The Student Room Group

I need help for english lit please

Well basically my English lit exam is on the 27th of may so just over a month away. At the moment i havn't read either of the books (of mice and men or Lord of the flies) and have made it this far getting A/A* on my CA's without reading them. I don't know much about the books either and hoped by this time i would, but i don't. I am predicted mostly As with an A in English but honestly know near to nothing about both of them. I know this is my own fault but i just need some help from anyone who can understand my situation and give me tips on what to do and how to prepare for this exam. Any sources to websites or pointers would help ALOT. Thanks for any feedback
I'd read the books - yes the literature exam is mainly about analysing quotes from the text so yes you could be lucky enough to not need to read the books - however it is very very likely a theme question or character development question will come up - and for this you need to know the story line and what happens pretty much. The books aren't long, they shouldn't take more than an evening to read. I doubt you'll get an A/A* without reading them, to be honest
Schmoop. It's raised my level from D to A. It helps with analysing poems and books for english lit.
MrBruff on Youtube makes great videos which could help you. I would watch his videos and then make a mindmap on each of the characters and themes from his videos.
Original post by e1999

Hi! I moved this thread to the correct forum for you :h: have a look around the forum as it may help you out with your subject.
Original post by e1999
Well basically my English lit exam is on the 27th of may so just over a month away. At the moment i havn't read either of the books (of mice and men or Lord of the flies) and have made it this far getting A/A* on my CA's without reading them. I don't know much about the books either and hoped by this time i would, but i don't. I am predicted mostly As with an A in English but honestly know near to nothing about both of them. I know this is my own fault but i just need some help from anyone who can understand my situation and give me tips on what to do and how to prepare for this exam. Any sources to websites or pointers would help ALOT. Thanks for any feedback

You literally can read both texts in one setting. Of Mice and Men is the shortest thing I've ever read whilst at school. Spend a Saturday reading it. It took me about 9 hours to read it in class time which involved stopping and analysing it and etc. So it will take half of that if you're a quick reader too.

Lord of the Flies is a bit longer, that will take you probs a day to read. But then you're all sorted. One weekend and that's it.

I would strongly suggest you read it just so you get an idea what it's about.
I read Lord of the Flies at home. I've never read it with school.

It was really depressing.....
Could someone please help with this question - how does the firm and structure of ghazal help to present their ideas
Read the book or in the exam you will truly be shocked.
During my A levels, I always used to read the synopsis and the analysis of the texts, and then skim through the texts if I had literally no time to do the coursework/exam.
I got an A* in my A level exams, and now getting 2:1 in my literature degree.

ps: or be a good student and actually read the texts yourself.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending