The Student Room Group

MBiolSci or MRes for PhD?

Hey :smile:

I was wondering if a MRes would be much more favourable over the 4 year integrated masters (MBiolSci) when applying for a PhD? I'll be starting my third year of a BSc Biological Sciences degree in September and I'll be able to transfer to the four year course quite easily, however obviously I'd need to apply for the MRes. Is there really much of a difference?

Original post by Changing Skies

Not much difference, and have you looked into the finances? Chances are you can use a 4th year of student loans to fund the MBiolSci, whereas you'd have to find funding/self fund the MRes.
Reply 2
Original post by threeportdrift
Not much difference, and have you looked into the finances? Chances are you can use a 4th year of student loans to fund the MBiolSci, whereas you'd have to find funding/self fund the MRes.

Can also use the new postgraduate student loans to fund MRes.
Original post by threeportdrift

Original post by Mliz
Can also use the new postgraduate student loans to fund MRes.

Yeah, I doubt I'd consider anything other than the integrated masters if there weren't loans available for postgraduate courses now. I'm learning towards the MRes at the moment anyway :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Academically it doesn't matter as both will give you a research component.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending