The Student Room Group

Resiting all my exams???

I've finished all my GCSEs but I don't feel I've done even close to my best and I've been considering resiting all my exams , would that mean I would have to stay at school another year and take my exams June 2017 or could I still go to college and resit my exams there???
You don't really need to resit GCSEs... they are not that important. What grades do you think you got?
Maths C
English language A/B
English literature C/B
Spanish D/C
Media A/B
History C/D
Science C/D
I just feel I can do so much better and before my GCSEs I was confident I would get the grades I needed for the a levels I wanted but now I've done them I don't feel I can do the subjects that i want too
You can resit them in college but you're not gonna do well doing all the AS exams aswell as those resits. A level exams need way more work than gcse ones.

As long as you get 5 gcses with above c in english maths and science it doesn't really matter what your gcses are, unless you're applying for medicine or some other highly competitive course in top university.
I honestly don't know what to do I wanted to take chemistry physics maths and history at A level because I would still get UCAS points for the one I would drop after the first year but to take a science I would need a b in maths which I don't think I've got and my history exams both went awful , I just wish I had pushed myself because I didn't bother with revision for most exams until the night before
same I revise for the night before and I got good grades(a's) when I felt I had failed some sixth form have entry requirements of c to do chemistry and bio .so don't beat you self up
Reply 6
urghhh i have to retake maths in nov
I have no clue what to do
Reply 8
Original post by Nikichaclayton
I have no clue what to do

Honestly GCSEs are really not that important compared to A Levels, but like somebody said, unless you're applying for highly competitive courses.
Is your school not going to allow you to do the A Levels you want to do based on your GCSE grades? What do they do about one who don't have the necessary grades to do anything?
Reply 9
i don't think you are allowed to resit all your gcse's.
Reply 10
I honestly don't know what to do I wanted to take chemistry physics maths and history at A level because I would still get UCAS points for the one I would drop after the first year but to take a science I would need a b in maths which I don't think I've got and my history exams both went awful , I just wish I had pushed myself because I didn't bother with revision for most exams until the night before

Honestly, if those are the grades you think you got in your gcse exams than I don't think the sciences and maths are wise choices. As everyone says they are immensely more difficult at A level so if you do not achieve at least B's at gcse's you are likely to struggle.
That being said, if you are an A grade student that just didn't do as well due to last minute revision, difficult exams etc then you should but if you are not that academically able then it wouldn't be a good idea in my opinion.
Of course you know your ability so it is all up to you, I don't want to come across rude or offensive.
Original post by abbigm1
Honestly, if those are the grades you think you got in your gcse exams than I don't think the sciences and maths are wise choices. As everyone says they are immensely more difficult at A level so if you do not achieve at least B's at gcse's you are likely to struggle.
That being said, if you are an A grade student that just didn't do as well due to last minute revision, difficult exams etc then you should but if you are not that academically able then it wouldn't be a good idea in my opinion.
Of course you know your ability so it is all up to you, I don't want to come across rude or offensive.

No I completely understand were on the same page , I would say I'm a B grade student but I think I'm capable of being an A grade student if I tried as hard as I could
Reply 12
No I completely understand were on the same page , I would say I'm a B grade student but I think I'm capable of being an A grade student if I tried as hard as I could

Well if that is the case I think it is only worth resitting the more important subjects such as maths and english, other than that I don't think you can retake gcse's as 5 C+ grades is considered the minimum so if you say I want to retake them as I want more B's and above I don't think you would be allowed.
And honestly gcses are not that important, my brother failed two of his subjects and got quite mediocre grades but his GCSE's were barely took into consideration by uni's as he received all offers and these Uni's are in the top 10-15 best uni's.
Reply 13
I've finished all my GCSEs but I don't feel I've done even close to my best and I've been considering resiting all my exams , would that mean I would have to stay at school another year and take my exams June 2017 or could I still go to college and resit my exams there???

You can resist them as IGCSE'S Plus you can subjects such as IGCSE law that very few schools do for an example:smile: I am rethinking to redo a lot of my exams and I am thinking to do IGCSE'S :smile: Anyways plus I think you have done a lot better then you think!:smile: Also not all colleges re sit all the exams for the subjects so your best option is to get them done privately:biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by babznd
You can resist them as IGCSE'S Plus you can subjects such as IGCSE law that very few schools do for an example:smile: I am rethinking to redo a lot of my exams and I am thinking to do IGCSE'S :smile: Anyways plus I think you have done a lot better then you think!:smile: Also not all colleges re sit all the exams for the subjects so your best option is to get them done privately:biggrin:

Would you be doing exam in the new specification or old?
Reply 15
Original post by sayan999
Would you be doing exam in the new specification or old?

I am not really sure, It depends what you do I guess!:smile:
Not much point in resitting GCSEs especially when you've finished already. As others have pointed out, A Levels are much, much. more important.
I resat my A levels this year and went to an exam centre. It was perfectly fine. I passed my A levels but still wasn't satisfied.

Quick Reply

Latest