The Student Room Group

Any jobs involving geography?

I want to do a job involving geography but I'm not sure what else to take at a level. Any ideas?
Geography teacher?
Reply 2
Original post by adamodactil
Geography teacher?

I meant a high paying job
Original post by Prussia1
I want to do a job involving geography but I'm not sure what else to take at a level. Any ideas?

I do too, well Ecology/ Marine Biology/ Conservation/Global Warming and that sort of thing. I'm going to do Maths, Biology, Geology& Photography (I didn't do a Geography GCSE so can't do that)

Well, I'm going to do geography (and economics) at university this September if I get the grades.

If you're planning to do a degree, like in geography (assuming as you want a job in geography), most graduate jobs don't need a specific subject.

Jobs involving geography:
- Urban or transport planning
- Environmental Consultant, or work for regulatory bodies like the EA
- Work for a water company like Thames Water (I know someone's relative who works for a water company and earns in excess of £100,000 and they have a geography degree. Don't know what job exactly though.)
- Lecturer at universities

There's more but can't think of any right now.

Maybe chose geography/geology, biology, or maybe a social science?

But definitely biology, geography or geology are you good at these subjects?
Reply 6
Original post by Peppercrunch
Well, I'm going to do geography (and economics) at university this September if I get the grades.

If you're planning to do a degree, like in geography (assuming as you want a job in geography), most graduate jobs don't need a specific subject.

Jobs involving geography:
- Urban or transport planning
- Environmental Consultant, or work for regulatory bodies like the EA
- Work for a water company like Thames Water (I know someone's relative who works for a water company and earns in excess of £100,000 and they have a geography degree. Don't know what job exactly though.)
- Lecturer at universities

There's more but can't think of any right now.

Thanks. Would demographics be a viable job option?
Thanks. Would demographics be a viable job option?

Uhm, I can't think of any jobs solely focussed on demographics. I guess, maybe planning as you need to take into account local demographics, or retail planning about demographics of the potential customers.

I'm guessing it'll probably be more into the researcher/lecturer jobs in which you can select what you want to focus on in geography and earn a wage, as demographics is a very specific area.
Reply 8
Original post by Starlight15
Maybe chose geography/geology, biology, or maybe a social science?

But definitely biology, geography or geology are you good at these subjects?

Well geography definitely since I'm most interested in it (I can name every country and capital on earth and I enjoy reading about geographic articles). I do dual award science ( I'll get either an A and A* or two A*s but I haven't done the full biology course). Never studied geology but some aspects were briefly covered in geography.
Reply 9
Original post by Peppercrunch
Uhm, I can't think of any jobs solely focussed on demographics. I guess, maybe planning as you need to take into account local demographics, or retail planning about demographics of the potential customers.

I'm guessing it'll probably be more into the researcher/lecturer jobs in which you can select what you want to focus on in geography and earn a wage, as demographics is a very specific area.

Well there are governmental institutions that purely focus on trends of the population in various scenarios.
Well geography definitely since I'm most interested in it (I can name every country and capital on earth and I enjoy reading about geographic articles). I do dual award science ( I'll get either an A and A* or two A*s but I haven't done the full biology course). Never studied geology but some aspects were briefly covered in geography.

How many A levels does your sixth form/college allow you to do?

So for your A level options Geography is definite choice, maybe you can chose subjects you enjoy?

Apart from Geography what other subjects do you enjoy?
Reply 11
Original post by Starlight15
How many A levels does your sixth form/college allow you to do?

So for your A level options Geography is definite choice, maybe you can chose subjects you enjoy?

Apart from Geography what other subjects do you enjoy?

4 or 5 with further maths. I was thinking of doing maths, further maths, German (my native language) and geography but I'm unsure what to do for the fourth option.
Reply 12
I meant a high paying job

You're not going to find many that actually actively involves application of skills in geography which is also high paying. I think if you want you can do a geography degree at a top uni and then get a job in a field where degree subject isn't a requirement
Reply 13
4 or 5 with further maths. I was thinking of doing maths, further maths, German (my native language) and geography but I'm unsure what to do for the fourth option.

Economics perhaps? That fits in well.
Reply 14
Original post by drogon
Economics perhaps? That fits in well.

Or English to do travel writing?
Well there are governmental institutions that purely focus on trends of the population in various scenarios.

The only government institution I can think of that does that is the Office for National Statistics.

I guess Defra, DECC, DfT. Forestry Commission, UKSA, and the Ordnance Survey could be also be related, although some more focussed on physical geography than human. They won't be 100% linked to geography though.
Reply 16
Or English to do travel writing?

Perhaps. But it depends on how significant a factor salary is to you.

Quick Reply

Latest