The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nmys
Wherever you go you'll be with people around the same age as you, as a majority of students on undergraduate courses tend to be between 18-22 years old, so it's highly unlikely you won't be with people in your same age group, unless you somehow end up applying to postgrad/mature accommodation... There are a lot of halls in the centre, such as the riverside residences (Favell, Waverley, The Rackhay) or the ones closer to Park Street (Unite, Orchard Heights, Winkworth, Culver)... take your pick you have a lot to choose from.

Do you know much about Orchard Heights, Unite and Waverley in particular? Considering them for my 3 and don't want to make the wrong choices ahaha
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 1321
Original post by liquity
Do you know much about Orchard Heights, Unite and Waverley in particular? Considering them for my 3 and don't want to make the wrong choices ahaha

Orchard heights is incredibly nice because it's new. I've heard complaints from people this year that there are a lot of "teething problems" because the residence is so new, however I'm sure it'll be sorted for the next academic year.

Unite is much smaller and older, but it's not too bad, I don't know what you've heard... Unite owns Orchard Heights as well so the standard should be similar, even if Orchard is newer.

And I don't know anything about Waverley other than it has nice views over the harbourside.
Original post by Nmys
Orchard heights is incredibly nice because it's new. I've heard complaints from people this year that there are a lot of "teething problems" because the residence is so new, however I'm sure it'll be sorted for the next academic year.

Unite is much smaller and older, but it's not too bad, I don't know what you've heard... Unite owns Orchard Heights as well so the standard should be similar, even if Orchard is newer.

And I don't know anything about Waverley other than it has nice views over the harbourside.

Thank you so much for your help, I'm almost definitely putting OH as my first preference but thats what I thought about Unite, they're right next door and it can't be that much worse? But yeah thank you, will probs finalise my decision in the next few days :smile:
Do people in halls usually live out the whole 42 week tenancy or leave straight after the term ends like in the 38 week accommodation (manor hall)?
guys looking for self catered, do you think i should go for orchard heights, hiatt barker or goldney? seriously torn! and anyone thinking of new bridgewell for second preference? x
Original post by wizard01
Do people in halls usually live out the whole 42 week tenancy or leave straight after the term ends like in the 38 week accommodation (manor hall)?

Totally depends! I went back and forth after term had finished and moved all my stuff from halls into my second year house at the end of the tenancy rather than having to take everything home.
Original post by Rowena96
Totally depends! I went back and forth after term had finished and moved all my stuff from halls into my second year house at the end of the tenancy rather than having to take everything home.

Thanks for the response! I've been unsure about whether to apply for a 42 week tenancy or manor hall which has a shorter one.

Do you know anything about University Hall, Northwell or Manor all and its annexes? :smile:
Does anybody know what a typical offer for the Bristol economics course would be? How would not doing further maths at A level affect this?
Original post by punctuation
There isn't a similar thread at the moment, so I thought I'd create one. Just as it says on the title: ask a current Bristol student. My hope is that any prospective/new/etc. students can ask questions, and any current/past Bristol student can answer them!

Without further ado: ask away! :smile:

Is bristol 'sort of' a campus uni because most blocks are in 1 place?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can someone tell me about the aerospace engineering course. Also i am from london and will be applying this year. Is living on campus good?
Thanks for the response! I've been unsure about whether to apply for a 42 week tenancy or manor hall which has a shorter one.

Do you know anything about University Hall, Northwell or Manor all and its annexes? :smile:

I was in University Hall, which I loved, but I don't know anything about the others. UH has got very laid back vibes, attracts all sorts of people, generally pretty down to earth. In my year there there weren't that many people around later after exams and stuff, but there were a fair few.
Original post by Rowena96
I was in University Hall, which I loved, but I don't know anything about the others. UH has got very laid back vibes, attracts all sorts of people, generally pretty down to earth. In my year there there weren't that many people around later after exams and stuff, but there were a fair few.

How did you find having to get the bus to and from university regularly? Did it influence your involvement in societies or anything like that
Original post by hazel.red.leaf
. Anyway, I guess I'd e-mail them when I make my firm choice.

They won't be the remotest bit interested in talking to you about this now. Wait until you actually walk through the door on day 1.

I wouldn't worry about basing your decision on the tenancy length unless it's for important financial reasons. In the longer tenancies, people tend to leave their rooms early and not use the 42 weeks. On the other hand, shorter tenancies can mean up to 4 weeks in limbo before your second year house contract starts (i.e. it means moving stuff into storage or taking it all home). Pros and cons to each.
Original post by Gladiatorsword
Is bristol 'sort of' a campus uni because most blocks are in 1 place?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't understand the campus/city arguments that some people have over Bristol. Baffles me...

Yes it's a university campus because once you enter the university "area" all the buildings are university owned and all in one place. There are a few others dotted around the edge that are not on the mysterious "campus" but still no more than 5 minutes walk.

No it's not a campus in the sense that there are no gates, security, restricted access etc. It's about a 10 minute (if that) walk to the start of the main shopping area, another 10 mins in a different direction to the harbourside restaurants, 5 mins to park street which is a long road with more shops, restaurants, bars etc and literally right next door to "the triangle" (essentially a huge roundabout in the shape of a triangle with more bars, clubs, restaurants, sainsburys, wilkos etc.). In that sense, people argue it's a city uni.

It's a campus in the middle of a city basically.
How did you find having to get the bus to and from university regularly? Did it influence your involvement in societies or anything like that

Most people aren't fussed about the bus once they get there. Yeah on the downside it can be a bit annoying having to get up that bit earlier to make sure you get the bus in (literally could be a 5 min journey without traffic, can be up to 30 minutes in busy mornings because of traffic despite the journey not being very far at all - lots of people even walk it in mornings as it takes the same amount of time).

Another downside or upside (depending on how you flip it) is that it goes one of two ways: the journey means you stay in uni all day or you don't go to uni at all. Individual work ethic and ability to hack a hangover will decide which you might be.

All in all the bus is actually pretty social. Always quite busy, you'll likely always be on it with someone you know. One of the stops from uni to SB is the sainsburys superstore so its real easy to hop off, walk in to get your shopping and hop back on with all your bags. It doesn't impact society involvement whatsoever. Most of the people I know who run societies now (I'm in 3rd year) were all in stoke bishop.
What are taxi costs like in Bristol?
Are there really loads of rahs at Will's/am I disadvantaged in applying for accommodation there if I haven't gone to a private school? Also, to any mechanical engineers: how heavy is the workload, and do you find enough time to relax (despite that insane looking timetable)? eg. would going out 3-4 times a week in the first year be too much?
Original post by tanyapotter
Are there really loads of rahs at Will's/am I disadvantaged in applying for accommodation there if I haven't gone to a private school?

No, there aren't - and no you won't be.

There is a great deal of mythical cobblers talked about Wills, and Bristol in general, and 'private schools'. Most of it comes from people who have never been to Bristol - and it is utter nonsense.
Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad
What are taxi costs like in Bristol?

We have uber :wink:

Original post by tanyapotter
Are there really loads of rahs at Will's/am I disadvantaged in applying for accommodation there if I haven't gone to a private school? Also, to any mechanical engineers: how heavy is the workload, and do you find enough time to relax (despite that insane looking timetable)? eg. would going out 3-4 times a week in the first year be too much?

Absolutely not, no-one is disadvantaged anywhere by not going to private school.

None of the engineers (of varying disciplines) have a problem, some went out almost every day of the week, so you'd be fine!

Latest

Trending

Trending