The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mathstatician
It's unfortunate that the targets are the targets.

Imperial is male dominated and STEM and very unappealing, Warwick is basically on top of Coventry (yuck), LSE and UCL are in London and probably rather expensive (though I don't really know how students live here relative to elsewhere) and Cambridge is basically a rural town.

My mum wants to go check out some universities this summer with me and so I'm to make a shortlist. Of the targets, Oxford is the only one that seems vaguely interesting. UCL, if cost manageable to have fun as a student, would be great-- but that's a big if. And then we're running into semi-targets already. Bristol is great and a solid choice no matter what. Notts too. Then we run into Manc (low semi-), Edinburgh (Scotland), Bath (eh. I don't know), Durham (again, rural), and Southampton (even a semi?).

Thus, I'm left with a tentative Oxford, UCL(/maybe Bath), Bristol, Nottingham, Manchester and it seems as though I've not given myself much choice here, given a good city experience is pretty important to me.

For maths, not bad choices, but still I wish other universities were more prominently featured.

You should apply to as many targets as possible.

Statistically, you will most likely get rejected from Oxford (and perhaps UCL too depending on what course you're applying for).
Original post by anonwinner
You should apply to as many targets as possible.

Statistically, you will most likely get rejected from Oxford (and perhaps UCL too depending on what course you're applying for).

I'd rather go to a semitarget than warwick or imperial and LSE don't offer maths.

Setting your whole life up for job optimisation is silly.

I have the advantage of knowing I want into IBD very early. A Level insight, spring week in first year, etc. Shouldn't be too much of a problem.
(edited 8 years ago)
Prince will be sad to hear that LinkedIn is discontinuing it's Education bit and therefore the Rankings.

Might be worth making a copy of the list, calling it 2015-2016 University vs Employment in IB and then keeping it here for reference.
Original post by Mathstatician
Prince will be sad to hear that LinkedIn is discontinuing it's Education bit and therefore the Rankings.

Might be worth making a copy of the list, calling it 2015-2016 University vs Employment in IB and then keeping it here for reference.

Nah, there's no need. The same target and semi-target universities will show up, I didn't even need the LinkedIn rankings to suss them out.

Besides, I'll keep tabs on intakes etc once I'm in the thick of the recruitment pipeline.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Proposition: Economics offers a better bang for your buck than other undergraduate degrees, when including the ability to pad with more 'fluff' courses or go quant-heavy if it interests you, ability live a liberal-arts-student lifestyle, and still having good graduate prospects.
Original post by BizzStrut
Proposition: Economics offers a better bang for your buck than other undergraduate degrees, when including the ability to pad with more 'fluff' courses or go quant-heavy if it interests you, ability live a liberal-arts-student lifestyle, and still having good graduate prospects.

Perfectly sensible conclusion. However, I wouldn't say it has the best 'bang for your buck', Engineering would take my vote as the most versatile (career wise) of all degrees.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Perfectly sensible conclusion. However, I wouldn't say it has the best 'bang for your buck', Engineering would take my vote as the most versatile (career wise) of all degrees.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah. Engineering does keep most doors open. But I don't think versatility necessarily equals 'bang for buck'. By using that phrase, I mean it has the lowest leverage point. Engineers have a pretty tough time at uni, with their labs, etc. They do come out with better prospects but my question is "At what cost?"

Then again, I've not really thought this out much. It's just really quiet here right now and so Tsr seemed like a good distraction
Original post by BizzStrut
Ah. Engineering does keep most doors open. But I don't think versatility necessarily equals 'bang for buck'. By using that phrase, I mean it has the lowest leverage point. Engineers have a pretty tough time at uni, with their labs, etc. They do come out with better prospects but my question is "At what cost?"

Then again, I've not really thought this out much. It's just really quiet here right now and so Tsr seemed like a good distraction

"Engineers have a pretty tough time at uni, with their labs and stuff"? Wth does this even mean? :colonhash: People who pick engineering have a real passion for it. Having the freeedom to be both creative and analytical/logical in your approach to work is a virtue, not a chore :smile:
Original post by tanyapotter
"Engineers have a pretty tough time at uni, with their labs and stuff"? Wth does this even mean? :colonhash: People who pick engineering have a real passion for it. Having the freeedom to be both creative and analytical/logical in your approach to work is a virtue, not a chore :smile:

Assuming no passion/calling towards one subject-- which is reasonable as a 17 or 18 year old deciding on what to study-- my characterisation stands.

"engineering is boring" - an engineering student

/discussion
Original post by gr8wizard10

/discussion

I'm sure the majority of engineering students, especially those at the top universities, do very much enjoy their subject.
Original post by Trapz99
I'm sure the majority of engineering students, especially those at the top universities, do very much enjoy their subject.

chances are they're some form of asian and their family forced them to do it

/discussion

Whoever said that engineering is boring was either lying or tripping.

No thats medicine
Original post by Daniel9998
Whoever said that engineering is boring was either lying or tripping.

Original post by Daniel9998
No thats medicine

you'd be surprised

if that's what you enjoy go ahead, my personal opinion, alongside with some friends of mine who do it, is that it is/seems boring

but then all these guys i know chose the ib route, so opinions are likely to be skewed
(edited 7 years ago)
you'd be surprised

if that's what you enjoy go ahead, my personal opinion, alongside with some friends of mine who do it, is that it is/seems boring

but then all these guys i know chose the ib route, so opinions are likely to be skewed

I had an argument with someone's dad once about why their son should do banking instead of medicine. The Asian dad was having none of it. He told me that he wanted his son to do something morally right, not for the money. And then went on to argue that his son should do medicine because it pays well :rolleyes:
Original post by Commercial Paper
I had an argument with someone's dad once about why their son should do banking instead of medicine. The Asian dad was having none of it. He told me that he wanted his son to do something morally right, not for the money. And then went on to argue that his son should do medicine because it pays well :rolleyes:

LOOL.. It doesn't even, not with the NHS anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

there are areas of engineering no one could ever find boring, like mechatronics. maybe they just have a hard time grasping the concepts and are put off.
there are areas of engineering no one could ever find boring, like mechatronics. maybe they just have a hard time grasping the concepts and are put off.

the name itself sounds boring.. the only interesting thing about anything to do with science was using the bunsen burners #FThater
the name itself sounds boring.. the only interesting thing about anything to do with science was using the bunsen burners #FThater

each 2 their own i guess

Latest

Trending

Trending