The Student Room Group

Scrapping UMS

I'm not sure what's actually going on but Ofqual say that there will be no UMS scale for reformed A levels. https://ofqual.blog.gov.uk/2015/08/14/a-level-awarding-in-2016-and-2017/
Can someone clarify how grade boundaries will be set and how A level predictions will be made. My school have said nothing about this so not too sure what's going on.
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Puddles the Monkey so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

Original post by Cookiemonster057
I'm not sure what's actually going on but Ofqual say that there will be no UMS scale for reformed A levels. https://ofqual.blog.gov.uk/2015/08/14/a-level-awarding-in-2016-and-2017/
Can someone clarify how grade boundaries will be set and how A level predictions will be made. My school have said nothing about this so not too sure what's going on.

You don't need ums for linear exams. They are a way to standardise results that can come from combining modular unit exams taken at different times and that can vary in difficulty.

Just as they meet to decide the boundaries to convert raw marks to ums currently, they will meet to analyse results and set raw mark to qualification grade boundaries for the new linear exams. As well as looking at the difficulty of each paper, they will decide the overall total mark needed to be awarded a specific grade. These will vary from year to year to maintain standards over time.

A level predictions are guesses made by teachers based on their experience, their knowledge of you and your performance in class, in progress checks and in internal exams and maybe in AS exams IF your school does them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by gdunne42
You don't need ums for linear exams. They are a way to standardise results that can come from combining modular unit exams taken at different times and that can vary in difficulty.

What about how it was also used to compare results across exam boards? Is that ability now gone?
Original post by Abstract_Prism
What about how it was also used to compare results across exam boards? Is that ability now gone?

The regulators have vast quantities of data from the examiners to enable them to compare results and verify that equivalent standards are met. Students will have access to raw mark grade boundaries if they find them a useful way to compare the relative difficulty of different examiners.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest