The Student Room Group

I don't know where to turn. Help me, please.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 999tigger
Bits of this have been pointed out, but its hard to say unless you look at whats been done or read the examiners report.

I suppose, but we can gain bits of knowledge from what she's said. Rather, I think she probably wants to vent out her frustration, but unfortunately, I don't have much sympathy for someone, who simply memorises someone else's work.
Original post by 1jonam16
I suppose, but we can gain bits of knowledge from what she's said. Rather, I think she probably wants to vent out her frustration, but unfortunately, I don't have much sympathy for someone, who simply memorises someone else's work.

You dont know thats what she has done. If youve just copied big chunks of text, then it would be obvious. Anyway she wasnt dodging responsibility from being wrong (it cant be dodged) just felt that if there had been a lesson early on then it was a needless mistake that could have been avoided.

Not even sure I ever got any formal lessons, just told to use a bibliography and reference direct quotes etc. I didnt leave school at 13 though.

As said before for the OP she is best focusing on exams and staying off the forums until after.
Tbf she should know better than to copy other people's work, regardless of whether she knew what it meant or not, the task must've specified that you need to make a unique response, which in her case, wouldn't be formed.

No specification was made, except: Read the book and write a 1200 words essay. Topic: Explore how Steinbeck presents social issues in Of Mice and Men. Our GCSE courses are run four hours per week for 30 weeks only. Everything is condensed and rushed. Believe me. I didn't realise that using samples of others works, sources and references were wrong. I thought only copying the entire the work of someone else, word per word was wrong. Not all my essay was taken from my search. I kept a folder of copies of all my research and of what I used. I am not trying to vent my frustration and sick attention. I am not appealing against the decision to remove my marks. I am complaining to my College to ensure this incident will not happen again in the future.
I'd try to keep my head up, there's no way you should even consider giving up this early in your (academic) life. I can't begin to understand how it would feel to have poured your heart into something and work so hard yet only to find out that not only is it credible but deemed and someone elses work and you are deemed a plagiarist when you have nothing in common with one. The embarrassment would be bad enough but the 0 credit compounds it. But dont let it affect your future ventures, it may feel as though aqa are holding you back but this is one obstacle in one subject and if you push hard enough you can still hit the high grades. Believe in yourself, although it is unfair that you should be subject to this so early in your education (if at all) hence why I think you're finding it hard to get your head around it. Things will work out if you persevere, regardless of path you choose, although in this case it may to best to leave the past be and move on, getting too hung up may affect future prospects and you dont want that. Yet I can also see why you'd pursue things to try and find closure as well as see if there are any marks to be gained. It shows you still are interested in pursuing your education, even if it's elsewhere. But regardless of what you choose, I'm sure you can do it. And considering the essay that was your original post, I'm sure you didn't intend to plagiarise, but if that's how aqa see it, well like I said it's your decision
(edited 7 years ago)
You dont know thats what she has done. If youve just copied big chunks of text, then it would be obvious. Anyway she wasnt dodging responsibility from being wrong (it cant be dodged) just felt that if there had been a lesson early on then it was a needless mistake that could have been avoided.

Not even sure I ever got any formal lessons, just told to use a bibliography and reference direct quotes etc. I didnt leave school at 13 though.

As said before for the OP she is best focusing on exams and staying off the forums until after.

It's common practice to quote a few words though and then add a reference to a bibliography at the end. Not that hard and it should be known at GCSE level, especially for English (I'm sure OP, when reading these research articles, would have stumbled across these, making it hard to forget either).
It's common practice to quote a few words though and then add a reference to a bibliography at the end. Not that hard and it should be known at GCSE level, especially for English (I'm sure OP, when reading these research articles, would have stumbled across these, making it hard to forget either).

As I have already explained, I left school at 13, and I am 45 years old. I became a professional gardener twenty years ago. I did not speak English when I arrived in London at twenty. All I learned about the English Language was from ESOL Basic to Higher intermediate classes, twenty-five years ago. Those courses did not involve essay writing. I self-taught myself English. I became addicted to crosswords.

I applied for GCSE English last year. I did a writing assessment, and I found myself accepted to attend the GCSE English Language course. I wasn't asked if I could write fictional or non-fictional essays. I have never written an essay about a book before this course.

I apologise if you find this impossible to believe in 2016. However, it is the truth.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Michelle-Annie
As I have already explained, I left school at 13, and I am 45 years old. I became a professional gardener twenty years ago. I did not speak English when I arrived in London at twenty. All I learned about the English Language was from ESOL Basic to Higher intermediate classes, twenty-five years ago. Those courses did not involve essay writing. I self-taught myself English. I became addicted to crosswords.

I applied for GCSE English last year. I did a writing assessment, and I found myself accepted to attend the GCSE English Language course. I wasn't asked if I could write fictional or non-fictional essays. I have never written an essay about a book before this course.

I apologise if you find this impossible to believe in 2016. However, it is the truth.

I guess I'll have to believe you then. Why not, just retake the course next year, then? Unless you need the GCSE for some sort of job. Hopefully, someone can then help you make it better.
Apology my mobile is messing up.
(edited 7 years ago)
I guess I'll have to believe you then. Why not, just retake the course next year, then? Unless you need the GCSE for some sort of job. Hopefully, someone can then help you make it better.

Thank you. I won't need to retake the course. I can still succeed despite getting no mark for one controlled assessment. I worked extremely hard, studying at home an average fourteen hours per week just for the English class. Plus, I passed my foundation and higher mock exams. Although, I won't achieve an A+ anymore. I can still get minimum C medium to A.
Concerning my sanction, all I want is for the college to acknowledge what happened and to prevent it from happening again. I was ill prepared. I missed out on some fundamental elements. I self-taught myself a great deal. However, I did not look at regulations.
My new career orientation was only planned last summer. I never thought of a Degree In Law before. My daughter's Children Centre recommended it to me because of my ability to defend myself and to advise others against some government departments, such as landlords, their contractors, social services, etc. It is a good lesson for me to have learnt via the major mistake I have made. I am moving on. I only want assurance it won't happen to another 'self-taught' student like me in the future.
Have a beautiful day.
(edited 7 years ago)
Thank you. I won't need to retake the course. I can still succeed despite getting no mark for one controlled assessment. I worked extremely hard, studying at home an average forteen hours per week just for the English class. Plus, I passed my foundation and higher mock exams. Although, I won't achieve a A+ anymore. I can still get minimum C medium to A.
Concerning my sanction, all I want is for the college to acknowledge what happened and to prevent it from happening again. I was ill prepared. I missed out on some fundamental elements. I self taught myself a great deal. However, I did not look at regulations.
My new carreer orientation was only planned last summer. I never thought of a Degree In Law before. My daughter's Children Centre recommended it to me because of my ability to defend myself and to advice others against some government departments, such as landlords, their contractors, social services etc. It is a good lesson for me to have learnt via the major mistake I have made. I am moving on. I only want assurance it won't happen to another self taught student like me in the furure.
Have a nice day.

Ahh, sorry to hear. I'm sure you'll do well then, with your work ethic. :smile:
I did make this point earlier on. I would have made a special attempt to explain about plagiarism. On marking the papers it must have seemed odd to have no references at all? That should have raised alarm bells for the teacher as they also have to make declarations of their own about believing it is the pupils own work.

From what I know, the part the teacher signs is that to their knowledge the work is the student's. My issue is that if AQA spotted that the work was plagiarised, it must have been obvious and thus the teacher and whoever moderated it should also have noticed?
Original post by SHABANA
From what I know, the part the teacher signs is that to their knowledge the work is the student's. My issue is that if AQA spotted that the work was plagiarised, it must have been obvious and thus the teacher and whoever moderated it should also have noticed?

My Controlled Assessment was seen by three teachers and the English Programme Manager. My Controlled Assessment was marked then moderated. Before moderation, it was viewed by the English Programme Manager, the same person who called me in with the AQA report for plagiarism. I asked her how come none of all the people who consulted my controlled assessment noticed plagiarism and she told me: 'How would they know?'
My Controlled Assessment was seen by three teachers and the English Programme Manager. My Controlled Assessment was marked then moderated. Before moderation, it was viewed by the English Programme Manager, the same person who called me in with the AQA report for plagiarism. I asked her how come none of all the people who consulted my controlled assessment noticed plagiarism and she told me: 'How would they know?'

Who was it moderated by? Was this internal, or was it sent somewhere?
Original post by SHABANA
Who was it moderated by? Was this internal, or was it sent somewhere?

After I submitted my controlled assessment, last autumn, I was given 23 marks. Because of the time I spent doing researches and the amount of data I provided, I assumed I should have had more marks. Consequently, I had a meeting with the English Programme Manager and told her I was expecting a higher mark after all the work I did. Thereafter, my essay was moderated internally and I was allocated an extra mark: 24/30.
Therefore, my essay draft was seen by my teacher, then another who first marked it, then the programme mannager, and finally another teacher who moderated it, before AQA requested the controlled assessments of some of my fellow students and mine for their own moderation.
I really do not understand how my college did not notice that I didn't understand what I should have done with this assessment. I told so many people about the amount of research I did. They saw my research folder.
I am gutted because if I had been told in advance that I was not doing my assessment the right way, I could have been given the chance to redo it and earn some marks.
I earned 18/20, 17/20, 17/20 and 43/45 for all my other materials. None of my creative writing essays showed plagiarism.
I collected my plagiarism report yesterday. I lost my marks because out of 1250 words, 27% was taken from a student paper published on the internet. Plus, several 1%, 2%, 3% and 6% from published materials I didn't gave my sources for. Total similarity index 57%!
Reply 94

I earned 18/20, 17/20, 17/20 and 43/45 for all my other materials. None of my creative writing essays showed plagiarism.
I collected my plagiarism report yesterday. I lost my marks because out of 1250 words, 27% was taken from a student paper published on the internet. Plus, several 1%, 2%, 3% and 6% from published materials I didn't gave my sources for. Total similarity index 57%!

You do realise that is a ridiculously high similarity index! Did you copy sources in your other materials? Because you are very lucky they havent failed you on the course if thats the case.

Quick Reply

Latest