The Student Room Group

Attn Muslims: Do you shake hands with the females

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by TaintedLight
funny how you feel so insecure (?) with a question on the internet ^_*

So offer a hand with a chance that it may be declined? :biggrin:

Idk if that ever happened to me I would feel so awkward might as well never extend my hand.

Lol no I don't feel insecure. It's just a little sad how much time you have to be worrying about things like what hand we eat/drink with, as if it would make a difference to you whether we drink with our hands or feet.
Original post by HAnwar
Lol no I don't feel insecure. It's just a little sad how much time you have to be worrying about things like what hand we eat/drink with, as if it would make a difference to you whether we drink with our hands or feet.

Your husbands permitted to beat you if you disobey him, I feel sorry for you.
I haven't done since I found out girls fart
Reply 23
Original post by beggersbelief
Your husbands permitted to beat you if you disobey him, I feel sorry for you.

I feel sorry for your future husband/wife for having to put up with someone like you.
Original post by HAnwar
I feel sorry for your future husband/wife for having to put up with someone like you.

I'm not going to beat my wife if she disobeys me - As I don't follow a backwards hateful ideology.
Reply 25
I'm not going to beat my wife if she disobeys me - As I don't follow a backwards hateful ideology.

Nor would any decent guy.
I'm being deadly serious. If Allah has a problem with males shaking females hands, he is truly pathetic.

I think the "truly pathetic" person is he who spends his Friday afternoon trolling a student forum.

but that's just me :dontknow:
Yes, I do. :getmecoat:

Whether it's acceptable or not in ISLAM to beat your wife for disobeying, there's no need for it to be done anyway. Let's say it is acceptable, it doesn't mean the majority of Muslim men beat their wives. My whole family is Muslim and NEVER has my dad hit my mum, EVER! Even if they get into somewhat of an argument, they don't ever hit each other.

If I were you i'd stop spending your time criticising a religion just because there are things within it you disagree with, when you haven't experienced it first hand for yourself.
Original post by NadeemKha_Arab
Whether it's acceptable or not in ISLAM to beat your wife for disobeying, there's no need for it to be done anyway. Let's say it is acceptable, it doesn't mean the majority of Muslim men beat their wives. My whole family is Muslim and NEVER has my dad hit my mum, EVER! Even if they get into somewhat of an argument, they don't ever hit each other.

If I were you i'd stop spending your time criticising a religion just because there are things within it you disagree with, when you haven't experienced it first hand for yourself.

But if he did beat her if she'd disobeyed him - Allah would find this perfectly acceptable. Allah doesn't sound very nice to me.

I'm glad you follow your own morals before the morals of this backwards ideology.

Deep down you know some parts of Islam are nonsensical and unpleasant.
But if he did beat her if she'd disobeyed him - Allah would find this perfectly acceptable. Allah doesn't sound very nice to me.

I'm glad you follow your own morals before the morals of this backwards ideology.

Deep down you know some parts of Islam are nonsensical and unpleasant.

I'm pretty sure there are many non-Muslims out there who beat or 'hit'/slap (whatever physical definition you want to use) if they get mad at a women there in a relationship with if they majorly upset them, cheating etc.
It's seems as though you don't know that actually Islam teaches people to treat their wives fairly and with love and respect.
Islam isn't nonsense, but these days many people who aren't Muslim, or do not understand Islam the correct way just paint a negative picture that it's a religion of violence and hatred. It really isn't. But you wouldn't understand that because you'll spend the rest of your life criticising it, even if you're wrong.

I'm not going to turn this into a debate because I could go on forever and I know you won't back down or see the good side of Islam. I'm just really upset that it's got to the point everywhere I look it's people hating on Islam, or even religion as a whole. TSR alone is full of it. People just sit behind a screen and hate on it and try to find every little thing to have a go at without even knowing the full context behind the idea.

Enjoy the rest of your day.
not shaking someone's hand is the stupidest **** ever. Like what good convincing reasonable explanation would one have for not doing so?
that just something petty and silly which shouldn't bother anyone
Original post by HAnwar

Notice this thread's discussion is not about what hand one should be using to eat or drink.

For some (obvious) reason you had no knowledgeable response for the topic so decided to play the silly "why do you care what we do" card. Wise up dude.

Original post by thefatone
not shaking someone's hand is the stupidest **** ever. Like what good convincing reasonable explanation would one have for not doing so?
that just something petty and silly which shouldn't bother anyone

You may not be really interested in this....assuming the scholar's words were indeed prophetic, it would mean shaking hands with opposite sexes today would mean people greeting each other via kissing or variant in 10 years or so.

Original post by digistar_100
It's haraam to have any sort of skin contact with someone from the opposite gender who isn't your close relative. It allows Shaytaan to tempt you to have thoughts which could result in you commiting a much major sin further down the line such as fornication or adultery. Therefore as a precaution all Muslims should not allow this to happen even though it may be common in the west but this can be said for most things like music and drinking.

Genuinely appreciate your response. Thanks.
(edited 8 years ago)
funny how you feel so insecure (?) with a question on the internet ^_*

So offer a hand with a chance that it may be declined? :biggrin:

Idk if that ever happened to me I would feel so awkward might as well never extend my hand.

You mistake me, obviously I am talking about when the hand is extended to me.
Reply 34
Original post by digistar_100
It's haraam to have any sort of skin contact with someone from the opposite gender who isn't your close relative. It allows Shaytaan to tempt you to have thoughts which could result in you commiting a much major sin further down the line such as fornication or adultery. Therefore as a precaution all Muslims should not allow this to happen even though it may be common in the west but this can be said for most things like music and drinking.

Shaytaan sounds like a ghetto name

You may not be really interested in this....assuming the scholar's words were indeed prophetic, it would mean shaking hands with opposite sexes today would mean people greeting each other via kissing or variant in 10 years or so.

so times have changed so why are people still being held back by ridiculous rules?
Original post by TreeFellOnMe
I did not know it is forbidden. Oh well, I don't see the harm in it and would rather go ahead rather than make them feel like they're too insignificant to shake my hand.

It's okay because you didn't know at first but touching a female in any way is forbidden by consensus. You can carry on doing it because of your free will but I just thought that I'd let you and the other TSRians know.
Does drinking alcohol with your left make it super-haram?
Original post by Mochassassin
I remember being told when I was younger that I shouldn't shake hands with a male even if it was for something necessary such as a job/uni interview.
Imo, that's a little ridiculous.
1) It looks awkward keeping your hands by your side. Cue the awkward silence...or would any of you actually say "sorry, I can't shake your hand"?
2) It doesn't give a very good jmpression especially if they decided to offer you a job/place.
:dontknow:

They tell you because it's not allowed at all. Doesn't matter how many reasons you pile up towards its benefit. Touching someone of the opposite gender is forbidden in the faith except in cases of emergency.

I got by in life, in politics and my journey to med school perfectly without ever having to shake a female's hand. Whenever I was in that position, I was able to explain myself and it was always well-recieved :smile: If one REALLY wanted to avoid the sin, one would do avoid it rather than make excuses.

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Milzime
wait people actually cannot shake hands with the opposite sex because of their religion(?)

guys, I'm sure you're faith is great, and I honestly mean that, but isn't that kind of excessive?

There cannot be any opposite gender contact. It's not excessive and it doesn't harm anyone. Right?

Quick Reply

Latest