The Student Room Group

What are my chances at uni?

Henlo
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
Your GCSE's are fine for both med schools I believe (double check though). There isn't really TOO much weight on your GCSE's, as long as you mee their minimum requirement (I thin kthe only one that has a high GCSE requirement is birmingham? not sure).
A level grades are good too. You meet the minimum grade requirements and most universities don't bother with grades once you meet the grade cut off.

What you need to do is have a kick ass personal statement (make sure you explain why you're interested- doesn't need to be profound life changing event etc, jsut say why, but make sure you have shown you're fully informed about what it is doctors do and how you fit that role).

And lastly is the entrance exams, Barts is UKCAT, UCL is BMAT, once you meet their cut off's its all up to the interview
Reply 2
Original post by Freyr
Your GCSE's are fine for both med schools I believe (double check though). There isn't really TOO much weight on your GCSE's, as long as you mee their minimum requirement (I thin kthe only one that has a high GCSE requirement is birmingham? not sure).
A level grades are good too. You meet the minimum grade requirements and most universities don't bother with grades once you meet the grade cut off.

What you need to do is have a kick ass personal statement (make sure you explain why you're interested- doesn't need to be profound life changing event etc, jsut say why, but make sure you have shown you're fully informed about what it is doctors do and how you fit that role).

And lastly is the entrance exams, Barts is UKCAT, UCL is BMAT, once you meet their cut off's its all up to the interview

This person's right your GCSEs are fine for most universities except Birmingham, Cardiff and Oxford.
Other than that GCSEs aren't that big a deciding factor. One of the main factors will be UKCAT and BMAT

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by frueky
I'm keen to apply to Queen Mary's or UCL as two of my university options for studying medicine, but I'm not sure if my grades are up to par...

For GCSE, I got 5A*'s, 6A's and 1B; but for A Level, I managed to get 3A*'s and 1A

Medicine appears that it's so competitive that is seems GCSE's are basically the decider, despite not reading any requirements for GCSE grades on most university websites. But from what I've seen on other forums, students are expected to get straight A*'s, which I clearly haven't gotten.

Hello,

As everyone has said above, your GCSEs certainly are above the minimum requirements for most UK medical schools.

Plus, your AS levels are really good! If you want to check the entry requirments for every university, have a look at our Medical School Comparison Tool. Just as an example, UCL's GCSE requirments are as follows:

"All UK candidates, or those who have received their secondary education in the UK, must offer GCSE (or IGCSE, O-level, IB or EB equivalent) at grade B or above in both English Language and Mathematics. UCL expects all UK applicants to offer a modern foreign language (not including Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew or Latin) at GCSE grade C or equivalent. This requirement does not apply to international students. Candidates can be admitted if they do not offer a foreign language GCSE (and their application will not be disadvantaged), but they would be obliged to take a language course during their first year".

If you want to succeed in your application to UCL (for example) you have to really master the BMAT. UCL don't use a BMAT cut-off, but they certainly consider your academic grades and BMAT scores together to rank applicants, and select those for interview. Then, your BMAT section 3 essay will be used in the interview.

For now, focus on getting amazing A2 grades! But as soon as you've had a little break after the stress of exams, get on the UKCAT revision, and then BMAT revision!

The Medic Portal

p.s. if you also want to see how every medical school is considering AS levels for 2016/2017 applications, see our AS levels admissions policy updates table here.
Reply 4
Original post by The Medic Portal
Hello,

As everyone has said above, your GCSEs certainly are above the minimum requirements for most UK medical schools.

Plus, your AS levels are really good! If you want to check the entry requirments for every university, have a look at our Medical School Comparison Tool. Just as an example, UCL's GCSE requirments are as follows:

"All UK candidates, or those who have received their secondary education in the UK, must offer GCSE (or IGCSE, O-level, IB or EB equivalent) at grade B or above in both English Language and Mathematics. UCL expects all UK applicants to offer a modern foreign language (not including Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew or Latin) at GCSE grade C or equivalent. This requirement does not apply to international students. Candidates can be admitted if they do not offer a foreign language GCSE (and their application will not be disadvantaged), but they would be obliged to take a language course during their first year".

If you want to succeed in your application to UCL (for example) you have to really master the BMAT. UCL don't use a BMAT cut-off, but they certainly consider your academic grades and BMAT scores together to rank applicants, and select those for interview. Then, your BMAT section 3 essay will be used in the interview.

For now, focus on getting amazing A2 grades! But as soon as you've had a little break after the stress of exams, get on the UKCAT revision, and then BMAT revision!

The Medic Portal

p.s. if you also want to see how every medical school is considering AS levels for 2016/2017 applications, see our AS levels admissions policy updates table here.

I'm a UK based student, but I'm not English myself. I can speak French, Arabic and German fluently (and English, of course), but have no qualification - do this rule still apply to British-foreign students like me?
Reply 5
Original post by frueky
I'm a UK based student, but I'm not English myself. I can speak French, Arabic and German fluently (and English, of course), but have no qualification - do this rule still apply to British-foreign students like me?

You might need to do something like IELETS I think. Not sure what it's called though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by frueky

Hello,

We would recommend you phone up UCL admissions office just to double check. It most likely will not negatively affect your application, but to be on the safe side, try this number here:

++44 (0)20 3108 8228

Or

++44 (0)20 3108 8235

We hope this helps,

The Medic Portal

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending