK! I LOVE Singapore and I would have such a hard time choosing between Aachen and NUS ( ;'( I say this as if I'll get an offer)

Tbh all those universities are amazing! I'm glad Imperial has such great links. You will get an offer, and don't worry - they're very flexible and accommodating with choices and you don't really have to decide til even the 3rd year (at MechEng, anyway). I was reluctant to go for the UCs because 1) there's high competition, 2) Europe ftw! I didn't take German for 7 years just to piss off to America :tongue:. NUS sounds great too, but again - really did want to choose a German speaking country, and between Aachen and Zurich, I think Zurich had the greatest appeal. I really hope I get an offer! :frown:
Tbh all those universities are amazing! I'm glad Imperial has such great links. You will get an offer, and don't worry - they're very flexible and accommodating with choices and you don't really have to decide til even the 3rd year (at MechEng, anyway). I was reluctant to go for the UCs because 1) there's high competition, 2) Europe ftw! I didn't take German for 7 years just to piss off to America :tongue:. NUS sounds great too, but again - really did want to choose a German speaking country, and between Aachen and Zurich, I think Zurich had the greatest appeal. I really hope I get an offer! :frown:

Yes it's amazing! For Materials students, they even have a linked program with MIT (OMFG?!?)!! Thanks for the hope heheh I hope so - And honestly yours wasn't a disaster so I think you'll be fine :console:UCs aren't actually too bad (barring UCB). From the stats of 2014, apparently 51% of people with a Critical Reading score >=700 got accepted to UCLA (arguable rank 1= UC with UCB) so while it probably is competitive, I think there are many harder ones in America. And yeah haha I agree. The only thing stopping me from wanting to go to NUS is the fact that I've taken Deutsch for 7 Jahren xD
Yes it's amazing! For Materials students, they even have a linked program with MIT (OMFG?!?)!! Thanks for the hope heheh I hope so - And honestly yours wasn't a disaster so I think you'll be fine :console:UCs aren't actually too bad (barring UCB). From the stats of 2014, apparently 51% of people with a Critical Reading score >=700 got accepted to UCLA (arguable rank 1= UC with UCB) so while it probably is competitive, I think there are many harder ones in America. And yeah haha I agree. The only thing stopping me from wanting to go to NUS is the fact that I've taken Deutsch for 7 Jahren xD

MIT?! That's so awesome omg. Btw do you know specifically which California uni is involved in the scheme? Is it Berkley or UCLA or just UC, or all 3? I don't think they specified on the admissions day.
MIT?! That's so awesome omg. Btw do you know specifically which California uni is involved in the scheme? Is it Berkley or UCLA or just UC, or all 3? I don't think they specified on the admissions day.

Hope this answers your question

http://puu.sh/lEqXt/ad9b22b213.png
Hope this answers your question

http://puu.sh/lEqXt/ad9b22b213.png

Cool, thanks! Those damn Materials students..so lucky!
Cool, thanks! Those damn Materials students..so lucky!

Ugh ikr hahaha.. But Cambridge does exchanges in ALL types of engineering with MIT ;-;
Ugh ikr hahaha.. But Cambridge does exchanges in ALL types of engineering with MIT ;-;

Imagine doing Mechanical Engineering at MIT!!! I don't suppose they do Harvard and Caltech too? Wouldn't be surprised!
Imagine doing Mechanical Engineering at MIT!!! I don't suppose they do Harvard and Caltech too? Wouldn't be surprised!

Nah they don't. Harvard isn't very good for engineering though anyway (rankings are a bit silly), and Caltech is more for scientists :3
Reply 3379
Is it a bad sign that I haven't heard anything about maths yet?
Do they send rejection emails?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending