The Student Room Group

University's access to my tuition fee loan application

Does my university have access to information regarding my previous studies at another university in another country (withdrawal after 2 semesters) or is this information entirely and only for SFE?
(edited 7 years ago)
Pretty sure that SFE does share information with universities, yes. If you told SFE about your foreign study then your university will probably find about it too. Why didn't you declare your foreign university study on UCAS?
Because when I was applying via UCAS I never attended any university.

The thing is, I applied in 2014 for entry in 2015. I got accepted. And then due to a difficult situation at home I was forced to stay in my home country and was unable to start my studies in the UK. But because it was my dream uni and I really wanted to study there, I asked for a deferred entry. They agreed and I'm about to start in September. During that year I enrolled at a university here (mostly due to family reasons) with intention to drop out after a year. I just wonder if this year might in any way affect my deferred entry.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Anna_G
Because when I was applying via UCAS I never attended any university.

The thing is, I applied in 2014 for entry in 2015. I got accepted. And then due to a difficult situation at home I was forced to stay in my home country and was unable to start my studies in the UK. But because it was my dream uni and I really wanted to study there, I asked for a deferred entry. They agreed and I'm about to start in September. During that year I enrolled at a university here (mostly due to family reasons) with intention to drop out after a year. I just wonder if this year might in any way affect my deferred entry.

I see, well in that case there shouldn't be any problem with the university/keeping your deferred offer.

However, because all previous university study (in the UK or abroad) is taken into account when you apply for a student loan, you might lose your 'gift year'. Most people don't use their gift year so I wouldn't worry about it, just be aware that if you fail a year, you won't get a student loan to redo it.
I'm aware of that.
What I worry about is... That if you decide to defer your entry you usually go for a gap year (well, in the UK). I spent that year attending a uni at another country (although I even didn't finish the year). Should that be any problem? Should I contact my uni and tell them about that? Or they don't really care what I did for the last year?
Original post by Anna_G
I'm aware of that.
What I worry about is... That if you decide to defer your entry you usually go for a gap year (well, in the UK). I spent that year attending a uni at another country (although I even didn't finish the year). Should that be any problem? Should I contact my uni and tell them about that? Or they don't really care what I did for the last year?

There won't be a problem. You could inform your university about it, but there isn't any need to and frankly they won't care anyway.
Got another question, not sure where to put it, so I'll just leave it here.
Perhaps someone from SFE will be able to give me an answer.

If I applied for a tuition fee loan for 2015/2016 but then cancelled my application, because of my decision to defer entry at the university, can this fact that I applied last year (together with the fact that I've studied in Poland for a year) somehow influence my eligibity to receive funding for this year? In the end I got £0 and my application was cancelled before the start of the course. I know there's this policy of funding for 1+3 years, I know that I've already used my gift year because of this year in Poland, but the fact that I applied for funding for 2015/2016 and in the end deferred entry and never attended uni in the UK, won't prevent me from getting funding for this year? I will still be able to get full funding for 3 years?
Hi Anna_G

A previous application will not affect your eligibility. Please send a new student application and we will assess this. We may ask for evidence of the studies you have done outside of the UK.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending