The Student Room Group

6 points on license question

Hi guys

I got a question for new drivers you are not allowed to get 6 points within 2 years or your license gets revoked. I passed recently I was just wondering if I got insured with my parent and sibling and my sibling say got 2 speed tickets = 6 points will my license also get revoked although I was not responsible for those two incidents

Thanks
Hey,

Points on your licence are nothing to do with insurance, they are personal to you. It doesn't matter who your insurance policy covers, if you get a speeding ticket, the points only apply to your licence.

Note however that when renewal comes round, if you continued to have an insurance policy that covered you and your sibling, their driving history (the two speeding tickets) would affect the premium, costing you more to renew however.

Robert
Original post by rmhumphries
Hey,

Points on your licence are nothing to do with insurance, they are personal to you. It doesn't matter who your insurance policy covers, if you get a speeding ticket, the points only apply to your licence.

Note however that when renewal comes round, if you continued to have an insurance policy that covered you and your sibling, their driving history (the two speeding tickets) would affect the premium, costing you more to renew however.

Robert

I am not talking about insurance but being excluded from driving for getting 6 points the rule that applies to new drivers
Original post by ineedtorevise127
I am not talking about insurance but being excluded from driving for getting 6 points the rule that applies to new drivers

See my first sentence
Reply 4
Only the person committing the offence gets the fine and the points. If you sibling commits the offence of speeding then it is they who will get the points on their licence. You will have done nothing wrong unless you somehow caused, permitted, aided, abetted, counselled or procured the offence.
Reply 5
Original post by ineedtorevise127

By law you (or your sibling) has to inform your insurer about any traffic offences including speeding. So if your sibling got 6 points your license would remain, but potentially your insurance would be cancelled. So bear that in mind.
Original post by Dez
By law you (or your sibling) has to inform your insurer about any traffic offences including speeding. So if your sibling got 6 points your license would remain, but potentially your insurance would be cancelled. So bear that in mind.

I know insurance companies are scum, but surely they would just remove the relevant driver from the policy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending