The Student Room Group

I failed my English exam :(

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sherlockfan
It's neither of those. I am slow to think and come up with ideas to write. When I got stuck on something I did move on, or else I wouldn't have got anything done at all. In English there isn't one set answer.
I did practice properly, tried to do past papers like everyone else. I didn't revise as much as I should have because of lack of concentration.

Then its the third option in that you arent allowed enough time, but you will need medical evidence or support to justify you getting any more.

When you do the resit you need to maximise your chances by understanding what your limitations/ handicaps are and then working out as best as possible how to give yourself the best chance in the exam, It might be your approach, it might be understanding, it might be unfamiliarity. Just prepare and then retake. Use your teacher or if you have SEN support then make sure you get support to lead you through the bits that are stopping you.
Original post by 999tigger
Then its the third option in that you arent allowed enough time, but you will need medical evidence or support to justify you getting any more.

When you do the resit you need to maximise your chances by understanding what your limitations/ handicaps are and then working out as best as possible how to give yourself the best chance in the exam, It might be your approach, it might be understanding, it might be unfamiliarity. Just prepare and then retake. Use your teacher or if you have SEN support then make sure you get support to lead you through the bits that are stopping you.

I already had extra time, I don't think they'd give me more. Funny thing is if I was allowed to take it home and do it in my own time I'd probably do quite well. I got top marks in all my coursework and even got 57 out of 80 in one of my mocks.
I already had extra time, I don't think they'd give me more. Funny thing is if I was allowed to take it home and do it in my own time I'd probably do quite well. I got top marks in all my coursework and even got 57 out of 80 in one of my mocks.

You need to talk to your teacher and learn from this exam. If you have other exams then you need to put this to one side. You cna retake it, dont worry, but if there are areas to improve, then you need to.
Reply 23
To be blunt, a lot of people could ace the exam if given unlimited time at home. The purpose of exams is to provide a pressurised deadline for you to meet - that way when you say you got your A in English an employer knows you are capable of both using English effectively and doing it to a deadline.

Absolutely try and get extra time if you can. Just remember the time limits (though frustrating!) are there for a reason.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JustJen
To be blunt, a lot of people could ace the exam if given unlimited time at home. The purpose of exams is to provide a pressurised deadline for you to meet - that way when you say you got your A in English an employer knows you are capable of both using English effectively and doing it to a deadline.

Absolutely try and get extra time if you can. Just remember the time limits (though frustrating!) are there for a reason.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Employers don't ask someone to write an article in 30 minutes. That's completely unrealistic.
I already had extra time.
You need to talk to your teacher and learn from this exam. If you have other exams then you need to put this to one side. You cna retake it, dont worry, but if there are areas to improve, then you need to.

I studied at an adult college and I'm not sure they offer retakes. I emailed them to ask but I don't know if it's worth it.
Reply 26
No but they give you deadlines. They want emails spelled correctly, well structured and fit for purpose. And usually written quicker than 30 minutes.

You seem to be talking yourself in circles - either you get more time for your needs (as you already have) or learn to use your time more appropriately to pass the exam. There is no option C.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JustJen
No but they give you deadlines. They want emails spelled correctly, well structured and fit for purpose. And usually written quicker than 30 minutes.

You seem to be talking yourself in circles - either you get more time for your needs (as you already have) or learn to use your time more appropriately to pass the exam. There is no option C.

Posted from TSR Mobile

*spelt correctly.

Or I just accept my failure and move on.
(edited 7 years ago)
I studied at an adult college and I'm not sure they offer retakes. I emailed them to ask but I don't know if it's worth it.

If you dont have English language, then it along with maths tends to prove useful to have. I would say if you felt it was just the exam, then you definitely get better with practice.
Reply 29
Spelled is acceptable. It's an irregular verb with both spellings widely accepted. Spelt is more antiquated though still correct.

I'm an English teacher and as you seem dead set against listening to advice from someone who marks these exams regularly I will stop

Good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks but having a slow brain due to illness isn't something I can work on. Its not going to improve.
I just hope the examiners are sympathetic. I'd have to pay a fortune to retake.

At least you have your coursework to fall back on. That should bring up your final grade.
Oh no! I hope it does get better but it's not the end of the world. You can do anything you set your mind to. The power of the human mind is incredible once you stop constraining it. :smile:
Original post by Ara8311a
At least you have your coursework to fall back on. That should bring up your final grade.
Oh no! I hope it does get better but it's not the end of the world. You can do anything you set your mind to. The power of the human mind is incredible once you stop constraining it. :smile:

It's not me constraining my mind, it's an illness. My mind is broken. Thanks for being supportive though. I had thought of going to study at the OU next year but I don't see that happening now. I'd forgotten how tough it was and I'm not made for education. It's a good thing I realised it sooner rather than later!
If you dont have English language, then it along with maths tends to prove useful to have. I would say if you felt it was just the exam, then you definitely get better with practice.

I'm a mature student though. I have a certificate of secondary education but it's from Spain. I even have a few A levels. My life isn't going to suffer considerably for not having an English GCSE.
I'm a mature student though. I have a certificate of secondary education but it's from Spain. I even have a few A levels. My life isn't going to suffer considerably for not having an English GCSE.

Not sure what the point of your thread is then?
If you failed you can retake it.
If they have assessed you correctly then you have all the time you will get and you have to work on making the most of it despite any handicap.
In the UK you often get asked fro 5 GCSE's inluding Maths and English, but if you dont think you need it, then obviously you dont.
The only other reason i would then retake would be to achieve or prove that i could pass.

The discussion is quite circular.
Not sure what the point of your thread is then?
If you failed you can retake it.
If they have assessed you correctly then you have all the time you will get and you have to work on making the most of it despite any handicap.
In the UK you often get asked fro 5 GCSE's inluding Maths and English, but if you dont think you need it, then obviously you dont.
The only other reason i would then retake would be to achieve or prove that i could pass.

The discussion is quite circular.

Can I retake just the exam or do I have to sit through all the controls assessments as well? If the latter then it won't be worth it. If I only have to do the exam again I might consider it.
For the record I haven't seen any job descriptions that ask for 5 GCSEs. Ever.
(edited 7 years ago)
Can I retake just the exam or do I have to sit through all the controls assessments as well? If the latter then it won't be worth it. If I only have to do the exam again I might consider it.

No idea of the exam board. You can most likely just retake the exam. Talk to your college. If you intend to get a job in the UK then I would say resit.
No idea of the exam board. You can most likely just retake the exam. Talk to your college. If you intend to get a job in the UK then I would say resit.

I have a job actually but thanks.
I have a job actually but thanks.

No worries i should have given up ages ago.
Reply 38
I know your main purpose of this thread is far from catching sympathy voters. But can I just say that I totally empathise with your situation and I understand how difficult it must be to have an intelligent mind but a processing barrier which to examiners will completely disguise your capabilities.

Please forgive me if I'm being too personal here, however would you mind disclosing the exact medical terminology for the disability you have? You may PM me if you wish for your own privacy, but I strongly feel as though I could help you greatly if I know the specific condition concerned.

I wish you the best of luck with your studies. :smile:
Original post by I <3 WORK
I know your main purpose of this thread is far from catching sympathy voters. But can I just say that I totally empathise with your situation and I understand how difficult it must be to have an intelligent mind but a processing barrier which to examiners will completely disguise your capabilities.

Please forgive me if I'm being too personal here, however would you mind disclosing the exact medical terminology for the disability you have? You may PM me if you wish for your own privacy, but I strongly feel as though I could help you greatly if I know the specific condition concerned.

I wish you the best of luck with your studies. :smile:

Thanks for your support.
I have depression and the meds I'm on don't help. I'm not that intelligent anyway but now I can't concentrate at all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending