The Student Room Group

PGL- Eligibility

Hello,

After finishing my undergraduate degree in 2014 I had originally wanted to go to London to study for a particular masters degree but, at the time, it was not economically viable for me to do so, so I decided to wait until the PGL of this year before I applied. However, in the year gap, (this academic year) my previous university offered me a scholarship to study a further masters there that I decided to do as a stop gap before the masters in London (this year coming). However, I notice now that if i hold a masters degree already, I am not eligible for the PGL. Something I didn't know would affect me at the time I made the decision last year.

The masters in London is the degree that I've always wanted to do, and the one most beneficial to my career, whereas the current programme I'm on was just done as a stop gap between undergrad and the masters in London. Could I, and should I therefore, postpone or drop out of my current masters course to maintain my eligibility for the PGL this year? As at the moment I still don't have a masters qualification..and won't officially until November.

Many thanks,
Original post by FinrodFelagund
Hello,

After finishing my undergraduate degree in 2014 I had originally wanted to go to London to study for a particular masters degree but, at the time, it was not economically viable for me to do so, so I decided to wait until the PGL of this year before I applied. However, in the year gap, (this academic year) my previous university offered me a scholarship to study a further masters there that I decided to do as a stop gap before the masters in London (this year coming). However, I notice now that if i hold a masters degree already, I am not eligible for the PGL. Something I didn't know would affect me at the time I made the decision last year.

The masters in London is the degree that I've always wanted to do, and the one most beneficial to my career, whereas the current programme I'm on was just done as a stop gap between undergrad and the masters in London. Could I, and should I therefore, postpone or drop out of my current masters course to maintain my eligibility for the PGL this year? As at the moment I still don't have a masters qualification..and won't officially until November.

Many thanks,

Does your current course offer early exit awards for PGdip/PGCert?

The guidance released so far states that you aren't eligible if you have a Masters or higher degree - it doesn't state that you'd be ineligible if you have a PGDip http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=23299-Postgraduate-Loan-Full-time-Who-can-get-a-PGL
Reply 2
Hello,

Many thanks,

Hi

If you already have a Master’s qualification you won’t be able to get a Postgraduate Loan for another postgraduate Master’s course. However, if you leave your course without a qualification you’d be able to apply for a Postgraduate Loan even though you’ve started a Master’s course in the past.

Ray
Original post by Ray SFE
Hi

If you already have a Master’s qualification you won’t be able to get a Postgraduate Loan for another postgraduate Master’s course. However, if you leave your course without a qualification you’d be able to apply for a Postgraduate Loan even though you’ve started a Master’s course in the past.

Ray

Hi Ray,

Thanks for the information. Does that also include PGdip and PGcert?

Ryan
Hi Ray,

Thanks for the information. Does that also include PGdip and PGcert?

Ryan

Hi

PGDip and DGCert qualifications are at a lower level than a postgraduate Master's course, so you would be able to get a Postgraduate Loan if you have a PGDip or PGCert qualification.

Laura
Original post by Laura SFE
Hi

PGDip and DGCert qualifications are at a lower level than a postgraduate Master's course, so you would be able to get a Postgraduate Loan if you have a PGDip or PGCert qualification.

Laura

Hi Laura

Thanks for the information. My last question is, if i was to suspend my study on my current programme, would i be eligible to apply for a PGL on a new course starting in September?

Ryan

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending