The Student Room Group

Dealing with failure (need advice)

Yesterday I had my philosophy exam. It's safe to say, I definitely won't be getting the A/A* I wanted because during the first paper I had one of my 'freakouts', I'm in the small hall for anxiety reasons already and most of my other exams have gone reasonably okay, considering. I have no idea what came over me and it astounds me of all exams I was set off by philosophy.

It's not the first exam I won't get the grade I want though; my English Literature exam went balls up and I had a panic at the start, thats been filed though as it was triggered through no fault of my own. I was meant to get an A in that subject too...

I guess what i'm asking for is advice on dealing with the failure. I feel like i've let people down, predominantly myself. I know I can't change what's happened but I felt like I needed to sorta vent and ask for some tips on how to not think about it or how to rationally deal with the inevitability of not getting the results.

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

The only person that matters is you.
If you tried your best , then thats good enough.

There's a simple answer , which is just resit and for goodness sake dont beat yourself up if everything doesn't go to plan. Learn from it and improve.

If you lost your leg, that would be a biggy, underpeforming in a few GCSE's is not. You dont even have the results yet.
Reply 2
Original post by Gail_Platt
Yesterday I had my philosophy exam. It's safe to say, I definitely won't be getting the A/A* I wanted because during the first paper I had one of my 'freakouts', I'm in the small hall for anxiety reasons already and most of my other exams have gone reasonably okay, considering. I have no idea what came over me and it astounds me of all exams I was set off by philosophy.

It's not the first exam I won't get the grade I want though; my English Literature exam went balls up and I had a panic at the start, thats been filed though as it was triggered through no fault of my own. I was meant to get an A in that subject too...

I guess what i'm asking for is advice on dealing with the failure. I feel like i've let people down, predominantly myself. I know I can't change what's happened but I felt like I needed to sorta vent and ask for some tips on how to not think about it or how to rationally deal with the inevitability of not getting the results.

Thanks.

Hi!

I'm sorry to hear what has happened :frown: A similar thing happened to me too with English Lit a few weeks ago. I totally freaked out in both of the exams and there's no doubt in my mind that I've failed. Like you, I feel the same. I know how frustrating it is to see all your hard work go to waste and I know this is easier said than done, but please don't let it try to get to you so much. After my lit exam, I moped around feeling sorry for myself for days but then I realised there was just no point at all. You worked hard for those exams and you know you did, just because you slipped up on the day doesn't mean you're rubbish at it - you know that, your parents know that, your teachers know that. Whatever you get on the day please don't let it bother you too much and hey, who knows, you might have done a lot better than you think. Don't feel like you've let people down - these are YOUR grades, no one else's. Even if the worst comes to worse and you do end up with a grade that you're not too happy with just remember that it's only a GCSE :smile:

Good luck and remember, like you said, you can't do anything to change it now so there's no point obsessing over it.
Reply 3
Original post by luciie
Hi!

I'm sorry to hear what has happened :frown: A similar thing happened to me too with English Lit a few weeks ago. I totally freaked out in both of the exams and there's no doubt in my mind that I've failed. Like you, I feel the same. I know how frustrating it is to see all your hard work go to waste and I know this is easier said than done, but please don't let it try to get to you so much. After my lit exam, I moped around feeling sorry for myself for days but then I realised there was just no point at all. You worked hard for those exams and you know you did, just because you slipped up on the day doesn't mean you're rubbish at it - you know that, your parents know that, your teachers know that. Whatever you get on the day please don't let it bother you too much and hey, who knows, you might have done a lot better than you think. Don't feel like you've let people down - these are YOUR grades, no one else's. Even if the worst comes to worse and you do end up with a grade that you're not too happy with just remember that it's only a GCSE :smile:

Good luck and remember, like you said, you can't do anything to change it now so there's no point obsessing over it.

Hi, thank you for your response :smile:
I'm sorry to hear a similar thing happened to you too :frown: it honestly sucks but nevertheless, I hope you get good results.

Thank you for your advice, I'm going to try and distract myself as much as possible; nothing can be done to change what's already happened. I guess we'll have to wait and see on results day!
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
The only person that matters is you.
If you tried your best , then thats good enough.

There's a simple answer , which is just resit and for goodness sake dont beat yourself up if everything doesn't go to plan. Learn from it and improve.

If you lost your leg, that would be a biggy, underpeforming in a few GCSE's is not. You dont even have the results yet.

Haha, I guess that's a good way to look at things. Guess I'll wait and see on results day. Thank you for your reply :smile:
Yeah, it sucks screwing up in an exam but they're only GCSEs so don't sweat it. If worst comes to the worst and you don't get the grade needed for A-levels then just re-take.
Reply 6

Thanks.

Not my problem.
Reply 7
Original post by luciie
Hi!

I'm not sorry. You just have to understand the concept of hard work which unfortunately lots of people, like you, struggle with.
Reply 8
Original post by Prussia1
I'm not sorry. You just have to understand the concept of hard work which unfortunately lots of people, like you, struggle with.

You could spend months and months revising for an exam and still panic whilst doing it you know?
Reply 9
Original post by luciie
You could spend months and months revising for an exam and still panic whilst doing it you know?

Hahahahahaha!!! No
Reply 10
Hi, thank you for your response :smile:
I'm sorry to hear a similar thing happened to you too :frown: it honestly sucks but nevertheless, I hope you get good results.

Thank you for your advice, I'm going to try and distract myself as much as possible; nothing can be done to change what's already happened. I guess we'll have to wait and see on results day!

It's fine :smile: I hope you get what you want!
Reply 11
Hahahahahaha!!! No

What makes you say that?
Original post by luciie
What makes you say that?

You, this strange being I have the displeasure of communicating with.
Reply 13
You, this strange being I have the displeasure of communicating with.

Hmm okay looks like you don't know how to reply so you've just resorted to insults. Have a nice day :smile:
Original post by luciie
Hmm okay looks like you don't know how to reply so you've just resorted to insults. Have a nice day :smile:

Umm I do know how to reply and I've chosen to reply in this way. Hope I helped!☺️
Reply 15
Umm I do know how to reply and I've chosen to reply in this way. Hope I helped!☺️

I mean replying in a manner that actually answers my question in a proper way :smile:
I know exactly how you feel, i have been there.

I have dealt with it by ACCEPTING(most people hate to do that) the fact that what happened has happened and that i have tried my best to do whatever i could do in that exam.
Original post by luciie
I mean replying in a manner that actually answers my question in a proper way :smile:

You just seem a bit lazy. What's your BMI?
I had a panic attack in the English Language exam too and ended up only doing half of the questions, but you can't worry anymore;you can't change anything, all you can do is carry on with your other exams with your head held high and complete your exams with full focus and commitment. Good luck:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
You just seem a bit lazy. What's your BMI?

What makes you think I'm lazy? :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest