The Student Room Group

I failed my English exam :(

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Platopus
I've just spent this morning crying my heart out over this. So, I'm sorry but I just can't face the prospect of going through it again. I'll take what I can get in clearing.

If you havent finished your exams, then focus on the ones left.

See what you get. You do not know.

If its below your potential, do not rule out resiiting. At the moment you are emotional and stressed, which isnt the best frame of mind to make importnat decisions.

By all means see what clearing throws up when you get your results and then make an informed decision.

Sorry to hear its not going as you had hoped.
I got a C in one of my modules then maximum marks on the retake, just revise properly and manage your time.
Original post by 999tigger
If you havent finished your exams, then focus on the ones left.

See what you get. You do not know.

If its below your potential, do not rule out resiiting. At the moment you are emotional and stressed, which isnt the best frame of mind to make importnat decisions.

By all means see what clearing throws up when you get your results and then make an informed decision.

Sorry to hear its not going as you had hoped.

Thanks for your support. I suppose you are right. I am alternating between feeling numb and as though my heart is being ripped out of my chest. So, I'm probably not in a good place to make any rational decisions now.
Thanks for your support. I suppose you are right. I am alternating between feeling numb and as though my heart is being ripped out of my chest. So, I'm probably not in a good place to make any rational decisions now.

I am right. Feel free to PM me if you want a moan.

Finish your exams, then have a rest and we can talk through the options after.

Worrying and stressing isnt in your interests at the moment.
I am right. Feel free to PM me if you want a moan.

Finish your exams, then have a rest and we can talk through the options after.

Worrying and stressing isnt in your interests at the moment.

You are way too kind, thank you x
Reply 65
I know how you feel and it's a horrible feeling. I'm 99.9% sure I failed my last two A-level exams (issues with misreading the title of essay questions) and if I have I will have "wasted" the last two years of my life. But, I've decided that I need to try and move on, at least for now because there's really nothing else I can do.

Depending what subject, I know that for most essays the mark scheme is broken down and, for example with English Lit, response to task (answering the question) is only representative of a small amount of marks. To be honest the mark scheme technically doesn't require you to answer the question at all! This is particularly true of the English Literature GCSE... Don't get me wrong, it might have some impact. But you certainly won't fail if it's a case if slightly misreading a question.
You are way too kind, thank you x

No worries. You have good manners, which stand out. I cna help you think things through and give you the options plus an opinion. At the moment the common sense thing to do is try your best for the rest of the exams.

Deal with the rest after.
Original post by JustJen
Depending what subject, I know that for most essays the mark scheme is broken down and, for example with English Lit, response to task (answering the question) is only representative of a small amount of marks. To be honest the mark scheme technically doesn't require you to answer the question at all! This is particularly true of the English Literature GCSE... Don't get me wrong, it might have some impact. But you certainly won't fail if it's a case if slightly misreading a question.

That's so nice of you, thanks. I'm worrying about my History and Philosophy A level exams though which unfortunately do require you to answer the question! :frown:

No worries. You have good manners, which stand out. I cna help you think things through and give you the options plus an opinion. At the moment the common sense thing to do is try your best for the rest of the exams.

Deal with the rest after.

That's so lovely, thanks again. I've only got English lit left so I will do as you say and push on.
Obviously pace yourself and focus on answering the question. Dont be afraid to have an opinion. You should know the techniques you need to construct your answers by now. Worrying is just a distraction. Gl anyway.
I don't think resitting the exam will do me much good as I'll still have the same problems, I already had extra time and I still couldn't do it.
I guess I'll be working as a cashier for a while :frown:
I've just been told that my college doesn't do resits. :/
Apparently I got an A... Still don't know how...
Original post by sherlockfan

So wait, did you get an A overall or on a unit? On the 3 units I did, I got ABC. I'm surprised your college won't let you resit. I'd speak to UCAS or the exam board.
Original post by David_Roxx
So wait, did you get an A overall or on a unit? On the 3 units I did, I got ABC. I'm surprised your college won't let you resit. I'd speak to UCAS or the exam board.

It just gives me an overall grade, there's nothing about units. Just an A and then five in speaking and listening.

Amazing! Congrats :smile:
Original post by trabajadora
Amazing! Congrats :smile:

Thank you, though I still don't know why the coursework unit isn't in there...Tried to speak to the English department in my college but they're all on holiday.
I only finished questions 6 and 4, the others I half answered and question 3 I left in blank completely.

I get extra time but I couldn't finish the exam
:frown:

I'm a mature student. Can I retake??

I'm sure u can 're take again is fine because I done mine 3 years ago. I don't know anything about the new exam system can u please tell me was the exam u did difficult? And are u graded based on numbers?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending