The Student Room Group

IGCSE English Language Exam on Tuesday 3rd May 2016 Grade Boundaries

Scroll to see replies

Hey, everyone! Just going to give everyone some advice on the exam (coming from someone who has taken last year's exam with the new Q3)

First of all- I don't think that they'll mark harshly this year. I'm resitting because of the harsh marking actually (I got a overall B, one mark off an A even though I was capable of attaining better than this. My coursework was high A* as well). There were so many complaints about the marking (the THC were investigating the marking last year) that I think that they'll back off this year (well, I hope anyway!)

Just take your time to read both of the texts thoroughly at the start of the exam and manage your time wisely (I would say 40, 30, 40 with some time to check at the end). Remember that content gets you more marks than writing- focus on getting your 15 points down. It's easy marks and it's 30 marks under your belt!

You'll do fine- just take deep breaths and TAKE YOUR TIME! I can't stress this enough. If you rush through and have an hour to spare then you have not answered the questions to your full capacity.

Good luck! Have a good sleep tonight and bring water into the exam room with you. Take deep breaths- you'll smash it! :smile:
Apparently grade boundaries have gone up by 7 marks?
I don't know if it will be of any use but I have already completed my GCSE in this and did really well in coursework and was getting A/A*'s, but somehow didn't do as well in my exam, leading me to a B. So no matter what you get in your coursework it is always best to try your best in your exam and not screw it up like I did, as I was too reliant on my coursework.
Original post by ThePursuitOfAs
Can someone help me out..
I got 29 on the S&L
I got 42 on the CW
So is it impossible for me to get an A*?

You need 36
Original post by sstudyacc
Okay so I'm not particularly sure how to work mine out:

Got 38/40 for the Argumentative + 9/10 for Reading
Then got 36/40 for the Persuasive
And again got 36/40 for the Narrative

For my speaking and listening, I got 23/30 overall..

So I'm not entirely sure how to work out what mark I need to get tomorrow to get an A overall.

Someone help me please :smile:

Also if you want access to Mr Bruff's iGCSE English Language Ebook - then private message me and I'll send you the username and password

Hey i tried the calculation, and I think you need around 40/50 for an A but if the grade boundaries go down i hope, it'll be lower. :smile:
I highly doubt that the A* boundary hasn't changed in the past few years and even if it did change they wouldn't do it that high. In the last few years the marks have only gone up by like 1-3.
hey guys as you know the english igcse are tomorrow. watch the following videos. they help maximise your marks and are really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JY5gxFtjTaw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzavlERYjjg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpvNfsPH64A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EQUVDTZLLY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URIX9zX2-vE

please subscribe as a gesture to the kindness of mr salles who has spent so much time providing free videos.

good luck
the speaking and listening is out of 30 not 25 so im confused
Please can someone give me advice on how to answer Q2? Also, do you have to write Q3 completely in your own words or can you use words from the text? Thanks :smile:
Original post by 1ucyh4nn4h
Please can someone give me advice on how to answer Q2? Also, do you have to write Q3 completely in your own words or can you use words from the text? Thanks :smile:

15 points you can lift from text( note form)

For the summay( which is 5 marks) you must use your own words
How was the exam??
Original post by JakeAntonyBrown
You need 36

Original post by ScienceFantatic
15 points you can lift from text( note form)

For the summay( which is 5 marks) you must use your own words
Original post by CaSama9
How was the exam??

Q3 was brilliant! So nice!

Q1 was okay, Q2 was a bit meh, not much to write about for one of them.
Question 3 was so good:h:

But question 2 was just a bit mEh:s-smilie:
Q3 was ok, Q1 was absolute rubbish, it was too confusing, and also unlike any of the past mock papers. Q2 was alright.
Noo in my opinion, Q1 was good, Q2b was horrible since there were only 2 decent quotes to comment on and Q3a was even worse, I could only find around 8 points about the bees :frown:
Q1 was lovely. Q2 was a nightmare and Q3 was okay but I'm really scared if my points were right. I made at least 3 different point on starvation so im confused. Can someone please share what they wrote for 3a
Original post by Salyhaha
Noo in my opinion, Q1 was good, Q2b was horrible since there were only 2 decent quotes to comment on and Q3a was even worse, I could only find around 8 points about the bees :frown:

I feel exactly the same. Those 15 points ruined it all. And Q2 I don't even want to comment. It was a disaster
What points did you guys make for question 1?
Haha that's exactly how I feel
Original post by JakeAntonyBrown
Q3 was brilliant! So nice!

Q1 was okay, Q2 was a bit meh, not much to write about for one of them.
Original post by CaSama9
Haha that's exactly how I feel

That's how I feel

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending