The Student Room Group

Will I need to memorise quotes for A level?

Will I have to write a lot of essays during the year that are part of/not part of coursework? Also how many books and pieces would I have to read, you probably couldn’t give me a precise answer because every college has different exam boards but if I was doing AQA? I know I’m asking a lot of questions and all but I really don’t know what to expect. Also will I have a book or the text that I’m writing about in the exam with me or will I need to memorise certain quotes? Also is it too much work to be doing it with two equally if not harder subjects: Biology and Chemistry? Please answer, thanks.
which subject are you referring to about quotes?

Original post by gryffindor2460
Will I have to write a lot of essays during the year that are part of/not part of coursework? Also how many books and pieces would I have to read, you probably couldn’t give me a precise answer because every college has different exam boards but if I was doing AQA? I know I’m asking a lot of questions and all but I really don’t know what to expect. Also will I have a book or the text that I’m writing about in the exam with me or will I need to memorise certain quotes? Also is it too much work to be doing it with two equally if not harder subjects: Biology and Chemistry? Please answer, thanks.
Original post by gryffindor2460

It's English, of course you will have to write essays... You have to practice your essay-writing style and develop them at usually a fast pace, especially if you're doing the AS exams. You won't start coursework until May/June.

At AS, you will study 4 texts. Usually 2 prose and one drama and one poetry anthology. Or if you pick the A-level (without AS exams), you'll have to study 8 texts over the two years which is hardly anything where the old spec, you had to study 12!

Your question whether your exam will be either an open or closed book examination is dependent upon your exam board. You need to find out by looking at AQA's website.

I can't say it's harder than those subjects as A) I never did those and B) A-level is subjective. One person can tell you it's easy to get an A and another can tell you it's so easy to memorise quotes. How you find it is how you find out. Don't rely on everyone's thoughts as it's not that black or white.

Hope you enjoy it!
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending