The Student Room Group

IGCSE English Language Exam on Tuesday 3rd May 2016 Grade Boundaries

Scroll to see replies

Original post by davist
How are you calculating this?

I got 29/30 for S&L and 49/50 for coursework, what do I need for an A*? My teachers told me that I need 26/50 on the exam to get an A*?

You need 28
Original post by sbars123
guys i need ur help. My teacher has been useless and she's hasn't been able to help us with structuring the answers. Could u guys help by telling me where we have to use PEE or whatever for the questions please.

Question 1:
It could come in the following styles:
- Formal Report: reword the three bullet points as subheadings. Formal tone
- Newspaper Report: slightly exaggerated tone, include quotes and the headline given. Use Who? What? When? Where? Why? throughout the whole answer. Still keep some level of formality though.
- Journal - more emotion in this type of writing. Should be given a start line. No need for a sign off.
- Letter - depends on the audience and purpose - if it's a cousin etc. then use a slightly less informal tone (but NO slang), if it's addressed to a company - use a more formal tone. Sign off with Yours sincerely/faithfully or Best wishes, Kind regards etc.
- Speech - directed to the audience - include use of personal pronouns. Level of motivation.
- Magazine Article - similar to newspaper report.

Question 2:

- Need to include four quotes from the text, no longer than 6 words for a quote.
- Quote/literal/figurative - follow this structure when addressing each point.
- Within figurative talk about two quotes that have imagery, and the other two quotes comment on metaphors, personification, pathetic fallacy, sound, structure, semantic field, similes, tone, contrasting words, connotations etc.
- Overview for each section includes TWO key ideas.
- IT IS NOT RELEVANT TO THE WHOLE TEXT.

Question 3:
- Just pick out 15 key points to address.
- Summary should be concise yet not list-like. Use complex and compound sentences. Make sure it's lengthy enough that it flows well.
- Organise your ideas in three different groups, or even two. The groups will usually be given in the question.

Timings:

I would go with -
Q1: 40 - 10 minutes to read, 30 to write
Q2: 25 - roughly 5 minutes to pick out key ideas, then 10 minutes on each part.
Q3: 40 - this is the easiest section to pick up marks. So 25 on finding the 15 points and making sure they are accurate, then 15 on the summary.

This will leave you with 15 minutes to make any adjustments - or finish off any bits you didn't complete.
Reply 22
You have achieved 65 marks out of 80.

To get a C you will need 11 marks in the examination

To get a B you will need 21 marks in the examination

To get a A you will need 31 marks in the examination

To get a A* you will need 41 marks in the examination
Reply 23
it depends on whether you are doing foundation or higher?

on the higher paper you have to get 20 or above marks to actually get a grade as anything below is lower then a D and classed as upgradable
Reply 24
Original post by sbars123
guys i need ur help. My teacher has been useless and she's hasn't been able to help us with structuring the answers. Could u guys help by telling me where we have to use PEE or whatever for the questions please.

its for Q2

Q1 is about the three bullet point
Q2 PEE/ PADDLE
Q3 15 bullet points and summary
Reply 25
If i need 31 marks for a B, How many marks do I need for an A?
Anyone got any predictions of what format q1 could be in tomorrow? Letter, report and speech are ones I've heard from my teacher
Original post by jennxsnow
Anyone got any predictions of what format q1 could be in tomorrow? Letter, report and speech are ones I've heard from my teacher

Dialogue, interview & speech are the ones my teacher predicted

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
Hi Guys thanks for all your replies but I really need some help, i got 52 overall in coursework+S&L, so how many marks in the exam will I need to achieve a grade C. I am really confused on how this all works? I need urgent help. how many marks will i need in the exam to achieve a grade C and bear in mind that the exam is out of 50. please help guys!
Reply 29
You need 24 Marks for a C
Reply 30
Original post by Burkay
You have achieved 65 marks out of 80.

To get a C you will need 11 marks in the examination

To get a B you will need 21 marks in the examination

To get a A you will need 31 marks in the examination

To get a A* you will need 41 marks in the examination

I got 52 overall out of a possible 80 what do i need to achieve a grade C?
Reply 31
Original post by Burkay
You need 24 Marks for a C

are you sure mate? this would be really helpful thank you so much.
Reply 32
Yeah because you will need 76 marks for a C and then it goes in tens.
Reply 33
how do you work this out i am really confused!
Reply 34
Original post by Burkay
Yeah because you will need 76 marks for a C and then it goes in tens.

this is for the extended paper correct?
Reply 35
Yup, when i said 76 marks I mean including coursework which you've got 52 in so 76 - 52 = 24 Marks in exam
Reply 36
Original post by Burkay
Yup

thanks a lot mate you've really helped me out! thank you!
Reply 37
Anytime, And thanks for the badge :d
Reply 38
Original post by Burkay
Yup, when i said 76 marks I mean including coursework which you've got 52 in so 76 - 52 = 24 Marks in exam

this is speaking and listening included
Reply 39
Yeah

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending