The Student Room Group

Its bad to say "khan is first Muslim Mayor" because.....

a) He is not a muslim in any meaningful way (eg from Sheria Law to Same Sex Marriage).
b) Many towns in the uK have already had Muslim mayors
c) Saying "First Muslim Mayor" could make muslim propagandists around the world state that london voted in favour of the excesses of islam (eg anti-feminist, anti-gay, anti-mini-skirt, sheria law, anti-beer, blasphemy laws, veils, etc etc).

He should rather had said (which is more honest) I AM A BLAIRITE LIBERAL.
That would be HONEST and IS WHAT THE LABEL STATES.

To bring in "First Muslim Mayor" (hanging on Obama's coat tails) was all wrong on many levels.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
:facepalm: its just a fact, stop taking it so literally.
Reply 2
Original post by mkap
:facepalm: its just a fact, stop taking it so literally.

But so what - why did he make a play of it in the guardian when he started this campaign. You don't get Cameron mentioning "I'm c Of e" at election time (at least not on the front page).
Reply 3
Original post by FredOrJohn
a) He is not a muslim in any meaningful way (eg from Sheria Law to Same Sex Marriage).
c) Saying "First Muslim Mayor" could make muslim propagandists around the world state that london voted in favour of the excesses of islam (eg anti-feminist, anti-gay, anti-mini-skirt, sheria law, anti-beer, blasphemy laws, veils, etc etc).

To bring in "First Muslim Mayor" (hanging on Obama's coat tails) was all wrong on many levels.

Nothing about his manifesto is exclusively Islamic, therefore him being a Muslim isn't that important. However, it should also be noted that calling him a Muslim is a way of showing that Londoners have risen above discrimination based on creed and faith. It's like saying Obama is the first Black president of America, even though nothing about his manifesto is trademarkingly* black.

*Is that a word? Can anyone think of a better word to use in this context?
Reply 4
But so what - why did he make a play of it in the guardian when he started this campaign. You don't get Cameron mentioning "I'm c Of e" at election time (at least not on the front page).

lol when newspapers are bringing out the Muslim for a person when theyre a peado or criminal people dont be complaining then, only now when its used for a different reason like politics. double standard right there.
Reply 5
I AM A BLAIRITE LIBERAL.
T

:angry:

Don't they use the term 'moderate Muslim'? Are you suggesting there is one strict definition of what it is to be Muslim? Did you write that definition?
Reply 7
Original post by ByEeek
Don't they use the term 'moderate Muslim'? Are you suggesting there is one strict definition of what it is to be Muslim? Did you write that definition?

He was "ex-communicated" by various mosques for voting in favour of "same sex marriage"....

Thus playing the "Muslim" Obama type card is a bit much - come on? You must know I do have a bit of a point here.

Obama is definitely black but Khan is not definitely a muslim. Ambiguous at best.
He was "ex-communicated" by various mosques for voting in favour of "same sex marriage"....

Thus playing the "Muslim" Obama type card is a bit much - come on? You must know I do have a bit of a point here.

Obama is definitely black but Khan is not definitely a muslim. Ambiguous at best.

That's the no true scotsman fallacy. There isn't a set criterion for being Muslim, so although you may think someone doesn't belong to a particular group, you are no authority.
Reply 9
Original post by High Stakes
That's the no true scotsman fallacy. There isn't a set criterion for being Muslim, so although you may think someone doesn't belong to a particular group, you are no authority.

No but nor is he.

Unless he OBVIOUSLY is a Muslim like Ruth Davidson OBVIOUSLY is gay then I don't think he should play that card. Ruth can play the "gay card" because she OBVIOUSLY is gay. Khan has been "ex-communicated" by various groups so he is not obviously muslim. I could also say I was the first "Muslim FredOrJohn" - it would just be nonsense. Khan is a Liberal Blairite. That is the card that he should have honestly played and I would have respected him a great deal more.
Your point was good, your justification is terrible
>because.....
Original post by oShahpo
Nothing about his manifesto is exclusively Islamic, therefore him being a Muslim isn't that important. However, it should also be noted that calling him a Muslim is a way of showing that Londoners have risen above discrimination based on creed and faith. It's like saying Obama is the first Black president of America, even though nothing about his manifesto is trademarkingly* black.

*Is that a word? Can anyone think of a better word to use in this context?

Even though only a minority of European Americans voted for Obama while a majority of Black and Asian Americans voted for Obama.
Original post by CarlTheCuck
>because.....

Answer to the universe right there.
Reply 14

He says he is Muslim, so we must assume that he is Muslim. Otherwise, it would mean that ISIS supporters are not Muslim as well.

My guess is that he has left the religion but doesn't say it for electoral purpose. It's however impossible to know that.
Why's Obama gettin mentioned right now
Original post by Josb
He says he is Muslim, so we must assume that he is Muslim. Otherwise, it would mean that ISIS supporters are not Muslim as well.

My guess is that he has left the religion but doesn't say it for electoral purpose. It's however impossible to know that.

I've heard some aren't though

So there is no single Christian left outside the American far right, the KKK and the like?

And Khan as Mayor will do more to eradicate any alienation and extremism in the UK than any counter-terrorism government policy.
who is KHAN :s-smilie:
If he's a Blairite liberal why have the Tories been banging on about him being "Corbyn's man" and making Londoners "lab rats in a dangerous Corbynite experiment" lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending